The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
tAKticool

Does anyone have a 'listing' of what each Benelli model is for?

Lol, stupid question but serious too- Benelli's website doesn't really address what each shotgun is for, and it's hard to understand. Now I'm MAKING THIS UP As an example but for example,

the Super Eagle vs. Super Vinci, mayben the difference is both are hunting shotugns but one is for autoloading 2 3/4" shells only, the other is for loading 2 3/4" and 3" and the Super Black iVinci Eagle does 3 1/2" autoloading. .. I mean I know the M4 is the best autoloader combat gun, the M2 is an autoloading recoil operated both field or taxctical gun, m3 IS Convertible, and M1 is, what is M1, the entry level autoloader?

And I know the Supernova is pump with tacticxal and field configs' - other than that what are all the other ones for?

Thanks - is there an actual writeup or page on the net or is this gonna require someone to actually go thru the trouble of explaining each one?
Old September 13, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
oneounceload

I guess i do not get what you can't understand from the Benelli site - if you want to know about upland shotgun models, click on the upland tab, or whatever you're looking for, and those models they build for that purpose come up
Old September 13, 2011, 02:25 PM   #3
tAKticool

thanks for your help. very informative bro.
Old September 13, 2011, 02:54 PM   #4
oneounceload

Sorry to have wasted my time trying to help you - perhaps taking a reading course will help you understand Benelli's pages where they go over each model.

Have a nice day
Old September 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5
erwos

Some of the differences are more subtle, such as weight, ergonomics/looks, and operating system. You might consider looking at this page:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/index.php?specs

But to directly address your question, they don't sell the M1 anymore because the M2 is the product-improved version of it. It doesn't fit in the line-up, but it's not in the line-up.
Old September 13, 2011, 04:47 PM   #6
tAKticool

Erwos thanks brother tha't will help a lot- I noticed it seemed some had pretty suble differences... I am trying to pry into the corners of two models, seems like both same barrel, both say semi auto, both shootin 2 3/4", and the diff is the way it looks or ergos. not really like Mossbergs you know?

Thanks also tho, is that what the M1 is, the M2 is just a better version updated version of it? I didn't know that. Right when I got my paperwork to start buying my own firearms a while back (Had always used families and sometimes friends) ... I decided I had no use for an AR (boy that changed lol) and would be a Shotgun guy, and I would have a few HD/Combat shotguns as some people have acollection of ARs. I asked one place for Mossberg's 930 SPX, he said, no they're not legal in NJ (in fact they're not as they come 7+1, you can only do autoloaders with 6 in NJ, but I got one "accidentially" sold to me in PA, befrore I know that I couldn't, and when I found out I really quick had a Choate magazine made for me to replace what I had and I'm 5+1 now)...

well anyway this counter jockey, dooshy 21 year old maximum, workerby redneck good old boy at the nicer of the local shops, I ask for the M930SPX, no we cant sell them have them in NJ, "But they're pieces of *$#* anyway [he actually curses at me, the customer]... you wouldn't want it .. but we DO Have this Benelli M2 Tactical, and it's WAY BETTER *THIS* is what you want to buy" ... Oh by the way did I mention? People were getting M930SPX's for around $600? This was around $1259 closer to $1300.

Convenient that the shotgun of the year , which was on allocation cause everyone wanted it no one had it , it was the hottest firearm on the market fit a bit, but it was a POS (cause he cant get it to sell it ) but what I really REALLY want, is $1,300, more than doubel the price... which he convieniently has right there for sale!
Old September 13, 2011, 07:33 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

tAKticool, Your observation is one of a typical gun store salesman. What you need is always what they have.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:27 AM   #8
erwos

Yes, your local lead dealer's motivations might not line up with your own. Caveat emptor and all of that.

You'd be surprised at how many older hunters and sportsmen care about having a traditional look for their shotgun/rifle... the Super Vinci is a superb firearm, but there are some people who just can't get by the way it looks. Hence, for those people, there's the SBEII and other such guns with more traditional styling.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:00 AM   #9
darkgael

What for?

