The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
toolguy2006

More help with the new AR10

I have been reloading lately for my new AR10, and I want to branch out a bit form the classic "bible" load for the M1A. I want to switch from IMR4895 to a ball type powder that will meter better. My local gun store happens to have Alliant AR-Comp powder on the shelf, and since it has been recommended by folks on this forum, I thought I might give it a try. Also, it had "AR" in the name, so it must be good stuff, right?

First of all, I planned on starting with the load data on Alliant's website, and cross referencing that with any other sources I can find, but I would appreciate input from anyone who has actually used this stuff. I plan, at least for the time being, of sticking with my 168gr A-Max bullets. They have worked well in the past, and I figure a known quantity is a good thing! Eventually I will want to have a load for hunting ammo as well, but will probably stay in the 165 grain-ish neighborhood.

Also, I know that reloading for gas guns is much touchier than reloading for bolt guns. I have read a fair amount of material regarding loading for my M1 Garand as well as my M1A, most of which says "load this, and only this, and nothing else". Are there methods, or tricks for reloading for a gas gun and not risk damaging the internals? I would rather not destroy my fancy, expensive new toy!

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
hodaka

You don't have an op rod to worry about with the AR. Mine always was scary accurate with 4064. Naturally I weighed everything but it was sure worth it. Mine was a 24" DPMS fluted. I'm sure 748 would work fine but although I tried several different powders, including Varget, nothing topped IMR 4064. Enjoy yours. I sure regret selling mine.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Jimro

Fine choice of powder. You should be good to go with Alliants data, just reduce 10% then work back up.

Jimro
Old January 22, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
toolguy2006

hodaka:

The AR I have is a piston gun. Guess I shoulda mentioned that in the first place.

Not sure if it even matters much, but your comment about the op rod brought it to mind.