The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
m477

Buying my first gun; Savage Mark II BTVS action and barrel in 93R17 BV stock?

I'm thinking about buying my first gun. I've been reading a lot (mainly Chuck Hawks' website) and I've been lurking here on the TFL forum for a while. I think I've decided on a Savage Mark II BV (bolt-action .22 LR) for various reasons: the AccuTrigger, durable and stable laminate stock, and heavy "varmint" barrel. I live in an urban area, so I will probably be using the gun for target practice at a range. I have a few questions before I go buy anything.

I haven't had a chance to handle a Mark II. I'm 6'1 and thin with moderately long arms and fingers. If you have used a Mark II with a standard-style stock, and you have a similar height and build, please tell me how well the gun fits you. Which retailers can I go to where someone can "fit" me for a gun? (I live in DFW.) If the pull is too short, can I lengthen it by installing a longer/thicker recoil pad?

I prefer a gun with a stainless action and barrel. I've read a few debates between black/blued and stainless. My father has an old side-by-side 12 gauge shotgun where the blueing has severely deteriorated and the steel has begun to rust. I don't want that to happen to my gun, and I don't want to have to worry about maintaining a blued finish. Also, I just like the look of stainless. Other than those things, I don't have any special need for stainless; I will probably be using the gun at indoor ranges, or outdoor ranges on clear days. There are some Mark II models available in stainless, but they have thumb hole or skeleton stocks; I prefer a gun with a standard or classic-style stock.

I'd like a gun with a wood laminate stock, but I don't care for the tan/black color of the Mark II BV's stock. I like the pepper gray color of the Savage 93R17 BVSS stock.

Basically, I want the Mark II BTVS stainless action and stainless varmint-weight barrel installed in the 93R17 BVSS pepper gray wood laminate stock.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBTVS
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BVSS

I called and asked Savage about this; they said they could do it, and they quoted me about $500. That doesn't sound too bad, but it sounds like a lot for a .22, it sounds like a lot for my first gun. Is there a way to do this cheaper? Or should I not bother, and just get a Mark II BV as-is?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by m477; April 10, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Jerry45

I have both 93R17BVSS and MARKIIBTVS. First thing I did with 93R was put it in a Boyds thumbhole stock. Same stock the MARKIIBTVS is in. I’m 5’10” and the stocks fits me perfectly. You many need a little longer pull. You could add a LimbSavor over the stock pad and get another inch or so of pull or you could probably add some spacers under the recoil pad if you feel you need it.

Boyd’s thumbhole stocks run right around $100.00 and they come in an assortment of colors/patterns.
Old April 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
m477

Thanks for the info, Jerry. Do you still have the original stock from your 93R? I might be interested in buying it. About the Boyd's stocks... how much work is it to remove the action from the original stock and install the action in a new stock? What is the process? Also, are the Boyd's stocks "finished" and ready to have actions installed in them, or is some other work required beforehand?

Thanks again.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Jerry45

Yes I do but I’m not really interested in selling it. You can get one from Boyds for way less than Savage wants for one. Boyds makes the stocks for Savage so if you buy direct from Boyds you’re getting the same stock that comes on the Savage.

If you try a thumbhole stock I believe you’ll like it better than the sport stile stock. When I bought my 93R I didn’t think I’d like the thumbhole stock. Not long after I bought my wife a model 25 .223 with a thumbhole stock. After shooting it I bought one for my .17 HMR and my Remington 700. If you're going to be lugging it around the woods and fields the sport stock IS lighter.

All that is necessary to remove the action from the original stock is to remove the two action screws. Pull the action out of the original stock place it in the new stock and reinstall the two action screws.

If you are going from the 93R17BVSS to the thumbhole stock you need to buy a kit. It contains different mounting screws, trigger guard and mag well plate. You need the trigger guard and mag well plate but the screws (longer screws) are unnecessary. I found they were too long and I used my original screws. If you're going from thumbhole stock to 93R17BVSS you'll need the BVSS parts. BVSS trigger guard is plastic. The one for the thumbhole is metal.

If you have any other question just ask I’m glad to help. If you would like to talk to me direct drop me a PM and I’ll give you my cell #.

Last edited by Jerry45; April 12, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old April 12, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
m477

Good morning Jerry,

Thanks for the tip about the price of the stocks. I was thinking about buying both guns, swapping the actions and barrels, and selling the 2nd gun (which would be exactly the same as a factory 93R17 BTV, I think). Getting a replacement stock will be a lot less expensive than buying a 2nd gun.

I would prefer to have a metal trigger guard and magazine well plate. If I follow your recommendation to buy one gun and a replacement stock, what parts will I need? You said the Mark II BTVS (thumb hole) parts are metal; can I take the BTVS action screws, trigger guard and magazine well plate, and install them on the Boyd's / 93R17 BVSS stock? (I think you already answered this question in your previous post, but I didn't quite follow your descriptions.)

The Boyd's website says that the Savage Rimfire Hunter stocks are "finished". Will I have to do any fitting, sanding, oiling/lacquering or bedding?
Old April 12, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Jerry45

Howdey m,

The metal trigger guard will not fit the VB stock. The VB plastic trigger guard is screwed on the stock. The Mark II trigger guard is recessed into the stock and if I remember correctly one of the action screws go through one of the trigger guard screw holes. On the VB the actions screws go through the stock and there are two wood screws holding the trigger guard on the stock. I’m pretty sure I remember that correctly.

Simple explanation: The Mark II “metal” magazine plate will work on the VB. The Mark II “metal” trigger guard will not. You’ll have to get the “plastic’ one. OR! You may be able to router out the VB stock to install the metal trigger guard. Can’t really say without having both stocks in front of me and my VB stock is in the rafters of my shop. Don’t worry it’s boxed up. I’m pretty sure it will work if you have a router or are good with a wood chisel.