The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2013, 10:52 AM   #51
buck460XVR

In my opinion, There are already a lot of bullets out there we DO NOT need. Hornady's Zombie bullets are a prime example. With the technology we have today, I believe that using today's standard materials we have gotten the maximum potential outta bullets both for hunting and SD......regardless of what ammo companies want us to believe. The search for the magic bullet has been ongoing since the invention of firearms and will continue until their or our total demise. What I see in the near future is a need for inexpensive and safe alternative to lead and gilding metals for the gun enthusiast that likes to shoot a lot.
Old March 1, 2013, 10:57 AM   #52
pathdoc

Regarding the call for a somewhat "sharper" .312 calibre bullet, Woodleigh Bullets make a 174 grainer that's got a BC of about .362 but you have to get them in from Australia - which is fine if you live there, but can get expensive otherwise. And it's a premium hunter, not something you can take to a range and shoot in a match unless you have a very fat wallet.

I appreciate that what people are calling for here is for Hornady or Speer, say, to sharpen up their heavyweight a little. Alternatively, if they're going to continue to produce a bluff-nosed bullet with a ballistic coefficient not much higher (if at all) than the sectional density, at least have the decency to bring back the 215 grain weight (again available from Woodleigh, but again not the cheapest).
Old March 1, 2013, 11:15 AM   #53
schmellba99

Sevens:

Quote:
Obviously, 9mm and .45 are amongst the leaders in handgunning popularity and there are multiple bulk sources for jacketed bullets for these guys. And plated works awfully well for those who need some of the jacketed qualities that you don't get from cast lead bullets, and you can buy plated bullets in bulk. But there's a place where plated bullets have their limit and only jacketed will do and yet there are either none or extremely limited venues for bulk bullets. I'm talking about making purchases no smaller than 1,000 pieces and more commonly at around 3,000 pieces & beyond.
Precision Delta pretty much matches this to a T. Minimum orders of 2000, I know folks that order in quantities of 10k from them at a time.

The biggest problem with "bulk" bullets most of the time is that they aren't priced like bulk bullets. It's always a function of cost to the buyer.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:26 PM   #54
Sevens

Precision Delta--for sure!
However, P-D makes 9, .40 and .45 slugs. I know...as I've bought many thousands of them.

However, they don't make a jacketed .357" slug of any weight. They don't make a jacketed .429" of any weight. Boy, I'd do backflips if they churned out a 100 grain .312" jacketed slug, but they'd only be selling bullets to the fifteen of us that enjoy playing with the "one foot in the grave" .327 Federal Magnum.

Believe me, I'm very well aware of Precision Delta, but when I mentioned in my post that finding bulk jacketed in sizes OTHER than 9, .40 and .45, it was with P-D very clearly in mind.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:29 PM   #55
Sevens

Quote:
There are already a lot of bullets out there we DO NOT need. Hornady's Zombie bullets are a prime example.
I suppose I could be mistaken, but I thought the Hornady Zombie bullet was nothing, NOTHING more than a V-max with a neon-green colored tip and ridiculously flashy packaging.

As such, that entire concept was both idiotic and absolutely BRILLIANT. I can't even imagine the irrational amount of sales they made with that scheme and I would have loved to see the sales pitch of the guy who hatched the idea when he took it to his bosses at Hornady and said, "ummm, I think we need to do this. I'll bet a few people looked at him like he was a complete idiot.

He's probably got a few "employee of the month" plaques on the wall next to the crapper, though.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #56
Robert Palermo

Corbin who mfgs bullet swaging equipment maintains that there are number of bullets and calibers that there is small niche market for and that many have developed small bullet companies that fufill that need thru custom swaging of bullets that can't be commercially bought. I suggest you go to his web site and do some perusing and that might get your brain cells hummimg. Some of these companies are listed in small ads in the back of Handloader magazine.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:42 PM   #57
wogpotter

Quote:
Regarding the call for a somewhat "sharper" .312 calibre bullet, Woodleigh Bullets make a 174 grainer that's got a BC of about .362 but you have to get them in from Australia
I wasn't really looking for just a "sharper" bullet, but a "less blunt" one with specifically a flat base.
Its an Enfield thing, Lee Enfield rifling, particularly worn or old 2-groove, will keyhole boat tails in 15 yards!

