The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 30, 2002, 10:25 PM   #1
HKguy9

Bump...do you investigate?

Everyone agrees that houseclearing is a crappy proposition.

You hear a bump and most likely it's nothing...but do you investigate anyway?

Please print legibly.
Old March 30, 2002, 10:30 PM   #2
KSFreeman

Kalifornians are always hearing bumps. Is it three bumps?

"Dude, I was dreaming of some tasty waves and Mr. Hand's history class, when, dude, I heard O.J."

What do you hear afterwards?
Old March 30, 2002, 10:36 PM   #3
HKguy9

If it doesn't fit....
Old March 31, 2002, 04:48 AM   #4
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Skunkabilly,

Please see my reply in the bump-in-the-night scenario. Standard protocol (per NRA) is to proceed to your saferoom if possible, wait 15 minutes or longer for further noise, then investigate.

Different ideas welcome, long as they make sense...

HTH,
- pdmoderator
Old March 31, 2002, 06:00 AM   #5
The Terminator

I check it out. I would never hide and wait. Anybody caught inside is toast. Anybody caught outside would certainy hear that sound that we all recognize, the pumping of the scattergun, it really carries on a quiet, clear night. I personally have heard it from the receiving end, and it put wings on my feet. I jumped a six foot ditch and never missed a stride. Best -
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old March 31, 2002, 12:56 PM   #6
Nevada Fitch

I live in a rural area and calling the law every time I heard a bump is not an option.

The answer is, if the bump in the night or day concerns me I check it out with gun in hand if my guts tells me to. Possibly if I lived in a high crime area I would modify my behavior somewhat. I don't have a safe room but I do have plenty of loaded guns and the skill to use them if it came to that.
Old March 31, 2002, 01:38 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Yep, I check. Cautiously.

Sam
Old March 31, 2002, 01:42 PM   #8
Erich

Creaks, no (wood floors do that). Bumps, yes. There's only me and my wife in our house, which makes houseclearing a simpler proposition.
Old March 31, 2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Hemicuda

you bet your butt I check them out... slowly, carefully, and cautiously... with a loaded scattergun when possible...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old March 31, 2002, 09:06 PM   #10
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Has anyone responding so far had SWAT training?

- pdmoderator
Old March 31, 2002, 09:48 PM   #11
G35

<<Has anyone responding so far had SWAT training? >>

Oh Great... Now I need SWAT Training before investigating late-night noises... damn rules here and damn regulations there.. WHERE'S MY AR15, I think I hear something outside... post more later.. Me and "Mr. AR15" gotta go checkout something...
Old March 31, 2002, 11:09 PM   #12
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Nope, you can do anything you want, and take the consequenses.

I'd just like to hear if anyone who's expressing an opinion here has been professionally trained in what they're expressing an opinion on.

- pdmoderator
Old April 1, 2002, 12:42 PM   #13
Rickmeister

There's a story out there about some guy coming home at an unusual hour of the day and unexpectedly hearing a bump in his daughter's closet. "Fire first, ask questions later" was his motto; and only then did he learn that his daughter had played hooky that day and was not at school as he had believed.

You get my drift.
Old April 1, 2002, 01:20 PM   #14
Christopher II

I don't care if you're the ne plus ultra of SWAT-trained SEAL Ranger Force Recon SAS badass, a one-man house clearing will get you dead.

Saferoom is a good idea. Having a multiplexed alarm system is even better. Dogs are better yet. Best is to mix and match, as your situation warrants.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old April 1, 2002, 01:58 PM   #15
HKguy9

OK I guess what I'm asking here is now HOW you're going to clear your house, but:

We know that houseclearing sucks.
But there's a bump that's probably not a person but enough to make you want to check it out. Again, chances are it's the freezer dropping ice into the icebox, some cans that you didn't stack up right in the cabinet, dishes in the sink that fell because they're piled up too high, etc. etc. etc.

How would you investigate?
Old April 1, 2002, 02:09 PM   #16
foghornl

Very carefully, with 5 D-Cell Maglite in one hand, and Ruger .45ACP in the other.
Old April 1, 2002, 02:55 PM   #17
fix

If the dogs don't bark...why worry?

If the dogs bark, yell "SHUT UP!!!" and see if they stop. If they don't stop, investigate.

If the dogs bark and growl and I hear human screams...sleep tight and clean up in the morning.

If the dogs squeal and yelp, and/or I hear gunshots, it's time to start dialing and chambering.
Old April 1, 2002, 05:29 PM   #18
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Quote:
But there's a bump that's probably not a person but enough to make you want to check it out. Again, chances are it's the freezer dropping ice into the icebox, some cans that you didn't stack up right in the cabinet, dishes in the sink that fell because they're piled up too high, etc. etc. etc.

How would you investigate?
Depends on how worried I was that there had been a break-in. If I was worried, I'd check the exterior of the house first to confirm or deny the break-in. If I did see signs of a break-in, the folks in blue get a phone call. If I didn't, I'd just go check it, with a flashlight -- and cellphone and armed if I was concerned that someone could have gotten in without me knowing.

Gotten rid of more dirty dishes that way...

- pdmoderator
Old April 1, 2002, 05:59 PM   #19
striderteen

If I hear a bump, I turn around. Dorm rooms have little room for anything.
Old April 1, 2002, 06:20 PM   #20
KSFreeman

Chris II, your concerns are unfounded. First, I've done a lot of `puter gaming therefore I really know what I'm doing. Second, I'm a graduate, summa cum latte, of Gunshop Commando skul. We learned that a mad minute is the correct response. Inside your house, a free fire zone, you can just spray lead through the walls. I keep an M14 with AP for such occassions in my subdivision.

However, YMMV. For example, as MPFreeman dislikes such a weenie load and keeps 2 BARs in .338WM with Hornady big game bullets for him and his wife. His children 3 and 1 are highly trained as they spend hours at night shooting and learning to duck.
Old April 2, 2002, 12:09 PM   #21
Dave R

Like fix, I let the dog do the recon.

If the dog is sleeping, I ignore.

If the dog gives her "alarm bark", which is different from her "answering another dog" bark, then I investigate, quietly, flashlight (off) and Hi-Power in hand. There is plenty of ambient light throughout our house and I have good night vision. My wife has the cell phone and backup.
Old April 2, 2002, 06:58 PM   #22
Bogie

Okay, picture this...

Doin' the horizontal bop with the girlfriend, about two ayem... havin' a grand ol' time, and approaching an even grander ol' time... Hear a monster crash from my "gun room." She says it was the fastest she'd EVER see someone disengage from combat, hit the floor, grab a rifle, insert a magazine, chamber a round, and belly crawl through a door...

A rubbermaid container had had another stacked on top, but was defective, and slowly bent until the one on top fell over.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old April 3, 2002, 03:54 AM   #23
Seeker

I agree with Fix and Dave R. Listen to the dogs. They got the nose tha knows.

O' course sometimes the dogs get all excited about the very dangerous and threatning kitty-cat or polecat crossing the yard and need to be told that there's no real threat and that they are good dogs for letting you know of the 'danger'.

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old April 3, 2002, 10:22 AM   #24
Erich

Bogie,

That must have been a painful belly crawl!
Old April 3, 2002, 10:56 AM   #25
CMichael

Yes I investigate with my 12 gauge.

Michael