The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
gilfo

Maybe a dumb scope question but I need to ask

This is my dilemma . I am right handed but left eye dominant. Just started to get into rifles. I put a scope on my Ruger American 22 bolt action and have been shooting right handed using my right eye for the scope. I have been told that the best way to shoot a scoped rifle with my cross eyed dominance would be to shoot with the rifle left shoulder mounted. Problem is I just can't get comfortable shooting that way. Which brings me to my question. Do they make a magnified red dot scope that would afford me the opportunity to shoot with both eyes open but with the ability to see clearly say out to 200 yards like a standard scope?

Short version do they make a red dot that is magnified like a scope?

Thanks all.
Old November 21, 2015, 05:33 PM   #2
jmr40

The reason you should be shooting from the left side is so you CAN shoot with both eyes open. That is the way it is supposed to be done. If you're gonna close one eye keep shooting from the right side.

FWIW, my younger brother has the same problem. Right handed and left eye dominate. Once he figured out the problem he learned to shoot lefty. It was difficult at first, you're learning how to shoot again from scratch, but it paid off in the long run. Once he mastered shooting lefty he became a much better shot than he ever was trying to shoot right handed.

Forget about dot sights, even if they make such a device it won't solve your problem.