The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 19, 2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Jacket67

Bolt gun suggestions

My buddies and I just spent today on the range. We shot everything from handguns, to ARs, to long guns out to 400 yards. I brought my AR and 30-06 to shoot, and quickly realized the 06 is not a fun range toy. My shoulder is not thanking me at the moment. Anyway, today basically solidified my plans to purchase a bolt action rifle in a shorter chambering for range fun as well as hunting. The rifle that has my eye at the moment the is ruger american in 7.62x39. I think it'd be a great range toy given the caliber and it being mag fed, but also a great deer/hog rifle. Other than this range, I never see anything passed 200 yards because the woods I hunt are fairly dense.

I know some people aren't thrilled about it, and some are. I looked up an older post on this rifle recently. Anyway, I think it'd be a great gun all around, but I'm open to other suggestions you all have regarding mag fed bolt action rifles that fit thrilled his he range toy/hunting niche. I'd prefer detachable mag fed options, but all suggestions are welcome.

I'd like to add rhat the RAR in 7.62x39 got on my radar because it'd be great paired with an AK47. Don't have one at the moment, but definitely want one some day. Do you think this factor carries some weight in deciding on this caliber for the RAR?

Thanks in advance!
Old December 19, 2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Wrought

A 7.62x39 would be a handy little whitetail plinker. You could buy a ton of surplus ammo and shoot it at the range and as for the akm (a true ak47 is one made under the old blueprint before 1959, an ak made after 59 is an akm) theyre some most reliable and affordable and predictable semi automatic rifles on the market id be very pleased with that setup. The I.O AKM247 is a higher quality american made ak though you should always handle them before buying especially if theyre foreign.
Old December 20, 2017, 09:06 AM   #3
tobnpr

It'll do the job on suitable size game at short range, and ammo is certainly cheap enough to make it an affordable plinker- but certainly not to be considered a target rifle, especially if you're going to shoot it out to 200 yards. That round drops like a brick...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 20, 2017, 10:34 AM   #4
kraigwy

For affordable, and supper accurate you might look at the Ruger American Predator.

I ended up with 3, a 6.5 CM, a 204 Ruger, and a 223.

The cheapest to shoot of just about any rifle is the 223. Tons of cheap ammo out there without having to go to the junk steal case crap.

With more and more states allowing it to be used in deer/antelope class animals hunting, more companies are coming out with >60 gr hunting bullets.

The RAP 223 has a 1:8 twist barrel so it is capable of shooting 80 gr bullets. But those have to be loaded long and wont fit the magazine. But for accurate long range shooting, if you want to load from the mag the 77 gr SMK is hard to beat.

After some shopping around and dickering I got my 223 RAP for $330, the other two were right at $400.

All come with threaded barrels for brakes or suppressors.

I know the 204 and 223 arnt known to be heavy kickers, but I put brakes on mine anyway (as I did on the 6.5).

Lots of prairie dogs around here and I like to watch them hit. The brakes eliminate muzzle jump.

Midway often has sales of 223 bulk ammo, cheap, clean and accurate, comparable and often beating the prices of the junk surplus crap with steel bullets which can and do spark causing grass fires.

People shooting steel bullets are going to get us kicked off public lands for shooting because of the fire hazards. Many ranged ban them for that reason.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 20, 2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

I'm kinda wondering what your 30-'06 is like and how many rounds you sent downrange to get your shoulder sore. I know that in a light-weight rifle, or one that doesn't fit you well, it can be punishing to shoot more than a few rounds. But in a full-weight Sporter with a serviceable recoil pad, I would be good for 2 or 3 boxes of ammo, depending on bullet weight, etc. For those that reload their ammo, the 30-'06 can be down-loaded to milder levels with lighter bullets for practice ammo to allow more trigger-time on the rifle you hunt with.
Old December 20, 2017, 02:11 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...your .30-06..." Needs a recoil pad. Pachmayr makes a slip on that works and doesn't cost a pile of money. And you can load it with lighter bullets to make it more fun.
"...paired with an AK47..." Highly unlikely they'd both shoot the same ammo the same way. Mind you, with a AK that probably doesn't matter much. The Ruger will shoot circles around it anyway.
200 yards is really too far for the 7.62 x 39. Hornady 123 grain SST's sighted in 3.5" high at 100 is on target at 200 but with too little remaining energy for deer. 841 ft-lbs according to Hornady. Good for out to 100 though. Federal's 123 grain SP isn't any better either.
Old December 20, 2017, 02:14 PM   #7
jmr40

