The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

What type of sling to get?

Help a newbie pick what type of sling to buy, I need something for trapsing around in the woods with my shotgun.

I can get a side sling attachment for my gun- what is the advantage of this? its either that or attach it to the grip and mag tube.

also, 2 point, 3 point? normal sling? what do yall think?
Old September 11, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

I regard what I use as a carrying strap and not a sling. When I am in the woods I am normally moving to a blind or to the next location to sit under a tree. I use the "Claw" brand on each of my rifles and shotguns. It carries the load quite well with a robust and wide section over the shoulder and does not slip. I suppose if you were a deer hunter, and you walked the woods, looking for deer, then something other than my suggested carrying strap would be better. Have your gun at the ready without carrying the weight all day- is that the intent? In my case, my gun would not be ready quick enough if I came across a deer while walking. He'd be off in a flash while I was pulling the gun off the shoulder.
Old September 11, 2011, 12:18 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For $9.96-14.99 you can get a FINE sling at China-Mart aka: El' Marto del Wal aka: Walmart.

For a few bucks more you can get a similar sling at a LGS.

Just make sure you get quick release swivels so you can put the sling away when not needed/wanted...

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 12:37 PM   #4
graysmoke

I have learned from personal experience and from others to avoid ebay.
I like seeing and touching anything that is going to be an accessory to my firearm.
There is a lot of junk out there. And Wal-Mart has a lot of it when it comes to accesories.
Look for a quality leather sling from a Gun Shop or Sportsman's Outlet Store....Buy American Made.....Ask First.
No offence, but Taiwanese and Chinaman are not that fine a gun accessory makers.
Old September 11, 2011, 12:45 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Chinese gear leaves much to be desired...
But the local shops near me sell mostly the same stuff as walmart. To buy American made leather gear is to spend much more.

Personally, I like the NON leather (maybe a bit of suede on the shoulder pad) slings as they require less care and maintenance...

Brent