The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2018, 06:56 PM   #1
jmstr

Rem V3- why only 3 rounds?

Hello All,

Just curious as to why the Remington V3 only accepts 3 rounds in the tube?
  • Is it so they could match the name?
  • Is it because it is designed primarily for hunting [and not sport shooting games/3 gun/etc?]
  • Is it because of balance?
  • Is it because it 'looks' right?

Just wondering if anyone actually knows- rather than has good guesses.

Thanks
Old June 20, 2018, 09:20 PM   #2
jmr40

I can't tell you why Remington decided to go with 3 rounds vs 4, but everyone else that does that does it for reasons #3, and #4 on your list.

All of the clays games such as skeet, trap, and sporting clays allow a max of 2 rounds in the mag and chamber, so there is no reason for the mag to hold more than 1 round for those games. There have been guns designed with a 1 round magazine to use for the clays games. The longer 4+ mag tubes negatively effect balance and are handicap for those games.

Having 3+1 capability is a compromise for hunting, and many, maybe most states limit you to 2+1 anyway. That is a requirement for waterfowl hunting and many states simplify the regs by requiring 2+1 for everything. Others let you load more for other game.

The combat shotgun games are much different. Even most of the guys who are using guns that came with 4+1 mags use extended tubes in order to load 7+ shells. While I don't know specifically about this gun, you can probably buy extended tubes if you want. They are available for most common shotguns.

Winston Churchill
Old June 20, 2018, 09:45 PM   #3
B.L.E.

Most likely because the target market is hunting and clay birds. Not everyone wants a magazine tube so long that it looks like a second barrel, especially if game laws make you plug it to two rounds anyway.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Model12Win

It's a sporting shotgun, as in traditional hunting use and for clays. Three is all you'd ever need (or are even allowed to use or even less) for both of those uses.
Old June 21, 2018, 01:01 AM   #5
jmstr

Thanks all!

I am just curious.

The VersaMax [the inspiration for the V3, I hear] has a tube capacity of 3 also.

However, the 11-87 and the 1100 have a tube capacity of 4.

I am ok with 3- just curious.

I hope to never need more than 2.

For 'tac' type stuff, I'd probably get a longer barreled pump anyway, as I 'd be worried about clearing jams in a semi-auto shotgun in that situation.

Hunting ducks, or those pesky clay Squab in the area, doesn't leave me as concerned about missed shots due to mechanical error.

Thank you all!
Old June 21, 2018, 08:27 AM   #6
MarkCO

The VM was 3 to fit in the same length as their other shotguns that were 4 shells, but with a 3.5" shell capacity. The VM Competition (which I designed for Remington) was 8 or 10 depending on if you used the 2 shot extension on the monotube.

The V3 was intended to compete in the 2-3/4" and 3" market for the Clay games and upland hunting. Going to 3" and shaving some weight. While some of the answers above sound good, I suspect that the 3 round had more to do with the lowest bidder and or using a design they already had in hand for a tube to save pennies.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:08 AM   #7
jmstr

Thanks MarkCO!

Good insight!

I was wondering about all of that. Cool shotgun you designed also!

Am I right in thinking that the thought was the VM Competition will work for all of those larger games, with 2 3/4" shells, so there was no need to develop a V3 that had similar capability?

Seems logical: no need to cannibalize sales. And no worries about 'short stroking' by accident, like with a 870 SuperMag [which I have also- but haven't experienced].

Thank you for the insight!
Old June 21, 2018, 11:43 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

Water fowl hunting. No more than 3 in the gun allowed by International Treaty. So even a 3 round mag requires a plug.
Old June 25, 2018, 09:04 AM   #9
MarkCO

Snow Geese, we load em up to 10 and 12 rounds. 14 geese in 10 seconds is my current best.

The 3.5" loading port on the VM makes it a little easier to Twin and Quad load as opposed to the 3" ports, so that is the main reason we kept the VM as the competition model, even though the V3 had been conceptualized at the time.
Old September 7, 2018, 09:16 PM   #10
oldshotty

Just curious as to why the Remington V3 only accepts 3 rounds in the tube?
1) Is it so they could match the name?
2) Is it because it is designed primarily for hunting and not sport shooting games/3 gun/etc?
3) Is it because of balance?
4) Is it because it 'looks' right?

1) V3 means Versaport/3 inch
2) Yes, future tactical model's will have extensions
3) Kind of, form follows function light weight was key
4) not really

Last edited by oldshotty; September 7, 2018 at 10:15 PM.