I like the American, but the 7.62X39 wouldn't be my top pick as to caliber. The only advantage it offers is the ability to use hi-cap Mini 30 magazines. And that may be enough of an advantage for you. I'm hoping they offer the same option soon in 223. No reason they can't do it. I already have 3 RAR's in 223, 308 and 6.5 Creed. I'd buy another 223 if it takes Mini-14 or AR magazines.

The 7.62X39 cartridge is capable enough for your needs but the really accurate stuff isn't cheap.

Winston Churchill
Old December 20, 2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Mr. Hill

Man, based on what everyone is talking about, the 6.5 Creedmoor sounds right for your needs. You could also try a .243 Winchester.
Old December 20, 2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Wyosmith

If you don't load your own ammo I would advise you to stay with a 223 or a 7.62X39.

If you do load your own, the possibilities open up way more
Old December 20, 2017, 04:13 PM   #10
RC20

Far more inclined to 6.5 Creed or Lapua

I shoot a 30-06 bull barrel, 1 inch pad and it still can be a bit much after a days shooting at the range (granted 8 hours and 150 rounds or more)

About 1/3 x 308, 1/3 7.5 Swiss (custom rifle with pad not K31) and 1/3 06.
Old December 20, 2017, 04:54 PM   #11
Dr. A

I reload for dozens of different calibers and enjoy all of them, but can get tired of reloading. My son and I have concentrated lately on the easily available popular calibers like the 7.62x39, 223 and others. I shoot my CZ 527 with 7.62x39, and its definitely one of my favorite calibers. We can easily tune it into shooting and hitting at 400 yards, and have killed a deer at 170 plus yards one time. Current ammo is adequate for hunting, and it can be improved upon by hand loads. Sounds like you could make use of that Ruger with ease. Something not to overlook is the newer caliber 6.5 Grendel. I got the new CZ 527 in that caliber, and its exceedingly easy to hit at 500 yards and up, where the others are not quite as effective. Its still functionally a shorter range hunter, but I believe I'd trust it to 300 yards. I have a friend that has easily killed coyotes with it at that range. Wolf is making cheap 6,5 Grendel plinker ammo. Its not the most accurate, but certainly good enough for my 505 yard plate on my farm. Its very easy shooting, and at least one of these calibers (223, 7.62x39, and 6.5 Grendel) should be included in everyone's closet because of the cost of ammo. I don't think Ruger makes the 6.5 Grendel yet, but wonder how long it could be before its offered. I believe the CZ 527 6.5 is currently being sold like hot cakes. Howa also offers a 6.5 Grendel. Have fun!
Old December 20, 2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Jacket67

It sounds like should have offered more background info on myself so you all know where I'm coming from.

I'm a college student so I do not have the time to commit to reloading. I want a widely available, affordable caliber for target shooting and hunting. I'm from south georgia, and yesterday at my friend's place was the first and only place I've EVER had the opportunity to shoot out to 400 yards and beyond. Most places around here (particularly my 40 acres) are pretty dense and shots max out at around 100-150 yards.

As for my 30-06, it's a nostalgia piece. It was my dad's rifle before he passed, so it's out-dated in terms of modern technology: very light weight, and has a raised scope to allow for iron sight shooting, and the scope isn't the best. It is my only bolt gun and I want something more affordable and more fun to shoot with. Hence my choice of the RAR in 7.62x39, or something very similar.

I hope that helps you all get an idea of where I'm coming from. Thanks for the input so far!

