The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Edward429451

Picture Posting

I like gun pictures, we all do. The only thing better than a good gun picture is a gun picture that...(wait for it, wait for it...) fits the page.

I see a very lot of gunpics that when posted brake up the continuity of the page. They are posted so large that one must scroll back and forth sideways to read the following posts.

May I suggest to forum members that want to post pics of their gun to size the darn pics down a little so that it fits the page? I'm not computer savvy but I can size a picture. There is tons of software that allows you to size the pics down to a more manageable size and then it will not distort the page size and make people scroll sideways to see it or to read the rest of the thread.

Please size your pictures down some before posting them. It's not hard and helps the readability of thread very much. Thank you.
Old November 16, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
nate45

1000x1000 pixels should be about max.

Not everyone is good with photos though, some are just starting out. Photo editing programs have a resizing function though and popular photo hosting sites have editing options if one doesn't own their own.

For example the pic below, I just now laid my S&W Model 29-2 down on my range bag and snapped a pic with my cell phone. I uploaded it to photobucket, cropped it, resized it and hit auto fix. Its not great, but considering it was with a cell phone, bad lighting, a bad background color and took less than 5 min, its okay. Its certainly better than if I had left it huge and unedited.

Old November 16, 2012, 02:13 PM   #3
weblance

One of the easiest ways to resize a pic, is to download "Image Resizer" from Microsoft. Its for a Wndows computer, and all you have to do is hover over your pic, and right click, when the Image Resizer box opens, you have 4 options for size, Small, Medium, Large, and Custom. Its very simple. I agree with the OP, I hate when pics are so huge that you have to scroll side to side. I resize all my pics to 800 x 600.

Old November 16, 2012, 03:48 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
1000x1000 pixels should be about max.

Not everyone is good with photos though, some are just starting out. Photo editing programs have a resizing function though and popular photo hosting sites have editing options if one doesn't own their own.
800x600 is a fairly universal standard for large images on discussion forums (and 800 is TFL's maximum for uploads). Anything larger than that is fairly obnoxious, unless the additional size is being used to show extreme detail. (Even then, 1024 pixels should be the maximum width used, and cropping to 800 is still preferred.)

For most purposes on TFL, a width of 600 or 640 pixels is more than enough.

Coincidentally, widths of 480, 600, 640, and 800 pixels are usually standard options on image hosting sites. They make it easy to just copy the link corresponding to the size wanted.

Just keep in mind that even if you run high resolution on your own monitor, other people may not. Some people, like me, might be running at resolution like 2560x1440 or 2560x1600; but it's still more common for people to be running 1280x720, 1024x768, or even 800x600. With the lower resolution, large pictures can't even be viewed in their entirety without scrolling around in the browser window.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
nate45

True, that is the default size. Important not to forget individual resolution differences.

I have ones that are a little too big then, for lower resolution monitors. Like the one below. Since my browser was on 120-150% magnification with 1280x720 monitor, I thought they would all look okay. Its easy to make them smaller though.

It took no time at all to crop and resize the photo above.

Its blurry and not great. I'm getting a new camera though, my eight year old 12 megapixel went out. I can get a better new camera for half what the old one cost. Technology is good at that.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Crankgrinder

i downloaded gimp and use it for now to resize my pics. Not wanting to hijack, but since this is a thread about gun pics, how does one make their gun pic pop up in the thread without having to be clicked on such as those seen above?
Old November 16, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
weblance

The pic has to be on an image hosting site... like Photobucket. Once there... there is an image code associated with each pic. Copy and paste the [IMG] code into your message... and your pic will show.
Old November 16, 2012, 07:50 PM   #8
nate45

With a direct link.

Use the little yellow square icon with the two mountain peaks and sun, its left of the quote icon. Then insert the image address. I used the paper clip icon to upload the screen shot above, then attach it to my post. Then you can preview your post and click on the attached image link, it opens in another window, then copy the URL and use the yellow image icon. Paste in the address and voila, your image appears in the post.

Here is a video of how I do it without photobucket, like the image above.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 26.png (63.3 KB, 84 views)
Old November 17, 2012, 12:00 AM   #9
DaleA

Thanks for the info Nate45.

For anybody that is just getting the white box with a red x in it right after Nate's comment "With a direct link." You do have to be logged into the forum to see it. If you're just browsing through the forum without logging in then (shrug) you won't get to see the good stuff.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:41 AM   #10
nate45

All the pics I posted look okay on my old phone. I can see the screen shot I posted where the attachment link is and watch the video link I posted. That screen video isn't that great, but I hastily made it last Jan to help a fellow member out.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 17, 2012, 11:38 AM   #11
psyfly

Also, a cool feature of the forum software:

Once you upload an image you can use it again simply by going to User CP and selecting Attachments.

W
Old November 17, 2012, 01:03 PM   #12
alex0535

I usually just upload on tinypic, but any photo hosting service works.

I select the option to re-size to 640x480, which is considered appropriate for message boards.

I started doing this when images i posted were so gigantic that it broke the continuity of the page.