The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do You Shoot Lead?
Yep, for many reasons including me being cool and not a sissy 86 90.53%
No only jacketed or plated for me, I'm a sissy (nose upturned) 6 6.32%
I don't but am thinking about it 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 12, 2018, 11:45 PM   #51
the Black Spot

I shoot lead......whats a jacketed bullet?..
Old October 13, 2018, 07:34 PM   #52
joed

I still shoot lead in pistols but have no plans on ever using lead in any rifle I own.

Used to actually have a casting business and sold mountains of Keith style bullets. Only make them for myself now.
Old October 24, 2018, 04:33 PM   #53
dagger dog

38 special, 45 Auto, 45 Colt, 45-70, 22 Hornet, the 45 Colt and 45-70 haven't shot anything but cast.
Old October 24, 2018, 09:36 PM   #54
Eddietruett

I shoot jacketed bullets for deer hunting only. Everything else is lead. For rabbit fart target loads, I used swaged HBWC and everything else is HyTek Coated Lead. Shot plated for the longest time mainly because it was so clean to shoot. The HeTek Coated lead is just as clean, just as accurate and a whole lot cheaper. Also, I can push Coated Lead as fast as jacketed using a lighter charge of powder.
Old October 25, 2018, 11:34 AM   #55
sundog

I started shooting in the mid 50's when my uncle gifted me a Daisy (scoped no less!). Then it was .22s, shotguns, then center fires.

I've been casting and hand loading since early 70s - tens of thousands of them, in just about anything/everything.
Old October 27, 2018, 07:38 PM   #56
rodfac

PaulB, excellent post...my feelings mirror yours and have for the past 62 years of "loading my own". Rod

Quote:
I've been reloading and shooting for 64 years. With some exceptions, I'd have to estimate that I shot my own home cast bullets probably 85 percent of the time in my reloads. That's for rifles and handguns. I loaded 175 gr. cast in the 30-30 for deer and they worked just fine. Same bullet in the 06 made for good target practice. Worked just fine in the .308 as well. I almost never use factory ammo in my handguns. In fact the only factory handgun ammo I have right now is what is in my CCW gun. Frankly, I would much prefer my hand load with a 158 gr. cast SWC.
There is something about being able to make your own bullets. If you have a supply of primers, the proper powder and the metal to cast, this bring about a certain feeling of independence. it's a good feeling.
Paul B.
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.