The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 7, 2016, 11:07 PM   #1
tgtate

Buying a CMP M1 Garand

Soon I'll have a little bit of spending money, and I'm looking at picking up my own piece of American history from the Civilian Marksmanship Program! What I would like to know is: What grade should I buy? It will either be Field grade or Service grade. I'd really like to have one that is somewhat aesthetically appealing (mainly matching furniture, not concerned with dings) and more importantly, one that is in mechanically acceptable condition. Let me know how your experiences were!
Old May 7, 2016, 11:54 PM   #2
firewrench044

Get the service grade
Expect some finish wear on metal, dings and dents in stock
Stock may need refinished or what I usually do is get one of their
new stocks
Service grade has muzzle wear of 3 to 5 on the gauge, so it should
OK on accuracy but not great

Be careful about ammo--
most ammo available at stores is too powerful for the Garand and
will damage the gun ( usually the operating rod ( op rod ))
The CMP has a good price on ammo for these guns
or you can load your own ammo
Old May 8, 2016, 04:16 AM   #3
l.cutler

A lot of the service grades come through with new stocks. I was hoping for a GI stock so I went with field grade. I was fortunate and got a Dec. 1944 receiver with original barrel. Don't expect matching parts, these rifles have all been rebuilt many times and are a mix of parts.
Old May 8, 2016, 05:56 AM   #4
Orlando

While some Field Grades are decent they are a total crap shoot mail order. Most are canidates for a rebarrel and still fall within grade description. I would not mail order less than a service grade
Old May 8, 2016, 07:43 AM   #5
1stmar

I too would recommend a service grade. CMP will sometimes try to honor your request. If on the order form or if you call in, they may look for matching furniture. I have 2 special grades, 1 has been converted to a mini g w a new stock. No accuracy work done other than the new stock. 1.5moa. The other is reasonably low 5 digit sn w the stick replaced at some point, it's 2.5moa. With some shims it will shoot closer to 1.5moa. They can be good shooters.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:10 AM   #6
springer99

Service grade definitely, and don't wait too long to make the jump. Although there will be some around for the longterm, the pickings have been getting thinner and thinner in the recent years. As others have said, all will have a mixture of parts as they've been rebuilt in service a number of times. Don't worry about that. The stocks can also have a mixture of parts, which might or might not blend well in grain, color, etc.

IF you are close to the North or South stores, I'd suggest stopping by and asking for help in picking out your piece American history. The guys are very helpful in showing you what to look for, have gauges available, and will find you what you want.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:19 AM   #7
tgtate

Ok, service grade it is! I have another question about the requirements. Do you just have to have a Garand Collector's Association membership, or do you have to be involved in a firearm related activity too. I saw that you also qualify for the firearm related activity with a C&R License, so I may apply for one of those to qualify
Old May 8, 2016, 09:48 AM   #8
springer99

Best to check the CMP website as, I believe, the requirements for firearms related activities is different, depending on age
Old May 8, 2016, 01:04 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Start here. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sa...-requirements/
Only age thing mentioned is you're over 18. No price breaks for the old or young. snicker.
Field Grade Rifles are in Fair to Good condition. Used but safe to shoot. Probably needs re-crowning.
Service Grade Rifles are in Good to Very Good.
3 to 6 months from order date delivery time for either. $100 difference in price. Spend the $100 on the Service Grade.
"You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures." "...does not have to be with high power rifles;..."
Old May 8, 2016, 02:04 PM   #10
tgtate

"Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP."- from the CMP Eligibility page. I've got a family friend who is a game warden. I've shot with him on my land and I'm sure I could get him to sign off on it.
Old May 8, 2016, 03:20 PM   #11
firewrench044

If the Game Warden is a certified law enforcement officer his statement will do
for that requirement
You do need to belong to an affiliated club or organization, the Garand
Collectors is one of these and is easy to join
Old May 9, 2016, 05:05 AM   #12
Orlando

The M1 Collectors Club is the cheapest way to go for club membership. It does everything the GCA does only cheaper but no qursaterly publication. They actually process your memership alot faster than the GCA and it only
$14 per year
Old May 9, 2016, 06:30 PM   #13
Ernest T

The CMP just delivered my latest SG rifle last week. This one had a TE of 1 and an ME of 1, with a new CMP walnut stock. This rifle looked new. I haven't always had this kind of luck with CMP rifles, but it just shows what may be possible.

For your first rifle I'd definitely recommend an SG, or if you want to something you know will be beautiful and a great shooter, get the Special. I've got one of those in 308 and it is a tack driver. Photo below of the Special:

With a C&R license you still need a club membership, and as others have mentioned the Garand Collectors Association is probably the most popular and easy to join.

Don't wait too long. There is not an unlimited supply of rifles, and now that the CMP is putting most of the SGs in new wood indicates to me that they may be toward the end of the current supply. It took about 3 months from the time I submitted my order until I received my rifle, so get your stuff together and get your order in!
Old May 11, 2016, 07:56 PM   #14
billj47

Definately Service grade

Just got my second Garand. First one was in 2013. Like new HRA with new walnut stock. 1954 vintage Muzzle 2+ and throat 3. Second one I got today.
Springfield 1943 vintage with Muzzle 2 and throat 2+. New CMP walnut stock. i too have not had a disappointment with CMP.
Also have a couple of Carbines - 44 Winchester 0+ Muzzle and 1+ throat. Exceptionable condition. Really and fine rifle. And a 43 Saginaw from 2009 that is also more than acceptable.

Don't be afraid of getting something you don't like. You can send it back if you don't like it.

Have fun! As to the CMP membership criteria-- A listed gun club, American Legion, VFW, DAV or any military gets you in. Just follow the directions they are quite easy.