The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2009, 11:31 AM   #1
petesull

Benelli Supernova with Pistol grip -- opinions

I've been reading up on shotguns and came across something that really bugged me--apparently, you cannot easily field strip a Supernova that has a pistol grip. The pistol grip overlaps a small part of the trigger housing, meaning you have to loosen the stock with a socket wrench to field strip. This is a terrible design flaw and makes me think twice before getting a Supernova. I don't think you have to do this on a Remington with a pistol grip. What do you guys think?
Old December 17, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I shoot a SuperNova without a pistol grip and my shooting buddy's SN has a pistol grip. I just checked with him and he stated he does have to loosen the stock retaining bolt a couple of turns in order to remove the trigger housing.

I'm not sure I would classify it as a design flaw. The non-pistol grip version of the SuperNova was most likely already in the field for some time before they decided to put a pistol grip on it. Could they have made it differently? I don't know....I don't have one sitting in front of me to evaluate.

You probably don't want a SuperNova if this is an issue for you. No reason to have something you are unhappy with even before you buy it.