The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

View Poll Results: Which 1911 / 2011 platform for limited IPSC (40 ca)
Para Ord Single action hi cap 2 8.70%
STI Edge 15 65.22%
SVI custom 3 13.04%
Other - please write in 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25, 2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Duxman

1911 platform advice needed

Moving from the Production class IPSC to the vaunted Limited class next year, and am making the leap from a Glock 34 to the uber class 1911 platform.

I plan to use factory either 180 grain or 165 grain loads, so from these platforms - what do you guys and gals think I should use?

Requirements - 2011 style or similar double stack capacity. 40 Caliber S&W, can take the 140mm and 170mm magazines. Single action trigger. Fiber optic sights. 5 inch barrel. Budget between $1k to 2K. Stainless finish

Para Ord P16 Single action
STI Edge 2011
SVI custom gun
other?

Your input is highly requested.
Old August 29, 2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Joe D

Why don't you just get a Glock 35? The high $$$$ guns don't shoot any better.
Old August 29, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Duxman

I have a Glock 34, and have been leaning towards the 1911 for several reasons:

Better trigger reset

Weight absorbs a lot more recoil

Cooler looking gun.

I will be taking a glock as my carry gun though. But as for competition, must join the others carrying the lightsaberesque 1911.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

For $2000 you can get a worked over Edge from Brazos or Dawson in hard chrome. Trust me....you want hard chrome.

Mine now has a tungsten sleeved barrel and guiderod, but I like heavy guns.

Old August 29, 2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Lurper

Either get an Edge or Trusight.
Old August 30, 2006, 09:53 AM   #6
HSMITH

I voted STI Edge, but........

I shoot a full custom built from the best parts money can buy STI. It cost a whopping $200 more than a tuned Edge from Dawson or Brazos and it was brand spanking new. My gun was built by Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports. Delivery time was about 13 weeks from order to the first shot. The Edge isn't the value it is percieved to be when bought new.

If you are going to buy a new gun get a full custom gun. I wouldn't recommend a new gun though. Pick up a used Edge or Eagle or even a used Custom gun. Put a tungsten rod in it to see what that feels like, make it heavy and then make it light. Shoot it for a while, see what you like, then sell it to fund your custom built gun. The reason I tell people this is that you really don't know what you want or what fits you until you try it. Lycanthrope and I are decent shooters, but I would hate his gun and he would hate mine. I like really light snappy guns and he likes a heavy stable gun. If we swapped guns our performance would decline, but we wouldn't have known that right out of the gates. It takes time and experience to find out what works for you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TSS Blaster_resized.JPG (208.8 KB, 2048 views)
Old August 30, 2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Lycanthrope

Oh, I don't think I'd hate that Benny Blaster. I shot the one he built for Tony Holmes a few years back and it was a great piece. That's a good point though, you can get a decent custom if you shop around.

And...light guns aren't bad. I won B class at the W. Pa sectionals last year with a Brazo's short dustcover/bushed barrel gun. That thing was several ouces lighter than a standard 1911 (even the stock Edge weighs less than a Government model 1911 when unloaded). Just remember, it's easier to go light later starting out with a heavy gun than vice versa. You can get the slide cut rather cheaply from EGW, Gans and other good shops.

What's the trigger break on that beast?
Old August 30, 2006, 04:49 PM   #8
HSMITH

Pound and a half if I use Slide Glide on the hammer and sear. With oil it is a pound and 3/4. I let a couple shots go a little prematurely over the last couple weeks by over-prepping, so I cranked in a little more sear spring last night. Didn't check it but it feels like it is up to about 2.5 pounds. I may take it up to 3-3.5 and see how it feels.

I like really light guns, I haven't met a gun that was too light for competition yet. Light, fast, sharp, that is what I like in a competition gun. My gun is not very pleasant to punch paper with, recoil is pretty sharp. It is accurate enough to shoot bullseye competition with, but I don't think I would want to......

There have been some SMOKING deals on used guns over on the USPSA classified ads recently.
Old August 30, 2006, 05:20 PM   #9
stephen426

According to STI, the Edge is the most commonly used gun for USPCA competition. STI is not a custom gun manufacturer and they stress that point. Their factory guns are as good as many custom guns, but most serious competitors will send it to a smith to work over. Compared to a stock Para Ordnance, the STI is much better. I have not had the opportunity to shoot a custom SVI pistol yet so I can't judge.

I have shot some modified STIs and recently bought a preowned Edge. They are incredibly accurate and very easy to shoot quickly, despite the lighter weight frame. I think the polymer frame really helps with the recoil because the difference between my Edge and my Sig P229 is enormous. The Edge is such a flat shooting gun and follow up shots are really quick. Make sure you handle one to see how it fits your hand since the grip is pretty chunky.

You cannot compare a Glock to an STI. I am a Glock fan and I carry a 26 for concealed carry. The light crisp trigger with minimal travel is far superior to Glock's trigger. The accuracy from the STI's bull is far more accurate than Glock's barrel. Glocks make great combat guns but they are way out classed by custom guns. The only advantage they have is price.
Old August 31, 2006, 04:36 PM   #10
Duxman

Wow these are terrific toys. One day.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I found my baby.

A slightly used Like New Para P16. Price was less than $700.

Now part of the elite 1911 club. I will drop picks when I pick up the gun this weekend.
Old September 1, 2006, 09:03 PM   #11
rhgunguy

SVI will build you the exact gun you want. That makes them attractive to me. But it realy does not matter becasue I can't afford either.
Old September 1, 2006, 09:34 PM   #12
stephen426

Congrats Dux! Have fun with your new toy. You got a great deal by the way.
Old September 4, 2006, 07:35 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

length matters

Curious as to reliability with factory ammo......
Old September 4, 2006, 10:52 AM   #14
HSMITH

Lots of P16's on the ranges around here. Some run just fine on factory ammo and some don't. For every 2 that run short ammo I see one that doesn't if I had to take a SWAG. I would venture a guess that with some magazine tuning that could be as high as 9 out of 10 though, most guys have no idea how to tune magazines. The biggest problem I see is an early release of the round from the lips. Para magazines are thin enough that you really have to keep an eye on them, they get the snot beat out of them in USPSA being dropped and stepped on constantly.

My STI runs everything I have put in it so far. From 1.075" to 1.265". It does seem a little smoother with long ammo, so it gets a constant diet of 1.235" ammo.
Old September 4, 2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Lycanthrope

Same here. My Edge feeds Winchester White Box all day long, but loading long (1.195 for me) keeps the rounds in order after dumping half full mags on the ground all day.
Old October 2, 2006, 10:33 AM   #16
Duxman

Here's a shot of the new toy!

Thanks again for all your help.

Mods that are coming for next year:

Magwell
Tungsten rod
Bull Barrel

Old October 2, 2006, 08:36 PM   #17
HSMITH

Nice gun!!!

I would go for a magwell, but I wouldn't put a bull barrel or a tungsten rod in it. I would spend that money on really good fire control parts and slide lightening if there was any money left.

The Para factory hammer and sear are a little soft, they will be pretty much toast at 25K rounds if they last that long. A good hammer and sear set up correctly will go 100K. Spend every cent you spend on that gun for reliability until you would bet the farm it will cycle every time on time. Then worry about the things you might want.

If that gun doesn't have a metal mag catch in it yet you NEED one. Get it NOW. I use Brown and Clark catches in my Para's, both seem to be pretty darn good.

If you learn to reload that Para decently without a magwell you will be in great shape with anything you pick up. They require a more precise insertion than anything else I have played with when they don't have a magwell on them. I would work on it for a while before I put a magwell on.