The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2012, 04:32 AM   #1
1911Alaska

Clearing a semi-auto shotgun?

Ok guys important question here. So I currently own a Weatherby SA-459 shotgun. I love it its a great gun but clearing it is weird and I was wondering if all semiautos are the same.

So its not like a loaded rifle, where every time you pull the action? open a round shoots out until its clear.

For my shotgun when its loaded with one in the chamber. You pull the action and the one in the chamber pops out, but you still have 4 in the tube (magazine?). To get these out to clear it. I have to PULL the trigger so the next shell pops into the chamber. Once this happens I have to pull the action to clear it then pull the trigger again to get the next one into the chamber then pull the action to get it out of the gun and continue this until there are no more shells in the gone.

Is the how all semi auto shotguns are? This seems extremely unsafe to me. I have always been super careful when taking the shells out and doubling checking it 100x it seems before I pull the trigger. Unfortuenntly last night a military trained friend of mine put a hole in my wall because he was not sure how to work it. Luckily no one got hurt and I learned my lesson to not let any one empty it but me but I was wondering if this is really the way it is supposed to be. Just seems unsafe to me
Old July 26, 2012, 05:43 AM   #2
impalacustom

No that isn't how none of my semi auto's work. Everytime I pull the bolt it ejects and feeds a new round, bolt stays open on empty so I know it's empty.

Sounds like Weatherby has a messed up system or something is acting as a cartridge stop and it shouldn't be. I don't know I have never shot a Weatherby semi auto. Is there anything in the manual about the function? There should be instructions on how to unload it.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:57 AM   #3
1911Alaska

I actually bought the gun used and the pawn shop I got it from did not have a manual for it or anything. Good to know though. Thanks! I have tried to do some research online but could not find anything. Maybe I will take it to a gunsmith and see if he can fix it some how.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:21 AM   #4
mete

Different countries can has different rules therefore different design. However to have to pull the trigger to clear the gun is dumb and a safety hazard !!!
maybe someone took it apart and reassembled it wrong -check the manual !
Old July 26, 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
dcobler

http://www.weatherby.com/support/ownersmanual

Maybe this will help.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Sport45

I don't know about the Weatherby, but my 1100 and 870 don't even require chambering rounds to clear them. Pull the bolt back and the live round ejects from the chamber. Turn the gun on its side and the next shell falls out. Allow the bolt to close then pull it back and tip the next shell out. Repeat as needed.

I know that works with the 870, but I'll have to admit I've never had to unload my 1100 that way so it's something of an assumption on my part.
Old July 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Barber2678

I'm guessing there is a button (or something similar) on the side of the receiver, at the rear of the loading gate, or around the trigger guard that will release the shells from the magazine. Get some dummy shells and start pushing things.
Old July 26, 2012, 12:29 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

With an 870 pump (I don't know about semis) you do have to pull the trigger to release a shell form the magazine UNLESS you push in the action bar lock. The 870 will eject live rounds, as long as it is pushed in, as fast as you pump it WITHOUT NEEDING TO PULL THE TRIGGER. In fact, it is better done with the safety on.

If you look at the manual you can find by following the link provided by dcobler, under "UNLOADING THE SHOTGUN" it explains how you have to depress the carrier lock button, located on the left side near the trigger guard, each time before cycling the bolt.
Old July 26, 2012, 03:07 PM   #9
1911Alaska

Thanks for the link dcobler! That solves my problem right there, boy am I embarassed and now I have a hole in my wall that was totally avoidable to ughhhh lol
Old July 26, 2012, 04:19 PM   #10
zippy13

From the owner's manual:

UNLOADING THE SHOTGUN

ALWAYS UNLOAD YOUR SHOTGUN IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU FINISH SHOOTING.

Keep the muzzle of the shotgun pointed in a safe direction, and keep your fingers out of the trigger guard and
away from the trigger at all times.
  1. Move the manual safety button to the "SAFE" position (refer to Manual Safety Operation, page 6).
  2. To unload a shell from the chamber, pull the operating handle rearward to extract the shell.
  3. To unload the magazine, lock the carrier by pressing the carrier lock button (located on the left side next to the trigger guard).
  4. Cycle the bolt to feed the next shell into the chamber.
  5. Press the carrier lock button again. Cycle the bolt to extract the shell from the chamber and feed the next shell into the chamber.
  6. Repeat step 5 until the magazine is empty and the bolt locks open.
  7. Visually confirm that there are no shot shells remaining in the magazine or chamber.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:32 PM   #11
jmr40

On my Benelli's I empty the chamber, leave to bolt locked open, turn the gun over with the loading port up. Then I depress the shell stop and pull the rounds directly from the magazine without feeding them into the chamber.

As far as I know this works with all repeating shotguns.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:10 PM   #12
dcobler

The good thing is that nobody got hurt. The better thing is that now you can prevent such instances in the future. And your more than welcome.