The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2001, 10:30 AM   #1
tooltime

What is the best lube to use in my new lyman 450? I am open to suggestions. Tell me your favorites.
Old May 10, 2001, 10:43 AM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

tooltime, I am still using a beeswax/alox lube, the old NRA formula I think its called. I know that there are better ones on the market today, but aside from lubed bullets sticking to each other I have never had a problem with leading or any other problem. If you have the heater that fits under the 450 then you can go to some of the new hard lubes. I dont know if they shoot any better but I do know that they are not as messy.
Old May 10, 2001, 12:03 PM   #3
Quantrill

Lubricants

Tooltime,
When I first started to use cast bullets I used lithium grease as sold as car lube. I just tumbled the unsized bullets in it and it seemed to work out fine. That was recomended in the old NRA Cast Bullet Handbook. When I moved up to sizing the bullets in a Lyman 45 sizer-lubricator, I bought the alox/beeswax combo, again recomended by the NRA book. I have used it ever since and with one notable exception, it has served me well in both rifle and handgun. As Southla1 says, there is probably better out there, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Quantrill
Old May 10, 2001, 12:51 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Lyman's Orange Magic currently but you do need the heater.

Many years using the old standards, finally switched to the harder lubes. Much cleaner all 'round & zip for loads differences.
Old May 10, 2001, 09:56 PM   #5
Big Bunny

No sizing and hardlube for me.

Cleaner, less stickey, harder bullets...and less smoke and smell of lube!
Old May 12, 2001, 09:17 AM   #6
handgunhunting

this my sound dumb, but how hot does the lizer get when using a heater? For lube right now i am using the lyman super molly that came with the sizer it works well but it does stick to other bullets and is a bit messy. That is why i am thnking of going to a hard lube.
Old May 12, 2001, 11:49 AM   #7
John Lawson

THE EPA

As the EPA spreads its tentacles into your life, more ranges today will not allow you to fire lead bullets unless they are totally copper plated, such as Rainier's line.
While many fine lubes have been formulated, where I live, you can forget it if you want to shoot. The rangemaster inspects your loads, pulls a bullet with an inertia puller and either OK's you to shoot or denies you use of the range.
My editor recently told me that he no longer accepts articles on use of lead bullets because almost nobody uses them anymore.
If you can get away with firing lead, good on ya'. But, get ready for a snoop to intrude into your life. Big Bro is trying to eliminate us. So don't brag that they haven't gotten to your range...they'll get around to it. The ATF has thoughtfully provided them with a list of every range in the U.S.
Old May 12, 2001, 11:51 AM   #8
Contender

HH,

Usually quite warm to the touch. It depends on the lube hardness. Sometimes you can get away with a strong light bulb directed at the lube reservoir.

Regards
Old May 12, 2001, 11:58 AM   #9
Contender

John,

Who is your editor? He seems to be a bit misinformed as to "almost nobody using lead bullets anymore". With the current skyrocketting prices of jacketed bullets, it's becoming mandatory if you want to be able to do any shooting in moderate quantity and not take out a loan. What's the publication's circulation?
Old May 12, 2001, 01:06 PM   #10
Paul B.

John. I second Contender's questions. I shoot lead almost exclusively. You can tell your editor he's full of reconstituted bull fodder if he think's lead is passe'. BTW. Which rag do you write for?. It's one I surely won't subscribe to. It's editor apparently likes his head in warm dark places.
Paul B.
Old May 12, 2001, 01:11 PM   #11
handgunhunting

Contender,
2 questions
1) will it get hot enough to burn my or my son's hands?
2) what barrels do you have? I have 9 barrels and 2 frames
Old May 12, 2001, 01:12 PM   #12
handgunhunting

John.
I 3rd Contender's questions Pleas tell us what pub. he works.
Old May 12, 2001, 01:27 PM   #13
Contender

HH,

It's a possibility to burn your hand in certain places on the Lubrisizer with a heater but only because they are capable of heating them that much. In practice, it is not necessary to go that far though at least with the lube I use. True, some of the hard lubes out there are like rocks and require a good amount of heat but I've never run into that trouble with The LBT Blue I use. If you are still concerned, especially for your son, get a pair of thin leather driving or batting gloves to wear when you are around the Lubrisizer. Might even be wise to exclude him from the sizing and lubing operation until you feel he is ready to handle it. A pair that fits well shouldn't limit your dexterity while handling bullets for sizing.

I e-mailed you a response to your second question.

FWIW

Old May 12, 2001, 01:32 PM   #14
handgunhunting

dont mean to keep asking you a lot of questions, but
how long do you keep the heater on (the hole time or just when it starts to cool off)
how do you know it is ready to lube bullets?
Old May 12, 2001, 01:45 PM   #15
Contender

HH,

I have the Midway heaters on two of my Star sizers and they have T/Stats on them. It's basically trial and error until you notice good flow to the bullet grooves without turning the lube into water. Once I arrived at the best temp for my lube, I left the stat where it is and it modulates the temp. Most lubes I've used in the past require a good warming without going overboard. The LBT blue needs a good warming to the touch to flow but nothing crazy. You'll know when you have it, just work up easy.

Regards
Old May 12, 2001, 06:04 PM   #16
Yodar

LUBE TO USE IN LYMAN 450

Re: The heater. I used a couple clips and srewed a TelTru Stainless steel Photographic thermometer on my heater and find that 105-115 degrees is all that's needed for the hard lubes.

I use GAR 50:50 beeswax alox --a dozen stick cost me about $15.00 shipping included and they last a LONG time.

It treats me well but in the range environment I am accused of shooting black powder...it's too smoky for my taste but I'll be "bleeped" if I pay $3.75 a stick for the hard lubes.

I'm gonna try Red Rooster next.

Yodar
Old May 13, 2001, 11:14 PM   #17
dick w. holliday

i've used about all the lubes-red-blue-green-orange-yellow and some you have to heat and some you don't but my favorite, cheapest and quickest is Lee tumble lube. i've got a Lee 125 gr 9mm that i shoot in 38 spec/9mm/38 super--i don;t even size them--just shake them around in a tupperware mixing bowl with the lube let them dry and shoot'em...Dick PS when people ask me what sort of lube that is on my bullets i just tell them that it's ear wax-just stick them in your ear and twist.
Old May 14, 2001, 11:21 PM   #18
Contender

Dick,

You're in rare form today

That tumble lube is actually inside panel rustproofing for automobiles. It has a wax base that "dries" after it is exposed to the air for a while as you know. Also has a type of petroleum carrier and/or ingredients.

I remember the old Duro DIY rustproofing kits also and that is exactly what it was in the cans for the inside cavities. Even the same smell and coloration.

Regards
Old May 15, 2001, 11:31 AM   #19
dick w. holliday

I've got a buddy who runs a body shop for a big ford dealer here in town (Goes by the nickname of Bondo) When i use up the case of Lee i just got i'll be giving him a call...but to be honest i've about got too lazy to cast bullets...also our club orders 20-30K bullets from a guy in alabama and we pick them up at a gun show and save the freight....we can buy the 125 gr bullet i shoot in everything for less than $20.00 per 1000.....if anybody wants a copy of his price sheet let me know and i'll email it..His don't look like they came out of someones ear either...Dick
Old May 16, 2001, 09:10 AM   #20
capbuster

You might contact Gil Hebard and see if he still markets Tamarack lubricant. It is a alox/beeswax mixture and it will work well through your sizer.Good luck.-Cliff