Maybe you are expecting too much detail from Benelli - though the website supplies a lot of data about each gun.
Benelli offers this link:
Quote:
Below are many of the configurations for all the Benelli shotgun models. To learn more about a specific model, click the "learn more" link next to the model name.
So.....that appears to be the source of the info that you need. Each model is treated.
What did you not find?

Pete
Old September 14, 2011, 11:33 AM   #10
BigJimP

Benelli ( like all the divisons of Beretta ) are just trying to market their guns to a broad audience....

Yes, there are differences in the models ...but you don't have to buy a gun based on how they "market" it.

I own a pair of their "Supersport models" in 12ga and 20ga...and they're marketed as a "target" or a "sporting clays" gun....but personally, I use them as training guns for new shooters, for my grandkids - and for myself - as a travel gun that will do everything pretty well - from upland bird hunting, to skeet, sporting clays and even Trap. Its a good durable carbon fibre gun, 30" barrel, light to carry, impervious to weather ....and while not inexpensive at around $ 1,900 in my area ...it fills a need for me ( and I bought a 20ga version - just because ) and to give new shooters something else to shoot ...light gun, versatile, just another option.

Its not a Benelli - but in Browning O/U's - my primary gun is a Citori XS Skeet model with 30" barrels (and I have them in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ) --and in a 12ga version, its a do everything gun for me ( except Trap ) ...its a good Skeet gun, a good sporting clays gun and a good upland bird hunting gun...( for Trap I go to a heavier and longer gun )...but even though its marketed as a "Skeet" gun ...to me, its a very versatile, all around gun in the $ 3,300 price range these days.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...-comb-firearms

Are either of my choices your best option ....I don't know ....but don't get hung up on gun mfg's calling them "defense", or "sporting", or "Trap", or "Field" ...or "Skeet" or whatever .../ look at the specs - and figure out what you need ... drop at comb & heel, barrel length, chamber length, length of pull, weight, is it adjustable so I can get it to fit ....etc...
Old September 14, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
tAKticool

Jsut on the topic of Benelli-

I'm in NJ we can't have an autoloading shotgun with a pistol grip. Stupid but gets you all busted with the coppers.

The M2 is awesome, recoil operated tho. The Field Gun is like $900 at Dick's an doesn't do it for me. I commented ,the M2 Tactical was my first love with firearms, I had about $2500 saved for purchasing firearms when my paperwork came through so I had the money for the $1300 M2 Tac but I had not been expecting it, it was so fast and btw it was a Saturday, our gun laws say stop buying at 6pm on Sat so it was like 5:15 when I seen it, the guys like, you got 15 mins to make ur decision if you wanted it now cause tbhey gotta be called in by 530pm MINIMUM to make te deadline. So I mean i had 15 mins if Iwanted to get a hughly expensive but extremely sexy shotgun.. Well anyway it was AMAZING but I passed, wanted to keep thinking. I wound up lucking into the M930SPX at the PA Dick's the next day.

there was about a week earlier this year, Benelli had the M3 Convertible on their site with the ComfortTech installed. I didnb't have the money but I INSTANTLY wanted it, BAD, so I called and asked if I could order one and have it sent to my FFL (and i figured this would give me time and such to save my moneys lol, sell stuff etc)

Would you believe Benelli was like, it was a screwup. Someone here made a picture file on the computer of what the M3 WOULD LOOK LIKE with a ComfortTech stock put on it and his buddy in the net dept. put it online- we don';t make an M3 standard stock and we can't and we're not! IM LIKE ***, Just ask the guys to put a ComfortTech on one, its already o easy for you, no way!

So- I'm eventually gonna get me a Supernova Tactical, Ghost Ring Sites ,do the tritium night sights on it, a Nordic +2, maybe some sort of cheap green laser like NcStar etc. for fun, a nice sling, and bne happy with my Benelli that I could afford.
Old September 14, 2011, 03:53 PM   #12
BigJimP

I'm way past the point where I have any idea what you're frustrated with ..../ or what the heck your point is ....

