The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 10, 2012, 01:46 PM   #51
American Made

Many people of yesteryear made the mistake of shooting big mean animals with bullets designed for deer and human targets. This simply doesn't work.

As many have alreay pointed out = it's all in bullet design, bullet weight, and shot placement. I will also point out that high velocity doesn't equal dead animal. Many studies have been done that suggest that heavy, slow/moderate velocity bullets penetrate much deeper.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/lineba...tion.tests.asp

I agree with the above study. In my non-scientific testing my .45 Colt loaded with 300 gr hardcast at around 1100 fps will penetrate further in wet phone books than my 270 or 7mm-08. If I was shooting something hard like steel then the high velocity round would carry the day. I think it's because the higher velocity rounds shed their enegy faster on softer targets. The slower and heavier bullets just have more momentum.

Edit: I will do some more non-scientific testing with my .358 Winchester loaded with BB's 225gr. Barnes TSX loads.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=246

Last edited by American Made; June 10, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old June 10, 2012, 04:03 PM   #52
Deja vu

About 11 years ago I took my only hunt in Alaska I took my 45/70 for Kodiak. The guide stated he would rather see me shoot some thing better at a long range but he said if I felt confident with the 45/70 that it would work. I shot my bear at about 45 yards and it took 1 step and dropped dead.

I think the most important part of hunting any dangerous game is a good back up with you. The guide that took me had a 458 winmag (I think) and my father (who was not hunting but came to support me) had a 44 mag on his hip.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 11, 2012, 12:40 AM   #53
Cool Breeze

Could be a number of calibers I suppose........

I prefer the 45-70 with a "thumper" load

not a factory pud load

I also avoid the bear. If I were to get that close to the bear in the above photo, I would simply then turn the bear gun on myself and avoid the long term suffering of the situation altogether.....dang man, that's a large bear

I've never had to fire my unit yet
Old June 11, 2012, 01:08 AM   #54
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 10:40 PM #53
Cool Breeze

I also avoid the bear. . .
+1, that is the most important part of bear defense, just avoid them if possible.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:55 AM   #55
RevGeo

I doubt that bears read gov't reports or ballistic data for rifle cartridges. I live and hunt in N. Idaho grizzly country. There ain't a lot of them but they are there. We can't hunt grizzly up here as they are protected - and rightfully so.
I hunt deer, elk, black bear and hopefully, someday, moose (just got my rejection slip for a moose tag again..)
Like everybody else here when I hunt I have the rifle I hunt with (duh..) which in my case is a 30-40 AI. I have never seen a grizzly here and if I do I hope it is a long ways off.
If I was hunting grizzly I would use my rifle - which is ballistically the same as a 30-06 - and would not feel undergunned. If I were worried about bear defense alone I would carry the biggest, baddest gun I could lay my hands on.
I would be lying if I say I never think about the possibility of encountering a grizzly bear while in the woods, but I'm much more worried about meeting up with another ****** off cow moose. Once was enough on that score.
But, back to the topic - good grizzly cartridges. Anything that qualifies as a big game round will kill a bear with good shot placement. My hunting partner killed his 500lb. grizzly (while he was living in Canada) with one shot from a 6mm Rem because that was the gun he had with him. He's one hell of a game shot, by the way. Everyone I know who has killed a grizzly used their regular hunting rifle.
I don't know why I always respond to these bear threads...possibly for the same reason I watch Mob Wives...