The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Jector

Blanks?

I just got some 38 special and 375 mag cartridges in two boxes (~90 rnds.). A mix of JHP, SWC, & WC. Shaking the cases and listening I could determine some were either compressed or empty, some very full, and some lightly loaded (grain wise). With no history at all, I pulled them all apart. Five different powders in the first box! I haven't started the second box yet but I can hear different loads when I shook a few rounds. At first I thought I'd mix all powders and load some Very, very light .38 special rounds (like 1.5 grains of mixed mess) and then shoot them in a .357 Mag. But figured it would be a waste since groups would be 12 inches, maybe. Then I thought about using it to make blanks just for fun. No pressure issues if I do say 3 gr. and a wad of tissue sealed with a few drops of wax.

Is this crazy or a possible use for unknown powder?

TIA
Old September 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
LHB1

Why take a chance with multiple, unknown powders?? Isn't your safety worth more than the cost of a new can of known powder? I suggest you mix the unknown powders and spread them on the lawn for fertilizer.
Old September 28, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Jector

LHB1, could you elaborate on what the dangers might be as I'm completely new to reloading? I assumed (there's that word) that the dangers of unknown powders would be too high of pressure damaging the gun and perhaps yourself, or too low pressure and lodging a bullet in the barrel followed by another... again damaging the gun and/or yourself. But with blanks, where's the danger?

Sorry for my ignorance.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Farmland

First of all Never Never mix powders or use / reload unknown powders. The danger is that you can die or if your lucky just ruin the gun.

Secondly I don't know much about blank reloading but here is a link that should give you some information. I wouldn't just use a mix of powders or make reloads until you understand how to do it safely.

http://bobshellsblog.blogspot.com/20...lank-ammo.html
Old September 28, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Jector

Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6
LHB1

Jector,
Sorry I couldn't get back to your question sooner but we had a medical emergency in our family tonight. Farmland was right, NEVER mix powders. Mixing unknown powders just makes it worse. Blanks still put out some amount of pressure and with unknown powders, you don't know what result you will get. Using fast powders like Bullseye or Win 231 can very quickly raise pressures with very little powder. Conversely, using slow powders may require a surprising volume before generating desired pressure. Powder is only about $22 a pound.
90 rounds x 5 grains (est) = 450 grains of powder
450 gr / 7000 gr = .064 of a 1 lb can of powder
.064 x $22 = $1.41 estimated cost of salvaged powder

Would you really risk damage to yourself or your gun by trying to save $1.41 worth of unknown/mixed powder? I wouldn't!
Old September 29, 2009, 12:58 AM   #7
snuffy

To answer your main question, blank ammo is highly specialized ammo. The powder used is a special extremely fast powder. If you used blank powder to load a bulleted round, you would most definitely destroy your weapon with assured damage to your body and anyone around you.

Whatever mixture of that salvaged powder you might come up with will not make any noise if loaded as you suggested. Most you would get is a POOF!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 29, 2009, 03:28 PM   #8
brickeyee

Use the powder to fertilize the lawn, and then buy something so you KNOW what is in the sealed can.
Old September 30, 2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Mk VII

With [home-made] smokeless blanks in revolvers, the primers tend to back out and jam the action. This can be reduced by drilling the flash holes out to a larger size, but as you appear to want to use these cases again it would be inappropriate.
When it comes to making blanks, one should NOT use wax, which can and does emerge in a solid lump, and I have seen two serious injuries caused by this.