The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 18, 2020, 11:26 AM   #1
MisterCrabby

Where’s the ammo?

Is the 9mm in the same warehouse they used for the toilet paper during March and April ?

I’ve been looking online and where you can get it it’s 40 cents or more per round. Almost every website shows back order with 2-6 months for restock.

What the heck is going on?

Anybody know of any decent deals of in stock ammo?

Thanks!
Old July 18, 2020, 11:36 AM   #2
Dan-O

Maybe you haven’t heard, but there’s this thing called covid-19.

That along with the thought of uncle joe winning in November has folks buying up everything gun related.
Old July 18, 2020, 12:29 PM   #3
seanc

The WuFlu was the 1st shoe to drop. Inventories were starting to fill up again in May (with higher prices). Then the blue city riots seemed to give everyone the impression they're on their own and 9mm ammo dried up with only premium HP rounds left.

Implications: there's a lot of folks out there that bought up the cheap FMJ ammo and not a commensurate purchase of HP ammo. Curious if all the new panic gun buyers know why HP rounds are a good idea for SD and FMJ is primarily just practice ammo. Heaven forbid someone pay over $0.36/round for boolits.
Old July 18, 2020, 02:23 PM   #4
CDW4ME

Sorry OP the deals were a few months ago.
Ammo prices may not improve anytime soon, I paid .36 a round recently for 40 S&W FMJ because I didn't stock up sufficiently when it was cheaper.
Wonder if one may look back and wish they bought that .40 a round 9mm?

Old July 18, 2020, 02:58 PM   #5
stinkeypete

Same place as all the toilet paper. People that don't care enough to learn how to reload panic every time things look rough. The supply chain on ammunition is not set up for spikes in demand.
Old July 18, 2020, 05:15 PM   #6
ghbucky

Quote:
Implications: there's a lot of folks out there that bought up the cheap FMJ ammo and not a commensurate purchase of HP ammo. Curious if all the new panic gun buyers know why HP rounds are a good idea for SD and FMJ is primarily just practice ammo. Heaven forbid someone pay over $0.36/round for boolits.
I'm not sure about that. A lot of people bought guns for the first time, and they probably wanted practice ammo. I had to go online to find defensive ammo and paid a premium for it. There is none of the common calibers on store shelves that I've seen.

If you need 45-70 ammo, you are good to go, though.
Old July 18, 2020, 05:47 PM   #7
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrabby View Post
BLM and ANTIFA, defunding / abolishing police, do-nothing blue state mayors and governors., violence in the blue cities. There has been a 500% increase in gun sales over the past three months. They all need ammo. And long-time shooters like myself have also been stocking up for the same reasons. Personally I am now well-stocked enough for a war. And short of a miracle in this country, one is coming. If senile Uncle Joe wins in November it will all get worse, the violent ones will be turned loose to wreak havoc at will. If senile Uncle Joe loses in November it will all get worse, the violent ones will just double down, cause as much trouble as they possibly can.

Last edited by jimku; July 18, 2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old July 18, 2020, 09:34 PM   #8
MisterCrabby

Jimmu, thanks for that perspective.

Where are all the ammo manufacturers? The reman places like peak, remix etc?

My question is more about supply than demand.
Old July 18, 2020, 09:44 PM   #9
jonnyc

Ammo factories are running at full tilt, but distributor's shelves are bare and it will take a bit to catch up. No ammo maker is going to add manufacturing capacity for a momentary glitch, so we'll all have to wait a little.
And FWIW, all the now gun owners are buying HP, if they can, and they will probably never even load their guns. Regular customers/shooters are starting to filter back, and they are the ones buying all the practice ammo they can get.
Old July 18, 2020, 10:46 PM   #10
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
...No ammo maker is going to add manufacturing capacity for a momentary glitch, so we'll all have to wait a little.
"Dead nuts" on Jonnyc!

How many times have we been through this cycle since Clinton and the AW ban? A lot.

The trick i've found is to buy when the price is down, build up your own inventory to last a year or two (or more ) , and smile (and laugh internally) at people who paid 50 cents per round for .22 LR.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 19, 2020, 09:43 AM   #11
Onward Allusion

Ammo is scarce because folks who had been on the fence are gobbling up guns & ammo as a result of the distress caused by the pandemic, economy, & civil unrest. Those who already had guns started to panic and did the same with ammo. Heck, I can't even find any primers online!
Old July 19, 2020, 10:00 AM   #12
Prof Young

In the midst of scarcity . . . I'm flush.

After the Obama-bare-ammo-shelves incident I've taken advantage of every chance I get to buy 22LR at less than five cents a round. Just buying one brick or a few boxes every now and then. Have about 15K now and have slowed down on the buying. When life slowed down due to wuflu I spent more time than usual in the reloading room and now the ammo closet is seriously full and I don't have much empty brass save for 9mm. And I learned how to reload my own 410 hand guns loads as well. Don't have a lot of 12ga ammo on hand but the shortages never seem to affect that much.

Nonetheless . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 20, 2020, 03:26 PM   #13
GarandTd

The LGS that I've been frequenting lately told me that they have orders in, but the suppliers are getting backed up. She did say she was also keeping some of common n calibers off the shelves in order to provide some with new gun purchases.
Old July 20, 2020, 04:08 PM   #14
agtman

Quote:
Is the 9mm in the same warehouse they used for the toilet paper during March and April? I’ve been looking online and where you can get it it’s 40 cents or more per round. Almost every website shows back order with 2-6 months for restock.

