The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2011, 09:04 PM   #1
joegotsoul

Practice in SouthEastern Michigan

I am looking at getting a gun for home defense. I like the idea of a shotgun, but am new to guns and would really like something that I can practice with.

Is there anywhere in the Southeastern Michigan area that is open for shotgun shooting using targets? I don't really want to use trap shooting to get a feel for my gun. I've seen Youtube videos of guys firing Mossberg 500s at the range - but I haven't seen anything like that in our area.

Maybe it would be best to stick to a handgun so that I can just belly-up to the pistol ranges?

Last edited by joegotsoul; September 13, 2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added location details
Old September 14, 2011, 09:56 AM   #2
bitttorrrent

What town you near. I had same question. Wanted to shoot shotgun at dads outdoor range. Still dont know if i can. He is looking into.

Maybe this wknd. I want to test his rem. 1100 for hd.
Old September 16, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
anonymousFolk

@joe

For SE Michigan...

If you want to go crazy on slugs, indoor ranges, like at Bass Pro, will accomodate you. Unlike the clays, you can't just show up, you have to book time in advance at Bass Pro. Not sure if that's true of other places.

But generally they get ****** if you come in trying to use #4 steel shot / buck and ball / bean bags / other crazy ammo, and make you stick to slugs.

If you got property or friends with property, cheaper alternative to go crazy out there.

There's a serious self-defense place in Shelby Township...like they'll do shotgun training for 8 hours where you need a sling, extended mag, and you'll be getting the whole kit and kaboodle about cover kneeling and all that.

http://cqtusa.com/main/default.aspx

^ Never asked what their range is like but I would hope they of all ranges would be HD shotgun friendly. If you go there I'd like to hear your experience.
Old September 18, 2011, 12:36 PM   #4
jrothWA

There's a number of MIDNR ranges for practcing BUT..

restricted on teh volume of shot fired.

google MI DNR ranges

Right now the traffic is increasing due to upcoming open seasons.

Most organizations ranges have restriction also, unless a specific course of fire and scheduled by them.

Lost Lake range complex is outside Brighton off I96 east of 23.

Sharon Hollow is west northwest of Manchester.

What county to help further?

Best practice is to use it at regular events, then you are familiar with
safeties and recoil.

Williams Gunsight Co., has their own range check their website form hours.

Last edited by jrothWA; September 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 22, 2011, 08:27 AM   #5
wilson133

I shoot at Williams regularly and they don't allow buckshot anywhere on their range.
Old September 22, 2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Lee Lapin

joe,

Start by taking a good look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw . Clint Smith is a straight shooter in more ways than one.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.