Last edited by Jacket67; December 20, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old December 20, 2017, 06:41 PM   #13
hseII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket67 View Post
It sounds like should have offered more background info on myself so you all know where I'm coming from.

I'm a college student so I do not have the time to commit to reloading. I want a widely available, affordable caliber for target shooting and hunting. I'm from south georgia, and yesterday at my friend's place was the first and only place I've EVER had the opportunity to shoot out to 400 yards and beyond. Most places around here (particularly my 40 acres) are pretty dense and shots max out at around 100-150 yards.

As for my 30-06, it's a nostalgia piece. It was my dad's rifle before he passed, so it's out-dated in terms of modern technology: very light weight, and has a raised scope to allow for iron sight shooting, and the scope isn't the best. It is my only bolt gun and I want something more affordable and more fun to shoot with. Hence my choice of the RAR in 7.62x39, or something very similar.

I hope that helps you all get an idea of where I'm coming from. Thanks for the input so far!

RAR In 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08.

Budget $300 for a decent Scope, & look for Premium Ammo from Hornady.

You’ll be good for your Goal.
Old December 20, 2017, 07:34 PM   #14
std7mag

Get a better recoil pad for the 06'.
Have a smith remove the irons.
Put lower rings on.
Better scope.

Enjoy your 06'
Old December 20, 2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

Affordable to shoot in high volume and not reload? 22 Long Rifle.

Hunt big game? 30-'06 Springfield.

You could get a 243 Winchester.

Or, you could try this in your 30-'06: https://www.remington.com/ammunition...managed-recoil

You didn't mention the brand and model of your current rifle....

About this:
Quote:
Get a better recoil pad for the 06'.
Have a smith remove the irons.
Put lower rings on.
Better scope.

Enjoy your 06'
I concur with this advice with the exception that I would probably keep the iron sights.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:33 PM   #16
Jacket67

Quote:
You didn't mention the brand and model of your current rifle....
Savage model 110 series e
Old December 21, 2017, 03:35 AM   #17
Pathfinder45

In that case, those are supposed to be the easiest to swap out barrels to another caliber and you can keep the original barrel to change back anytime you want. Some Savage fans will probably chime in soon and tell you all about it.
Old December 21, 2017, 08:15 AM   #18
GeauxTide

Might consider the Grendel. Howa and CZ make bolts for this wonderful caliber. My AR prints .3" for five shots. I'm with the others if you don't reload. If you're going to use your '06, then get a Boyd's stock with a KickEZE pad.
Old December 21, 2017, 09:32 AM   #19
tobnpr

Quote:
I'm a college student so I do not have the time to commit to reloading.
Seems many just like to proffer their personal favorite "flavor", without listening to you.
You're looking for an affordable "range toy"- not a target rifle, that can double for short-range whitetail and smallish hog, and will take the same ammo as an AK.

College student on a budget, that doesn't handload- and at 1/4- 1/5 the cost per round compared the Creedmoor and others- the x39 will do what you want within it's limitations.

Wyosmith offered the only other, still-cheap-to-shoot ammo in the .223/5.56, worth considering.

I don't see a long action Savage being a suitable candidate for re-barreling to this due to feed issues (short action could be done, with new mag and bolthead).
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 21, 2017, 09:40 AM   #20
Nathan

Frankly, for bolt action range fun, 223 Rem, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmor, 308 Win all make WAY more sense to me. I'm assuming your goals are accuracy, ease of shooting, general practice, easy to reload or buy ammo for.

Actually, 223 Rem with a fast twist like 1:8 or 1:9 might really be something fun.

The x39 is really a great semi or full auto military round. Good for short range and has a heavy bullet. It's tapered case, high brass price, weird bore dia make it tough to buy as a fun gun. I would bet accuracy is bad with steel case and marginal with reloaded ammo.

And yes, I read your post. Still, you will likely expand this hobby after college which may include reloading!