It's called: 'Ya snoozes, ya loses.'

The strategy of 'buy it cheap; stack it deep' always prevents the last minute scramble to Wally Mart, your LGS, a Fun Show, ... or, worse, to the on-line vendors who will show 'In Stock' when they're really 'Out of Stock' or will charge 40-50 cents a round for what ammo they do have.

I stocked up about 18-months ago, during the peak of the 'Trump Slump,' when prices on guns, ammo, optics, and gun-related accessories had hit record low pricing.

Last edited by agtman; July 20, 2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old July 20, 2020, 06:04 PM   #15
7.62 man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku View Post
BLM and ANTIFA, defunding / abolishing police, do-nothing blue state mayors and governors., violence in the blue cities. There has been a 500% increase in gun sales over the past three months. They all need ammo. And long-time shooters like myself have also been stocking up for the same reasons. Personally I am now well-stocked enough for a war. And short of a miracle in this country, one is coming. If senile Uncle Joe wins in November it will all get worse, the violent ones will be turned loose to wreak havoc at will. If senile Uncle Joe loses in November it will all get worse, the violent ones will just double down, cause as much trouble as they possibly can.
Are you trying to say it's going to get worse? LOL
Yep I agree with you, it don't look good for the US.
I just hope we don't tear it apart more than it can be put back together when cool heads resolve the problems.
Old July 20, 2020, 06:29 PM   #16
TXAZ

Ammoseek.com is your friend.
AMMOSEEK ammo search engine

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 20, 2020, 06:34 PM   #17
7.62 man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
Ammoseek.com is your friend.
AMMOSEEK ammo search engine
Guns-Deals.com is another good one.

https://gun-deals.com/ammo
Old July 21, 2020, 07:44 AM   #18
sigarms228

The decent deals on 9MM practice ammo ended mid March. No one knows how long this will go on. The last big panic early 2013 took almost 3 years before it was reasonably priced and available again.

About best one can do is enroll for email/text alerts at popular online ammo supplies like Target Sports USA, SGAmmo, Natchez and be ready to act fast if you see something available you like as it will be gone in minutes.
Old July 21, 2020, 11:13 AM   #19
Onward Allusion

The ammo mfrs were also partially shut down during the height of the pandemic. I'm not sure if they are at 100%. Maybe someone here knows?
Old July 21, 2020, 11:20 AM   #20
DaleA

Quote:
I just hope we don't tear it apart more than it can be put back together when cool heads resolve the problems.
Good luck to all of us with THAT!

Seriously, I can find "crazy" in LOTS of places and it is a very minor irritation but "crazy" is now actually running things and I don't see much push back.

Minneapolis City Council didn't just vote to defund the police they voted unanimously to defund the police. The City Council president says calling 911 is "white privilege" never mind that a large percentage of 911 calls come from non-white folk.

Like I said "crazy" has always been out there and always will be out there but "crazy" has now been elected! The inmates are running the asylum. Good luck to us all, we will need it.

P.S. In the last month or so we (Twin Cities Minnesota) have had a large increase in the number of shootings. Council members have called it an "uptick" in gun violence. The one point even slightly hopeful is that the "uptick" in gun violence is so blatantly egregious that even the gun control folk realize so many laws are already being broken (under aged with guns, felons with guns, people without carry permits carrying guns) that they have been relatively quiet about pushing for new gun laws since it is pretty obvious just passing more laws isn't going to do any good because so many laws are already (I just can't emphasis this enough) being broken.
Old July 21, 2020, 12:27 PM   #21
hank327

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku View Post
I’ve come to the same conclusion and agree with you. Things will get worse, probably much worse before they get better. They are coming...
Old July 21, 2020, 01:10 PM   #22
GarandTd

I feel for you guys and gals living in some of these places. Glad I don't. Things are screwed up around me due to Covid, but civil unrest is not part of the problems yet.
Old July 21, 2020, 02:25 PM   #23
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank327 View Post
I’ve come to the same conclusion and agree with you. Things will get worse, probably much worse before they get better. They are coming...
I am glad to see someone agreeing with me!
It means I am not just an isolated paranoid nut-case!
I live in a DEEPLY red state and one of the most gun-friendly states in the country. The two most prominent outfits causing the civil unrest in places like Portland and Seattle know better than to try it here because they would be met by hundreds of fully-armed angry citizens. And there has been NONE of it here ... until just last week. Last week there was a rally to de-fund the police. There were a couple hundred "protestors" and a couple hundred American citizens armed to the teeth just waiting for any hint of violence / vandalism to back up the police that were also standing by. It ended peacefully, but it could have easily sparked.

Last edited by jimku; July 21, 2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old July 21, 2020, 02:41 PM   #24
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 man View Post
One side has no cool heads that I can see, and it doesn't want things to be put back together.

This thread is likely to get locked down very soon because it is "too political".
But sticking our heads in the sand and just ignoring it all won't change a thing.
Back on the "Where's the ammo" topic ... if you can find any, even to back-order, BUY IT.

Last edited by jimku; July 21, 2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old July 22, 2020, 12:33 AM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

I could delete about the last third of this thread, leave it open and hope it doesn't wander into off-topic-land again, or just close it.

I think that I'm not optimistic that it would stay on track even after cleanup so...