The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 16, 2014, 03:27 PM   #1
darticus

Shooting .22 pistol for fun and testing

Doing some target shooting in my business basement. Only 10-30 rounds weekly but fun for testing some pistols. Shooting at 10-35 meters as thats all it will allow in distance. If I set sights for this distance than at 25 yards it would be way off. Is there a better way to do this or should I just make up for distance by just shooting off the bull the distance needed to correct? Thanks Ron
Old April 16, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2
g.willikers

Eh, not following, exactly.
Are you saying that you want the gun right on at 25 yards, but your setup in the basement is either 10 yards or 35 yards, but nothing in betwixt?
Old April 17, 2014, 01:41 PM   #3
PointOneSeven

I've done it both ways. I tend to favor sighting in for a certain yardage and just 'eyeball adjust' for shorter or longer distances. If I know a bullet is going to hit 4 inches low, there's a easy fix for that and it doesn't involve adjusting the sights .

I've had a couple of rifles and revolvers with easily adjusted sights though. If it only takes a quick turn or slide to zero me up, I will do it.
Old April 18, 2014, 06:11 AM   #4
Hal

I doubt you're going to see more than 3/4" difference in the POI at the very outside extreme.
That what all the bullet drop charts I looked up seem to indicate.
Old April 18, 2014, 06:50 AM   #5
darkgael

which?

10 or 35 meters...
Quote:
If I set sights for this distance than at 25 yards it would be way off.
Not clear. What distance is "this distance"? In any case, a 22 will shoot quite flat between 50 feet and 50 yards. Little adjustment is needed.
Pete
Old April 18, 2014, 09:24 AM   #6
TailGator

Some optics such as tube-style red dots can be off the bore axis by a considerable amount. If the center of the tube is 2 inches above the bore axis and you zero it at 25 feet, you will be hitting 2 inches high at 50 feet. The bullet rises to the point where the line of the bore axis intersects the line of the scope axis at 25, but the bullet keeps rising along the line of the bore axis as it goes further.

(Sorry if this explanation is oversimplified for some; folks new to shooting have to think about this concept for a second.)
Old April 18, 2014, 11:07 AM   #7
g.willikers

No reply from darticus.
He must have figured it out on his own.