Last edited by Nathan; December 21, 2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old December 21, 2017, 10:40 AM   #21
PlatinumCore16

I think your current goals and reasoning make sense to me. I would say sell your 30-06, buy a Ruger in 7.62x39 and you'll get out of it what you put in: a reliable rifle that will fit your budget and stated purpose. And you can start stocking up on ammo so when you do get into an AK or clone, you can blast away at the range without a huge upfront investment. Heck maybe you even have the time/money to get into reloading at that point.

EDIT: Was searching for something else, but found this and thought it might be useful to you: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...&highlight=mvp

Last edited by PlatinumCore16; December 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old December 21, 2017, 01:09 PM   #22
Pathfinder45

I would sell or trade off the rifle too, if it weren't for the fact that it's inherited from an honorable progenitor. And remember, a 30-'06 is one of the best candidates for a rifle that does it all.
Old December 21, 2017, 02:51 PM   #23
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
I would sell or trade off the rifle too, if it weren't for the fact that it's inherited from an honorable progenitor. And remember, a 30-'06 is one of the best candidates for a rifle that does it all.
Ah, thank you Pathfinder for alerting me to that, I was unaware that the '06 in question was a historical hand down. In that case I certainly wouldn't sell it if it means that much to you. I'm sure it would to me.

Hence the real issue behind your budget. In that case, I whole-heartedly agree with a RAR in x39. You will (always) have the 30-06 if you ever were to move to a location where you have a 300yd+ range to shoot at, but until that time, you have a rifle that won't beat up your shoulder, runs on cheap ammo, mag-fed(I also like this, but realize it is a personal preference), and you can share ammo with another firearm in the future.

I myself just traded in a 30-06 Rem 770 and a Handi single shot shotgun to get a C308. I already bought a Savage 308, so I went from 2 sets of long cartidges to 1 AND the neither the 770 nor the shotgun was much fun due to fitment/accessories; the 770 scope didn't have enough eye relief to be usable and the shotgun punched me in the face due to (lack of)weight and LoP.

So with all your variables on the line, I would say that because of your future want of an AK, your current range and specified usage, I still stand by yes to a RAR in x39. But I will temper my response about the Savage 110. Hope you keep it around to give you your children one day. Now maybe you trade up the AR to get rid of ANOTHER cartridge and get into an AK that much quicker
Old December 21, 2017, 04:15 PM   #24
Jacket67

PlatinumCore, thanks for that link, I have actually read that post before making this one. It's what got me to realize that rifle is a good candidate for what I want! Calibers such as 6.5 creedmoor are just a bit too pricey for me to enjoy as a range gun. Great for accuracy and hunting, but I'd probably only shoot a few rounds before I put it back up. I have considered the RAR in .223/5.56, but I want a bigger bullet for hunting. I really like the mini 30 mags on the RAR too, it would just allow me to shoot more rounds before having to reload on the range.

I love my 30-06, and love that caliber as a whole. My savage will always be around and will remain my primary hunting rifle. I'd love to build one from the ground up for long range shooting, but that's further down the road. I just think the RAR fits the niche that I want in a rifle right now.

Thanks for everyone's input!!! I'll start my search for a scope to put on it now. I'll probably make another post about that subject in the not so distant future!
Old December 21, 2017, 04:45 PM   #25
RIDE-RED 350r

I always considered the 7.62x39 to be ballistically very similar to a 30-30. Obviously, plenty of 30-30 levers can turn in some pretty respectable 100yd groups from lever rifles equipped with glass or a good open sight shooter on the trigger. But in my opinion, if I wanted something to have more fun punching paper and trying to shoot smaller groups, I would look at something other than a 7.62x39. As others mentioned, how about a 243 Win?? Or a 7mm-08 perhaps?? Lighter, faster, flatter shooting than the AK round but ammo is certainly not cheaper than AK rounds can be had for.

IDK, maybe the AK round can be a clover shooter from a scoped bolt rifle.

But aren't steel cases that comprise alot of the available AK rounds hard on rifle chambers?? I have heard that said a few times.