The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
bamaranger

.44 mag brass........done for?

I've been shooting my Mtn Revolver a bit lately, and loading ammo for same.

Got into the archives of brass, and started turning up cases that, once sized and prepped, and a slug seated, will allow a jacketed bullet to slip to deep. ie, take a case with seated bullet and pinch length wise between thumb and forefinger, and the slug slides deeper in the case. A lead slug will still seat properly, or seem to. I typically load lead slugs at 3/4 power, the Mtn revolver is a bit spunky otherwise. On a lark I loaded up some jacketed slugs and started finding the problem.

Obviously these cases are on their last legs. And I can't attest to the number of times they've been reloaded, their mixed and from assorted sources. Did they just hit their lifespan?

Its a pain in the neck on the bench, about 1 in 10 will need pulled.
Old November 20, 2011, 01:09 PM   #2
kraigwy

Sounds to me like someone needs to get a new resizing die.

One that fits your bullets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 20, 2011, 01:26 PM   #3
243winxb

The difference is in case wall thickness between brands. Jacketed bullets come in 3 sizes .429" ..4295" & .430" Lead is .430" Check your expander button, it should measure .002" smaller than bullet diameter. A tighter sizing die & the correct diameter expanded can fix this.Neck tension is what holds the bullets, not so much the crimp.
Old November 20, 2011, 01:48 PM   #4
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243winxb
Check your expander button, it should measure .002" smaller than bullet diameter. A tighter sizing die & the correct diameter expanded can fix this.
That's odd, my .44 dies don't have an expander button, just a straight decapping rod. Nor my .38/.357 dies, nor yet my .45 dies. I don't think that straight wall pistol dies have an expander button.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 20, 2011, 02:00 PM   #5
mrawesome22

I have had this problem with fc brass.

No expander ball. You should have a size, flare, and seater/crimp die.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:13 PM   #6
floydster

No expander button here either
Old November 20, 2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Jerry45

Sounds like a crimping problem to me. Not enough or too much roll crimp can cause the problem you’re having. When changing bullet weights and especially when going from lead to jacketed and visa versa the crimping die “usually” needs to be readjusted. If you’re not crimping when using jacketed bullets that’s the problem.

Last edited by Jerry45; November 20, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old November 20, 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
GP100man

Scrounger !!!!

It`s work hardened & springing back after sizing !!!!

Throw brass AWAY that`s not split yet ????? NEVER !!!!

I anneal it (PITA) but do it & use it in the plinking ammo

Funny , most people think ya gotta turn colors on brass but ya don`t ,just make sure it hits the magic temp !

Take a few & try it , ya may find new life in those hardened cases

I`ve done this with 357 & 44 brass .

Last edited by GP100man; November 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelin
Old November 20, 2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Sport45

Not a button, but all my pistol dies have a powder-through-expander arrangemeny of some sort or another. It's the powder funnel under the dillon measure and the expanding die on the others. How else to you get the flare to prevent shaving when seating lead bullets?

If the flaring die is too big for the bullet you loose neck tension in a big way.
Old November 21, 2011, 02:11 AM   #10
bamaranger

more

Got nothing to do with crimping. I seat and crimp in separate operations....backing the die off to seat, then backing off the seater stem and setting the crimp in a separate step.

Went and checked the last small batch I did before making this post. All the cases involved in the problem were R-P's. Hmmmmm!

When loading for jacketed bullets in the future (for my carbines, typically I only shoot 3/4 power lead in the Mtn Rev) I will first sort out all R-P cases.

RE a new sizer......could I have actually "worn out" a carbide sizing die?
Old November 21, 2011, 07:01 AM   #11
GP100man

Yep

R-P brass is known for having weird alloy problems , I had a lot that after reloading them I put em on the shelf .

Fastforward a couple-a-3 yrs. ,went to shoot some ,grabbed the stored ammo & to my suprise some were split without even being fired

Those were early in my handloading career & were loaded with Hornady .430 240gr. JSP .

But on the flip side in Remingtons defense I have some 44 brass that has been loaded many times over & shows NO signs of work hardening !!!
Old November 21, 2011, 09:49 AM   #12
Sevens

He's not talking about the sizing die when he says expander button, he's talking about the second die in a three die set, the one that flares the case mouth to accept a bullet. "Expander button" is a term typically reserved for a bottle neck rifle die.

And no, this has nothing to do with crimp. As bamaranger said, this has nothing to do with crimping and cannot be solved by crimping. Trying to solve this by crimping is not only missing the problem, it's creating a new problem and applying a false remedy.

It's either a brass issue or a problem with loose tolerances on the sizing die. It would be exacerbated if his jacketed bullets are on the slim side.

I've experienced the same thing with 10mm brass (R-P nickel) and slim jacketed bullets (Nosler 150 grain JHPs) and the combination of the two results in little to no case mouth tension. In a self-loading pistol, it's an absolute recipe for disaster. In a large caliber revolver, it's asking for a gun with a cylinder locked up after the first shot... or worse.

How I addressed the problem: I used up my supply of Nosler 150s and I now relegate the nickel R-P 10mm mostly for use with cast bullets, which are by their vary nature a thousandth larger in diameter. For this they continue to work and any that don't get culled and recycled.
Old November 21, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
briandg

Bama, you still haven't answered regarding your second of 3 dies, the expander die.

What dies are you using? Was it previously owned? Didn't it come with a couple other expander plugs and seating stems maybe?
Old November 21, 2011, 09:58 AM   #14
243winxb

Low Neck Tension = Thin Walled Brass

Quote:
RE a new sizer......could I have actually "worn out" a carbide sizing die?
No, some brass (Remington) has thin walls as said above. And for the funny guys with no expander, you would have a powder-through-expander as said above.
Old November 21, 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
bamaranger

dies

My dies are RCBS-3 die set, I am the original owner, buying them new some 25-30 yrs ago.

I am nearly certain at this point, I have a brass / case issue, primarlily because of the wide mix of brass, age-origin speaking, that I am using.

What I will do, henceforth, is to purchase a quantity of new .44 mag brass, keep them separate from my old brass, and use the new stuff solely for jacketed carbine loads.
Old November 21, 2011, 03:57 PM   #16
black mamba

For reference, the Speer and Nosler .44 jacketed bullets are .429", the Sierra are .4295", and the Hornady are .430". Using the Hornadys could solve your problem right there. Just sayin . . .
Old November 22, 2011, 12:44 AM   #17
FM12

I had the same problem with a bunch of RP brass in 45 acp years ago. Wont hold the sizeing dimension , too springy I guess.
Old November 22, 2011, 01:03 AM   #18
WESHOOT2

I have worn out both cases and dies.

But I still have a few thousand new 44 Mag cases layin' around here somewhere.
Old November 22, 2011, 02:16 AM   #19
Sport45

See if the bullets easily slip into the cases after sizing (without expanding / flaring them). If they do, you need a new sizer or thicker walled brass. If they don't you could try sanding off a little of the expander's OD to get more neck tension.
Old November 22, 2011, 07:50 AM   #20
PawPaw

One alternative to using a powder-thru expanding die is a little die made by Lee, the Universal Case Expanding Die. This thing only flares the case mouth to accept cast bullets. It doesn't extend down into what we're calling the "neck", only puts a gentle flare on the very mouth of the case. I use it when I'm loading cast bullets in bottlenecked rifle cases to prevent lead shaving. Depending on how you set-up the die, it is useful for everything from .22 Hornet thru .45-70. It's a very versatile tool.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com