The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Adamantium

Hornady SST and A-max

My 6.5x55mm (stock Howa 1500) gets below average results with 140gr SST bullets, about 3 moa with two powder and primer combinations. Just for comparisons sake I shoot 1 moa with 140gr Interlocks with both powders. That's probably my accuracy ceiling as a shooter right now anyway.

Has anyone tried both SSTs and A-max bullets in the same caliber and weight and gotten significantly different results? I know my rifle is a 6.5mm but that is pretty limiting so if you have actual experience with both bullets but in a different caliber I'd like to hear it too.

Thanks
Old August 12, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

I have shot both same cal and yes you will always get different results as they are not the same I do perfer 165 SST for my 308 A-MAXs nor Interbond will always be different.
Old August 13, 2012, 03:11 AM   #3
dunerjeff

Compared the 2 bullets side by side. Notice how much in bearing surface difference there is and where the balance point is.Those things among others will always make the bullets react different when shot. I myself like the 150gr Interlocks.
Old August 15, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Pat T

In my .340 Wby I'm using the SST 200 grain and worked up a load that would get me 1 1/4" groups at 3150 fps. The rifle really liked the 200 grain Nosler ballistic tips, I could get that group down to 3/4" no problem. I've tried the accubonds and never did get the rifle to group well with those no matter what powder or charge I tried. Not saying they are junk, they just didn't like my rifle.

My rifle will shoot the Weatherby/Norma loaded ammo with the Hornady spire point 200 grains into about an inch, so I have a decent baseline to compare the SST to.

I'd like to try some Sciroccos some time but haven't been willing to pony up the dough for them.