but if you want a custom gun ...call Wilson Combat ...and open up your checkbook ! I do not have any of Wilson's combat shotguns / but they make fine 1911's ( that I have 3 of ) and they will, within reason, do whatever you want ..or what most anyone would want in terms of a tactical shotgun....and all the tacky tools you want to hang on it ...
Old September 15, 2011, 06:03 AM   #13
darkgael

and then

Quote:
So- I'm eventually gonna get me a Supernova Tactical, Ghost Ring Sites ,do the tritium night sights on it, a Nordic +2, maybe some sort of cheap green laser like NcStar etc. for fun, a nice sling, and bne happy with my Benelli that I could afford.
Well....that reads like you know what you want and what you'll be happy with - at least in theory. I have to ask - and give what I believe is good advice.....you going to spend a chunk of change on the Supernova as described...a fairly big investment for you if I read things correctly. What are you going to do with it once you have it? What will it be good for? Are you going to war? No.
Get a gun that you can use. Any - any - shotgun can be very effective "tactically" without all the sexy add ons which may look kool but don't make the gun shoot any better. The gun you describe might be a choice - maybe - if you were going to war but has little other use. (I know, I know...there are people who will tell us that they went to the Trap range with their tactical shotgun and outshot the four other fellows with the Krieghoffs. It just ain't so.). Spend the money on ammo instead or maybe a shotshell reloading set up so that you can get the most out of what you buy. Simple is better to start.
Pete
Old September 15, 2011, 07:29 AM   #14
jaguarxk120

If those guy's with the tackycool guns can out shoot the Krieghoffs then they should get a Krieghoff that fits. They would be in the money at every shoot!
Old September 15, 2011, 01:26 PM   #15
bitttorrrent

I think the original poster is right, Benelli's gun titles and website is confusing. They should make a chart since there are so many names and different technologies.

I think the marketing team should all be fired. I think they just sat around thinking up different names for the same core items.

What is the difference between,

Super Vinci
Vinci (under this there is Cordoba and Supersport)??
Super Black Eagle II
Performance shop Super Black Eagle II
Super Black eagle American Series
M2, Field, Tactical, with comfortech etc.

There is information, but you have to click on each one and read a paragraph.

They need a chart.
Old September 15, 2011, 02:25 PM   #16
BigJimP

I think if you look at just a couple of things their models will make more sense...and maybe they should do a lot of things ...but unless it hurts their sales....they probably won't do it ...

But look at :
a. comfort tech and non-comfort teach ( only synthetic stocks have it / it can't be put into a wood stocked gun ).

b. chamber length ...some are 3" and some are 3 1/2". Remember a shotshell is measured after its fired - not before. You can shoot 3" shells in a gun chambered for 3 1/2" - but you can't shoot 3 1/2" shells in a 3" chamber. Guns with 3 1/2" chambers are being marketed to "waterfowlers" primarily ....for hunters that think they need extra powerful magnum shells. But most of us have hunted for many yrs with guns chambered in only 3" for waterfowl. All of the guns with 3 1/2" chambers are more money.

c. performance shop ....adds a few things that you may or may not want or care about .... lengthened forcing cones, backbored barrels...and you can read pros and cons of why or why not .... Personally, its a good option / but not if you're on a budget.

d... the rest of it ....is gague, barrel length, finish and look of the gun in general ...and what you think you need....

If I were a buyer looking at their guns ...I'd go to a dealer and get a catalog / or get one online ....and then just make notes in the margins ...on cost vs options I wanted.

My 2 cents is - the comfort tech is a good system - and I'd recommend it.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:41 PM   #17
RsqVet

There is a definate trend towards over marketing amongst gun makers. Hence the lack of clarity. 20 years ago there were way less gimics to the gun industry.
Old September 16, 2011, 05:43 PM   #18
BigJimP

sure, but you can say that about anything these days.....from cell phones, TV sets, cars ...to McDonalds.../ its sure not unique to gun mfg's ...in my view.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:58 AM   #19
redrick

I would check the laws, on putting a +2 extension on an imported SG.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:28 AM   #20
PetahW

"A listing of what each Benelli model is for": .

Vinci - Monday gun

Cordoba - Tuesday gun

Super Black Eagle II - Wednesday humpday gun

M2 Field - Thursday gun

Nova - Friday & rainday gun

Montefeltro - Saturday gun

Legacy - Sunday-best gun