Horrible, isn't it?

The original Mk VII bullet was a slightly modified woodeigh type, with the alloy or fiber internal tip. With the original sights you're callibrated for a pointed flat base 174 grainer like this & the round nose softpoint 180's are off by just enough to be a problem.

No 3 is the original Mk VII, but at 40 cents a pop I don't see the idea being workable. The other bullets are (1) & (2) 150 gr SPFB & (4) a 174 Gr FMJ-BT of .311" dia.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 1, 2013, 03:44 PM   #58
Sevens

I can't see the keyhole picture. Could we zoom in a bit and get a better look?!
Old March 1, 2013, 03:56 PM   #59
Magnum Wheel Man

BRIAN... when you get ready to go, let me know, as a guy who reloads way too many cartridges, I'm sure I could help you out... in everything from the 25 caliber bullets I mentioned, to a cast or swaged lead bullet for my antique 44 Bulldog, that I load using cut off 44 special cases, to some of the older Contender chamberings... I'm sure I would be good for a couple bullet weight / profiles you could make... some bullets I'd be happy with 100, others, if you are making bulk lots, I might give them a try as well

good luck in your new business... so are you giving up on Pizza ???
Old March 1, 2013, 04:01 PM   #60
schmellba99

Quote:
However, they don't make a jacketed .357" slug of any weight.
polygunbag.com has 158 FMJ .357/.38 projos at $31.50/250. No mention of quantity discount or limits on their website, but you may give them a call and see if they'll do better pricing for a bulk order.

Edit, sorry about that - just saw that they are out of stock right now.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:23 PM   #61
Sevens

No need to apologize--just about everyone is out of slugs but a new source I can look at in the future is always appreciated.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:11 PM   #62
SL1

Probably NOT what you are really hoping to find that we are looking for, but I am still wanting .355" diameter, 125 grain jacketed bullet with a nose profile suitable for the 357 Sig and a canelure in the right place to make a decent role crimp and end-up with a COL of about 1.140" to 1.135".

I thought you wanted those, too.

SL1
Old March 1, 2013, 08:20 PM   #63
hooligan1

Snuffy, the point that I was trying to convey to Peetza, was that if we could think of an easy way to make him money we would have already done it for ourselves, and that if you want target mainstream handloaders, then you will need to invent the wheel.
Now taking into consideration he has this World wide forum to glean this knowledge from then he's really not doing it for himself, in other words I would like to test his bullets, and I will be dilligent in my testing, but I won't spend the money that I spend on premium bullets..

And Fusion bullets are'nt what you think they are, if they were then they would be everywhere like Interbonds, or Accubonds, or even Sierra Gamekings,(which I like and they are cheap enough and PLENTIFUL), so in reality if he really wants to produce highend, Premium Hunting/Target bullets, he'll have to appeal to the masses.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:23 PM   #64
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1
Probably NOT what you are really hoping to find that we are looking for, but I am still wanting .355" diameter, 125 grain jacketed bullet with a nose profile suitable for the 357 Sig and a canelure in the right place to make a decent role crimp and end-up with a COL of about 1.140" to 1.135".
I thought you wanted those, too.
Interesting idea. I'm not sure the price point is there though. I'll have to look into it.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:27 PM   #65
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
BRIAN... when you get ready to go, let me know, as a guy who reloads way too many cartridges, I'm sure I could help you out... in everything from the 25 caliber bullets I mentioned, to a cast or swaged lead bullet for my antique 44 Bulldog, that I load using cut off 44 special cases, to some of the older Contender chamberings... I'm sure I would be good for a couple bullet weight / profiles you could make... some bullets I'd be happy with 100, others, if you are making bulk lots, I might give them a try as well

good luck in your new business... so are you giving up on Pizza ???
I appreciate that.

