The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2018, 11:34 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Just my 2 cents.

Post and drives.
Easy to kill knowing where one's quarry is likely to follow game trails in {Follow the leader behaviour.}
Standing while shooting puts the fellow 10 ft above ground on a hill side with a Aimpoint having a red dot {battery lite} A muzzle brake ~shooting 7X64. That high above ground garners a very good field of view. Especially in near open ground having little to no under growth.

Rifle seen is a dandy Merkel quite simular to a Sig Sauer 202. Both are the smoothest cycling bolt rifles ever exported from Germany. Some believe Sako's are just as smooth in their cycling. "My experience. Nope!! Sako is not as smooth." Although I'm pretty sure there was some picture cropping after the filming.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:07 PM   #27
blackwidowp61

"Easy to kill knowing where one's quarry is likely to follow game trails in {Follow the leader behaviour.}"
I don't know of a whole lot of game animals that don't follow fairly predictable behavior, including following game trails, and I don't know of a lot of hunters who don't try to take every advantage of that behavior in order to get a chance to shoot that animal.

"Standing while shooting puts the fellow 10 ft above ground on a hill side with a Aimpoint having a red dot {battery lite}....That high above ground garners a very good field of view. Especially in near open ground having little to no under growth."
Once again, I don't know of any hunter not taking every advantage he/she can possibly get in order to raise his/her chances of shooting an animal. For example, if I have permission from the land owner to do so, I will even clear shooting lanes through the woods in order to have a clear shot at a deer. Is doing this a guarantee that I will kill a deer or even get a shot? Of course not. Does it matter if I'm shooting from above the animal (tree stand, top of a hill), on the same level as the animal or from below the level of the animal? Again, not really. It takes good judgment, knowledge of the game, a lot of practice and skill to shoot any animal, particularly if that animal is running.

"Although I'm pretty sure there was some picture cropping after the filming."
I'm not quite sure what you are implying by making this statement. Are you saying that Franz Albrecht or someone else is somehow doctoring the video in some way? To what purpose?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old January 5, 2018, 12:02 PM   #28
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee
Easy to kill
The shooter's position might make the shots possible, but there was nothing "easy" about them. Multiple small rapidly-moving targets and 1-shot hits to the CNS, resulting in instant kills. The only 2nd shot needed was on a target running through dense trees, also an instant kill. It'd be a rare individual who could pull off any one of those kills, methinks.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:57 PM   #29
blackwidowp61

Amen MrBorland! I have a feeling that Sure Shot doesn't hunt if he thinks that doing what Franz does is "so easy".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI