The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2017, 06:41 PM   #1
cdoc42

Model 700 trigger pull adjustment

I have a Remington Model 700 in .270 that I bought in 1969. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and set it at 3 lb.

In 2013 I bought a newer Stainless steel Model 700 CDL in .270 and it has a trigger adjustment screw at the base of the trigger. Factory set was 5 to 5-1/2 lb but instructions advise turning the screw counter clockwise will lighter the trigger pull with strong warning about going below 3 lb unless you are bench rest shooting with adequate attention being paid to let-off.

Well, I could not get this trigger below 4 to 4-1/4 lb -and not consistently - and finally the little set screw came all the way out and bounced into the carpet pile, escaping discovery.

I contacted Remington and they sent me a new set screw; I questioned if the rifle was safe to shoot without the screw and was assured it was safe to do so.

The new screw arrived but differs from the old one in that it has a small pin at the end rather than a beveled head. Be that as it may I cannot get the screw back in, old eyes and less dexterity playing a role. Then it struck me - if the trigger pull is 4 to 4-1/4 lb without the screw, what's the point of putting back in? That would just increase the pull.

Does anyone here have experience with adjusting this type of trigger?
Old August 1, 2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Scorch

The newer X-Mark Pro triggers are pretty much as you describe. They are hard to get down to 3 lbs, no matter what. Put in a new Timney and be done with it.
Old August 1, 2017, 04:06 AM   #3
jmr40

Just put a Timney in the new rifle and be done with it.

Winston Churchill
Old August 1, 2017, 06:54 AM   #4
eastbank

i bought a cz 550 in 6.5x55 that had a decent trigger put for hunting, but i wanted it a little lighter and thought it would be a bugger to adjust. boy was i wrong, after looking on line to look at the trigger adjustments and taking the cz out of the stock, i only had to adjust one screw to get the trigger pull the way i liked it and the same for the set trigger,one screw. simple, eastbank.
Old August 1, 2017, 12:13 PM   #5
hoghunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
The newer X-Mark Pro triggers are pretty much as you describe. They are hard to get down to 3 lbs, no matter what. Put in a new Timney and be done with it.
That's exactly what I have found too. Factory trigger came out, Timney trigger went in!
Old August 1, 2017, 04:08 PM   #6
tobnpr

The trigger is a critical component for accuracy, if a target application consider replacing as suggested.
Timney is always a solid choice, as is Shilen, Jewell, and a new one by Triggertech that I haven't had a chance to try out yet but has some solid reviews.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 3, 2017, 05:00 AM   #7
DAVID NANCARROW

I have heard there is an aftermarket spring kit for the Mark X Pro trigger that will bring the pull down to a consistent pull weight below 4 pounds, but I swapped mine out for a Timney mainly because I hated that skinny Mark X trigger. I bought the basic Timney for the Rem 700 action and its a much better product, easy to adjust, and very consistent in its operation.
Old August 3, 2017, 08:18 AM   #8
MislMan

If you're happy with the 4 lb. trigger pull, go with it. No reason to put screw back in. If you want lower trigger pull then get a Timney trigger. I'd shoot it with the 4 lb. pull and see how you like that and then proceed from that point as necessary.
Old August 3, 2017, 05:19 PM   #9
cdoc42

MislMan, that sounds like a plan.
Old August 3, 2017, 07:47 PM   #10
joed

When I bought a new 700 SPS about 5 years ago the first 2 things I did before I picked the rifle up was order a Timney and a B&C stock.

I wouldn't give 2 cents for an X mark.