The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Crashbox

Now that my chronograph is in possession...

...one of my main concerns is properly sighting through the three triangles so as to minimize the possibility of taking one or more sensors out via the projectile. I have yet to set it up and use it, and I might be overthinking this, but it seems that one of those nifty laser bore sighters could help considerably with initial alignment. I was born very myopic and my vision isn't any better now that I'm older... and I would really like to avoid perforating my new toy.

Do any of you out there have any tricks, tips, etc. on sensor alignment/setup? If so, I'd like to hear about them. Thank you very much in advance.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Aim high.

You don't have to be an inch above the sensors. Put it 15 feet away, aim about 3/4 up to the screens.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:36 PM   #3
wogpotter

The supports & sky diffusers are optional on mine. However I use them all the time as the arms & top seen sideways give me a better frame of reference for shooting high enough to have a safety margin.

Avoid high mounted sights & scopes for testing as they'lll automatically put your LOS higher than your LOF, increasing the possibility of damage. If you must use a scope use the lowest power setting & you might see the screens through the scope.

Put a paper target a few inches behind the furthest screen with a 2~3" red target dot where you'd like the bullet to go & aim at the red dot.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 7, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

You can test precisely where the bullet will fly in relation to the sensors and your point of aim this way: (I describe a much more elaborate set of steps than necessary so you can visualize what is going on. Take shortcuts as you wish.)

Make a second chronograph out of cardboard and duct tape.

Set it up (with screens and everything) where your real chronograph will be placed.

To each screen, tape a sheet of clear plastic so you can see the bulletholes of the bullet's flight path.

Weight the cardboard chronograph down so muzzle blast or the tearing of the bullet through the clear plastic will not move it.

Fire a round over the cardboard chronograph as if it were the real one.

Evaluate the results and change your point of aim as necessary.

When satisfied, shoot over your real chronograph

Same thing golfers do with practice swings.

My Chronograph wears channel iron, angled to deflect bullets. It (the iron) can take a low-angle hit from a full-power 500 Smith & Wesson without damage.

Good luck, Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep
Old April 7, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Crashbox

Thank you all so much for sharing these tips and tricks. They should certainly help me minimize the possibility of hitting the sensors.

Maybe I'm just being too paranoid about it, but the Oehler 35P is a significant investment and I want to start off right.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
david_r

If you're shooting a bolt action, it wouldn't hurt to get it on your bags, pull the bolt and look through the bore before you pull the trigger.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:55 PM   #7
hunter52

I use a laser bore sighter. Stuff it in the barrel , set the gun in the bags, walk out 4 paces, set the chrony up on the tripod , wave my hand around til I see a little red dot on it, set the screens so the dot is in the middle range, tighten everything down and done.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:13 PM   #8
jepp2

Quote:
I use a laser bore sighter. Stuff it in the barrel , set the gun in the bags, walk out 4 paces, set the chrony up on the tripod , wave my hand around til I see a little red dot on it, set the screens so the dot is in the middle range, tighten everything down and done.
What he said! The only thing I would add is to set your rifle up with the crosshairs on your target. Then do what hunter52 said.

For under $30 it will be the best insurance and easiest way to give you peace of mind you can get. Bushnell Laser Boresighter

It will be the easiest way to determine the true path of the bullet and keep it away from your new investment.