The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
lutzie84

S&W .32 cal 1903 5th change pistol

To whome it may concern:
I just bought a S&W .32cal 1903 5th change pistol and was woundering what year it was made and the value of it it has all the blueing gone from it still has the hard rubber black hand grip no pits or marks very clean the sieral no.# is 179xxxx and the last patent date is 1909?

Lutzie84
Old March 15, 2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I think there are too many xxx in your serial number. S&W never made over 1 million of these revolvers, but the question is, is it a 3, 4, 5, or 6 digit serial number?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Well, I assume the gun to be in 32 S&W long, not 32-20 aka 32 Winchester aka 32 WCF. If in 32 S&W long, I'd say its $200 or less. These 32 long I frame guns are not very sought after, and they are mighty common when in basic configuration. If the gun is 32-20, it is worth more, but not a ton more, perhaps $250 to $300 with the amount of finish loss that you mention.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #4
McShooty

Ser No. 179xxx would be in range for a 1903 5th change. Such were made in the 1910 - 1917 span, and 179xxx would fall in about the middle of production. The SCSW lists $275 for "good" condition, and this reference is a bit behind the times on values.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll also note that gun prices are HIGHLY regional.

What you would pay for a good condition Smith .32 in California or Northern Virginia is going to be vastly different from what you'll pay in the Dakotas or Alabama, although in this internet age that price disparity does seem to be shrinking.

Old March 17, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
lutzie84

S&W .32cal 1903 5th change revolver

To whom it may concern:
To start with Yes you were right I did have to many X'S its 179XXX, and I want to thank fellow members on letting me know the worth, of this pistol and the round about date of it.
another question Dose anyone know who would make a holster for this?
and I know it fires a .32 long cartage, can you fire modren .32 long cartrage in this with out worry and what is the best ammo for this!
Old March 17, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Modern .32 Long ammo is fine. It can be a bit hard to find as it's not a particularly popular cartridge.

Fiocchi seems to be the most available, but given the current climate it's very hard to say whether you'll find any or not.

A holster is going to be a VERY hard thing to come by unless you go custom or try your luck with one of the Uncle Mike's "generic" holsters.

Your gun is an I frame, which means that it's smaller in all dimensions than a modern J frame, and that can make it very difficult to get aftermarket anything for it.