The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: actual experience with taurus
Never owned one, but would if the right deal came along 42 11.76%
never owned one and never will 22 6.16%
owed/still own taurus handguns with no issues 198 55.46%
owned/still own taurus hanguns with problems 95 26.61%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2013, 10:42 PM   #51
Venom1956

Looks alot better then my 990!

Also I think there is alot of variation of the expectations of each individual shooter in terms of what is quality and what is 'GOOD' in a fire arm. I've heard people claim their stock Glock 17s break like a good 1911 trigger... which is frankly due to design impossible.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 4, 2013, 10:50 PM   #52
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerko View Post
Considering Taurus is owner of Remington and probably more US gun makers , you should look at whoooole thing differently now.
Taurus is a possible purchaser of Freedom Group, but last I checked the transaction hadn't happened. Do you have newer info?
Old February 4, 2013, 11:52 PM   #53
Crankylove

I have never personally owned a Taurus...........because family members bought some first, and after thier experiences, the thought of owning one never crossed my mind again.

My fathers 6 shot, blued snubbie in .38 special is typical of what I have seen with my own eyes in other family and friends Taurus firearms. He put about 50 rounds of .38 Specials (not +P) through it before it locked completely.......cylinder, hammer, trigger all frozen solid. Sent it back to For repair, and about 5 months later Taurus finally got around to looking at it, discovered the frame had been machined so far out of spec in thier factory, that they declared it wasn't safe to even fix it (which makes you wonder how it passed there QC to start with) and replaced it with a different model revolver without even consulting my father first.

New revolver gets about 200 rounds through it when the cylinder starts free spinning at random, and when it does actualy lock up, it's so far out of time, the firing pin is striking the rim of the cartridge.

Now he is stuck with another paperweight that isn't safe to shoot, he can't in good conscience sell to anyone knowing the problems it has, and to send and TRY and get repaired could take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months..........and may or may not be fixed when it comes back, or even be the same firearm.

If that is what the good quality Taurus guns are, I can do without them.

Last edited by Crankylove; February 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old February 5, 2013, 01:48 AM   #54
skidder

I've owned two and they both had problems. Sent one back with no success; fixed it myself and then sold it. The other needed to be sent back, but by that time I was done. Sold it "as is" for half price.

I've been jaded by their product and their so called "warranty".
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old February 5, 2013, 02:20 AM   #55
Ben Towe

I chose "Never owned one and never will" but it needs clarification. While I haven't personally owned one, a couple of my friends do and I have shot them quite a bit. One (a 1911) runs like a Singer sewing machine, the other, a Millennium .45 (can't remember the model number) is a major jam-o-matic. The only thing you can be certain will go bang is the first shot. After that it's a coin flip. That experience combined with the many horror stories are enough to keep me away. While there are undoubtedly worse choices out there, there are a lot of better ones as well.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:41 AM   #56
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennJed
Not sure why you think I am ignoring anyone. I am neither a fanboy or a basher. I have had limited experience with them and wanted to see how the poll numbers shook out with people tha have owned them and had problems vs no problem. You can obviously choose the option for owned with problems. If you notice there is no option for love them either. I guess by your reasoning I have ignored that large group of people. Your "ignorance is bliss" comment is misguided.

I am simply looking for numbers on how many people have owned and had problems vs no problem. The people like yourself that hate them can feel right at home on the last option.
My original question (which you ignored) was directed at you.
The comment you quoted was directed at James K.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:31 AM   #57
Mrgoosell

I bought a taurus 990 22lr. Im not happy with the purchase, the gun fires fine never had a problem. The thing that is annoying is the empty shells are very very hard to get out. Most of the time i have to jam on the ejector rod extremely hard. Ill wont buy a taurus again unless I shoot it first.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 5, 2013, 06:48 AM   #58
patriotic

Send it in and get it fixed. Problem most likely is the extractor. It is a machine, things happen.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:17 AM   #59
Mrgoosell

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotic View Post
Send it in and get it fixed. Problem most likely is the extractor. It is a machine, things happen.
It was sent in, it came back 2 months later exactly the same.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 5, 2013, 08:36 AM   #60
CajunBass

I've owned four Taurus revolvers. Only one did I shoot extensivly, but that one a Model 82? (Fixed sight, 4" barrel, 38, more or less a Model 10 copy). That one I shot quite a bit, mostly using wadcutter loads. Other than ugly grips, I had nothing to grip about.

The other three, a Model 66, an 85, and a 94, I didn't really shoot a lot, but never had any trouble with, but I traded/sold them all off for something else. Now, to be fair, I have also traded off a number of Smith & Wesson, Colt, and Ruger revolvers. I just buy, sell and trade a lot.

No, I don't think they're "just as good" as the big three, but I don't think they're bad either.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 5, 2013, 09:04 AM   #61
ndking1126

I've owned one Taurus. It was a .357 revolver and I liked it.. until it jammed. I'm not up on revolver terminology, but the piece you push to eject spent shells became loose while I was shooting. The cylinder was caught half way between shots and I couldn't get it open or rotate it to the next shell to fire it. The specific details on how I finally got it out I can't remember (this was back in 2006, 2007), but it took about 45 minutes.