At $1,000 for a set of dies, there needs to be some pretty good demand though. Unless you want to pay $10 per.
Old March 3, 2013, 03:54 PM   #66
pathdoc

Wogpotter, I 've shot quite a few of your bullet #4 myself, and I bought the first SMLE I saw specifically because the bore was a multi-grooved, Lithgow-spawned thing of immaculate beauty (and the rest of the gun wasn't in bad shape either). It swallowed them uncomplainingly and gave me reasonable results (commensurate with my skill, at any rate). But I fully understand your problem.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:27 PM   #67
jimbob86

Quote:
Brian, it sounds like you want to make bullets? I think there might be an opportunity...... There was a fairly popular bullet that had a good reputation but it's maker decided to discontinue it in favor of a cheaper but adequate product. If you could obtain a license to make and distribute the discontinued bullet you could be golden........or perhaps silver. Of course, I'm talking about the original Silvertip.
The aluminum tipped Winchester Silvertip was dropped because the bullet cost more than a standard cup and core bullet to make, and performed poorly at close range, especially in high velocity cartridges like .270WIN. Nothing will hack off a hunter like shooting a deer at 10 yards with his trusty deer rifle and having the deer run away with "the hickey from hell" on its shoulder, leaving little or no blood trail.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:40 PM   #68
NWPilgrim

Is There an Unmet Need in the World of Bullets?

It seems odd to me there are no .224" bonded bullets in the length and weight to replicate 55 and 62 gr FMJ available as components. The Trophy BondedBear Claw is close but hugely expensive and only in factory ammo for LE. Same goes for the gold dots.

The idea would be to replicate exterior ballistics of cheap practice ammo but have a tough bullet that would hold up for barrier blind defense and hunting. Whether you agree with that use or not I guarantee you would sell all you can make for SHTF stockpiles and everyday hunting assuming it holds together on hogs. Call them Hog Hammers!

Right now the only normally available bullet that comes close are the Barnes TSX. You would want one that is tough and that replicates the exterior ballistics and reloading specs for each of 55 gr FMJ, 62 gr SS109, 69 gr and 75 gr BTHP. And cheap FMJ in 69 gr and 75 gr.

The idea is that you could develop one load and shoot to same point of impact with FMJ, BTHP, and bonded protected soft point like the Gold Dot. Right now I work up separate loads, even with different powders, for 62 gr FMJ, 62 gr TSX, and 69 BTHP. POI is off laterally by a few inches at 100 yds. So I sight in my scope for BTHP and remember the hold offs for the others. You produce a line of bullets that offer multiple designs in the popular weights that shoot to same POI and you win't be able to make enough.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:58 PM   #69
Bart B.

FMJ bullets besides 22 and 30 caliber????

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading

The list from Lapua has several of them

And several FMJ bullets in 35 and larger calibers are available, too.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:02 PM   #70
wogpotter

Quote:
Wogpotter, I 've shot quite a few of your bullet #4 myself, and I bought the first SMLE I saw specifically because the bore was a multi-grooved, Lithgow-spawned thing of immaculate beauty (and the rest of the gun wasn't in bad shape either). It swallowed them uncomplainingly and gave me reasonable results (commensurate with my skill, at any rate). But I fully understand your problem.
Its actually not my problem at all. I have a tight '55 Faz that will eat BTs all day without compaining.
I was thinking of all those with Enfields that won't digest BT without a problem. (Thats not even my pic of the keyhole it came from someone else who was having the problem.)

Old March 7, 2013, 12:07 PM   #71
wogpotter

Well I let the poll run until today to see some kind of representative intrest (or lack of it).
I gave price options from "under 25 cents" up in 10 cent increments to "50 cents or more".

I had over 150 hits & not a single vote in the poll or comment. I guess the best term for interest is "relaxed apathy", sorry about that.

Old March 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #72
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, thanks for the effort anyway.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:28 PM   #73
wogpotter

Oh don't worry. I'll remind 'em when the (inevitable) next "Keyholes, why no 174 Gr FB" thread gets started.

Old March 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #74
BrokenBottles

.357" diameter poly tipped rounds for lever guns. Hornady only had the 140g listed the last time I looked and there's so many things I want to hit that are more than 150yards away.

I know Hunting with lever guns isn't too popular but I know a few people who do and one guy makes his own but wont tell anyone how he makes them and wont sell them
Old March 7, 2013, 05:21 PM   #75
centurion20000

Here's an unmet need. A 308 version of the SS109 round. Not AP because the SS109 only uses a steel penentrator in the tip (enhanced penetration vs true AP) and uses a lead core.

A 130 grain bullet that you can push over 3200 fps would sell like hotcakes.