The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 22, 2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Buffalo Wing

Ithaca/SKB Double Barrels

Hey all,

I have an opportunity to buy either a 12 or 20 Gauge Ithaca/SKB Model 200E side-by-side double barrel from a family member. I don't own any side-by-sides and would love to try to get ahold of one of these guns if I can do it for a manageable price. The thing is, I know next to nothing about how well SKB doubles are made (these are, to my understanding, licensed Ithacas built by SKB). I would like to make him a fair offer for one of them, so long as it's something I can afford right now, but I have no idea what they would be worth.

If it helps, they are in very good condition - they have been hunted with a few times and cared for very well. Thanks for you help guys!
Old April 23, 2014, 04:57 AM   #2
Virginian

The SKBs and SKB made Ithacas are well made guns. Quite popular among the SxS set. Usually handle well. Check prices on completed auctions on GunBroker. If a gun has the features two guys both want, the price can get up there.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old April 23, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
PetahW

I would buy the 20ga in a heartbeat.

The 20ga is worth almost 50% more than the value of a 12ga, in equal condition.

Pristine 12ga's generally change hands in the $800-$1K range, 20's in the same condition bring $1500.

Old April 23, 2014, 06:27 PM   #4
COK

Well made SxS 's I am very fond of the 20ga for upland shooting.
Old April 23, 2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Buffalo Wing

Thanks for the replies guys! As I was worried, I think they are both a little outside of my price range right now. A pity, because I would have loved to have picked up either one of them. They are both beautiful guns.
Old April 24, 2014, 09:18 AM   #6
myfriendis410

I have one in 20 ga. choked mod and full. It shoots a little flat and I've had to replace one flat spring in the action ($.50). Other than that it's a great gun and my go to for quail and doves. I paid $1,200 new in the box for mine about 8 years ago. It was blue booked at 1
$1,400 then. And as stated above, the 20 ga. adds a premium to the gun.

Replacement parts are the same as for the Weatherby 280. (I think it's a 280)
Old April 25, 2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Buffalo Wing

Talked to the seller again (a cousin of my father) and we were able to work out a deal. Looks like I'll be taking both of them home! Very excited as I haven't owned a side-by-side but have always wanted one - looks like I'll have 2!
Old April 26, 2014, 09:58 AM   #8
Crunchy Frog

The 20 gauge would be a great field gun.

The 12 gauge is useless. I'll pay the shipping to get it out of your way!

Actually the 12 gauge SKBs are much prized by cowboy action shooters. The 200E has ejectors that have to be disabled to make it SASS legal but that's a fairly simple fix.

If you want to sell the 12 gauge to recoup part of the purchase price you can check with your local cowboy action shooters. Send me a PM if you like.