It really ruined me on Taurus and revolvers of all types. I'd rather have to deal with a semi-auto pistol's jam anyday of the week. The only reason I bought it was because supposedly revolvers don't jam and are more reliable than semis. I sold it as soon as possible.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #62
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

TCP .380

I've shot a Taurus tcp alot. It consistently ejects cases into the shooters face.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:20 AM   #63
eldermike

NDking, I am not trying to sell Tarurus by any means. However, this past weekend I had to open a S/W 686 for a person at the range. I did this because there were unfired rounds in the weapon and I did not like the way this person was attempting to free the cylinder. Note: There were some recalls on some of these models some years back.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:23 AM   #64
94bluerat

I occasionally shoot a 709. It was having feed issues. We called Taurus, they said "send it in". We suggested it was a magazine issue. They said OK and mailed out a new mag.

No issues since then.

The spring on the new mag is a little longer than the original.

Got no problems with them. Based on my experience their customer service was very good.

"your mileage may vary"

Cheers!

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout
Old February 5, 2013, 10:15 AM   #65
Scout

I have only one, a Tracker in .44 mag. When I bought it I had no ill feelings toward Taurus firearms as I had never owned one. This particular revolver has worked well so far, but I've only put about 250 rounds through it.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Skans

Had a PT99. Locking block shattered. This wouldn't have been a catastrophic failure, except the design of the gun doesn't lend itself to getting it apart when this happens. When my locking block broke, it acted like it was just "jammed". So, in the process of trying to get the slide back the schards of steel wedged their way between the slide and the soft aluminum rails. Getting the gun apart gouged up the soft aluminum rails pretty badly, but still serviceable. I had to have a gunsmith get it apart and fit a new locking block to it. The replacement locking blocks from Taurus looked like cheap cast parts

Years later, Taurus admitted there was a problem with the locking blocks and stated the "fix" for this is to cut the barrel in sections so as to get the gun apart when this happens. So, my opinion is that its just not a good design.

Last edited by Skans; February 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #67
Single Six

I've owned several Taurus PT series pistols, and the only reason I don't still have them is because I didn't take Cheapshooter's advice. Still, I found them to be wonderfully reliable pieces; no complaints here. Now then, if you want to talk about pistols I've found to be unreliable and would never buy, pull up a chair and let's talk about Sigs.......
Old February 5, 2013, 11:26 AM   #68
coop2564

I've got 3 and all are good guns.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #69
ndking1126

Quote:
I had to open a S/W 686
eldermike,

yeah, I figured Taurus couldn't be the only revolver that suffer from this malfunction. I wasn't aware of any recalls, maybe mine was one that was recalled? Either way, the pistol is long gone. You're story seems to validate my dislike for revolvers all together.

I pulled up Taurus's website and what I had was exactly like their 608, although I don't know if that's the same model I had.. 8 shot, ported, rubber grips, stainless. I also found an older post of mine saying how I liked it based on my experience up to that point, haha.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:53 PM   #70
jasmith85

The only thing from Taurus that I've owned was a Rossi 357 snubby. I only put a few hundred rounds through it the entire time I had it but it functioned perfectly and was very accurate for a gun its size.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:11 PM   #71
rodfac

Never owned one...but spent several afternoons here on our farm with friends who tried out their new "Judges". All three had triggers that a gorilla would have trouble pulling, but were good enough to keep the .45 Colts on a piece of copy paper at 21 feet...and that's good enough for across the bedroom shots, so long as you had strong hands to pull that abominable trigger. Accuracy was something else however.....

As I've stated here before, the Federal brand buckshot loads failed to penetrate soft poplar fencing material...at 21 feet...I wonder how they'd perform on a well dressed intruder. The .45's did much better, fully penetrating and leaving those really big holes...the trouble was that they'd managed to key-hole at 21 feet! It was a palm sized group at that distance with me doing the shooting so I can't lay it off to an inexperienced shooter....

I'd not buy a Taurus based on the examples I've seen in person, nor for the lack of customer service reported here and elsewhere on the net.

Finally, one poster here reported that Remington is now owned by the Taurus people....hope to gosh that's not true....

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 5, 2013, 05:29 PM   #72
Cheapshooter

Rodfac, I have to say at 21 feet, or for me more correctly 30 feet because the range I usually shoot at has the closest target stand at 10 yards, my PD Poly keeps Winchester Silvertip 45 Colt rounds in a small coffee cup lid sized group. And makes nice round holes doing it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 5, 2013, 05:44 PM   #73
oldgunsmith

Every now and then a security guard shows up to qualify with a Taurus. No major Police Dept. I know of allows them on duty. They've seen too many of them on the range. Hard to be specific. Everything from sights falling apart to revolvers worn out of acceptable time in less than 600 rounds.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:01 PM   #74
ET.

I've owned 4:

1/ PT111 Mil Pro...Never had a problem in 4 years with some 3000 rounds.
2/ Judge Ultra-Lite...No problems in 3 years
3/ PT1911 9mm...Wife's range gun. Only ftf's when I get lazy and don't clean it after 2 or 3 range trips.
4/ PT738 TCP...One of the first runs of this model that were known for ftf problems. Mine has been jambing for about a year. I'm just too lazy to call Taurus and get it fixed. I don't carry it anyway.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:01 AM   #75
Niner4Tango

I like the Taurus "J-frames" ok. But I totally agree with aarondhgraham in post 28. I do trust this one, though (650 CIA, 357 mag):