The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 28, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Wildebees

Synthetic stocks for Lee Enfield

Anyone here who has experience of the different synthetic stocks available for the Lee Enfield?

I saw some displays on the Advanced Technologies website that appear pleasing, but one can not observe fine detail.

Any other manufacturers?

My 6.5/.303 project requires an attractive Monte Carlo type stock.
"Do you not know that all human ills and mean-spiritedness and cowardice arise not from death but from fear of death? Against this therefor fortify yourself....then you shall find that by this alone are men made free."
Old August 28, 2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

stocks

Sir;
Sinclair and Brownells sell No 4 SMLE stocks - they're about $70.00.
I'd also use some glass bedding.
Harry B.
Old August 28, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

You'll find the felt recoil is increased. Ramline makes or used to make one. Go here and click on the picture. Still not a great picture. They only have the camouflage model in stock. http://www.marstar.ca/ac-ATI/ATI-bolt-action.shtm
"...No 4 SMLE..." A No. 4 Rifle is not an SMLE. Only the No. 1 Mk whatever is an SMLE.
Old August 29, 2008, 02:13 AM   #4
Wildebees

Ah.. thank you gentlemen, your kind advice is much appreciated!
"Do you not know that all human ills and mean-spiritedness and cowardice arise not from death but from fear of death? Against this therefor fortify yourself....then you shall find that by this alone are men made free."
Old August 29, 2008, 10:03 AM   #5
CowTowner

I have a No 4 Mk 1 with an ATI synthetic stock on it.
You will feel the recoil much more. I recommend having a pad fitted to the butt.
It does make the old war horse a little lighter to carry around out in the field.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 29, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
4thPointofContact

I put an ATI sporter stock on my 7.62x51 Ishapore 2A1 (MkIII with better steel, essentially) . I also added an XS Sight systems scout scope mount over the barrel to compensate for eyes that have not aged well.

Since it was a synthetic stock and had no recoil pad to speak of, I was dreading the recoil I expected. I was pleasantly surprised...

From a bench position, (usually the worst way to sit regarding recoil) it felt equal or less than my 930 SPX with the 1-inch recoil pad firing reduced buckshot and a LOT less than shooting 3 inch birdshot out of the SPX. I was able to empty 10-round magazines as fast as I could throw the bold with a big smile on my face.

One word though... The checkered panels on the ATI stock are not molded in (??). They are separate pieces that attach to the forearm. If you are going to add a scout scope, you should have the forearm bedded since it's going to be "Dremelled" out anyway and the panels will then be a bit loose.

Right now, my little 'Ishie pseudo-scout' is one of my favorite trunk guns.
Old August 29, 2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Wildebees

Of Synth's and recoil and looks

I enjoyed reading all your posts, guys, thank you. As I am planning to use the synthetic stocks on the 6.5/.303 which will duplicate the 6.5 Swedish in performance, so recoil is no problem. A butt pad does make for better LOP though.

I have just recently redone my old No 4 Mk.1 from which I had earlier took the top wood off and shortened the fore end to the metal band position. I used to use it at farmers' get-together fun shoots with peep sights over distances from 200m to 600m.

I wanted an open sight bush rifle for Kudu / Impala / Warthog, where shooting is rarely beyond sixty meters, and where one equally rarely has more than 4 seconds available between sighting and shooting. So I shortened the barrel to just behind the step (bayonet lugs), fitted front and rear iron sights and reworked the rear stock to resemble a conservative Monte Carlo, and also fitted a butt pad. It looks pleasing, is considerably lighter and the recoil is similar to my son's Musgrave Light in 30-06 with 200gr bullets. It is pleasantly manly, not punishing. But then, I am used to .375 H&H.

Having sighted it from a rest I now practice off hand with the open sights, as it is the way we do 90% of our hunting. With glasses I trust myself up to 100m on impala.

Yes, certainly sitting at a bench allows unnatural positioning of the butt against the shoulder, so most of our shooting at the range is off hand. One needs to be able to hit a saucer size target at 100 meters, so that is what my son and I practise weekends when we are not hunting.

I shall post some pictures of the "new" old bush gun shortly. I in fact like it a great deal. I've always enjoyed the .303 as much as the 30-06, .308 and the .375 H&H.

Now some further research for the best synthetic, hopefully a pleasing camo.