The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2011, 09:31 PM   #26
Cheapshooter

You might win the lottery, or get struck by lightning too!

If this is the scenario you fear, why not an AR, so you have even more range?
The OP has already said he want's to cram as many AK47's as he can in his truck.
Quote:
i can have 100 fully loaded ak47s in my truck. or more if i could figure out how to fit em in there.
I know it's just a silly exageration to make a point, but does he have any idea how "Mall Ninja" he is starting to sound!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 11, 2011, 09:36 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Cheap, you asked and I gave one possibility... Sure I could win the lottery... but I have been shot at more times than I won $50 or more...

As for why a shotgun rather than the rifle with more range? Simple, the preponderance of use would likely be closer in. The shotgun is quicker to accurately use in closer than a rifle is. But it has the ability to reach out if needed.

But this is my opinion on the subject and not that of the OP...

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 09:44 PM   #28
rantingredneck

Quote:
the reviews at midway seem to like the remington and federal 3" 00 buckshot with a whopping 15 pellets per shot for dropping deer at 50+ yards.
I'd wager that many folks posting those reviews on Midway don't know the difference between 50 yards and 50 feet.............but that's another issue.

Really and truly, more pellets is no substitute for a better patterning load. When your pattern is larger than the torso of your target where are the stray pellets gonna go? A good question, that you don't want resolved by random chance and a jury of your peers. Round lead balls also tend to bounce and ricochet easily off of flat hard surfaces like vehicle bodies, brick walls, etc (thus increasing the odds of your fate being resolved by random chance and a jury of your peers).

Check www.ammunitiontogo.com or www.ammoman.com for Federal LE12700 flite control buckshot. It's probably actually cheaper than the 15 pellet load you're considering or at least as cheap and both online retailers offer excellent customer service and fast shipping. If they don't have it in stock now, keep checking back. It's a fairly regular item at both.

Once you get outside the range where even the flite control wad is effective at keeping a good pattern, slugs...........that's sorta why they were invented........

Stay safe.....

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 11, 2011, 09:48 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Yea, I know the crazed gunman thin could happen, but with about the same possibility as my examples. Lots more up close, and personal threats to worry about. Don't know though about the OP, Maybe Cajun country gets wilder than any of us know!
Legality's aside, I don't think a shotgun with buckshot would be that effective at the ranges he stated. "30 yards, or 50 would be even better". Those little round balls don't have much of a ballistic coefficient, and loose a lot quick!
Old September 11, 2011, 10:03 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Many a deer have dropped in their tracks at those distances... Now a drugged up 300 pond feller in thick clothing may laugh it off...

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 10:14 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Many a deer have dropped in their tracks at those distances.
Not being legal for deer in Missouri, I had no idea it would be that effective to those ranges. I always thought it was an under 30 yds load.
Old September 11, 2011, 10:27 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would use 50 as my max distance with 00 but know many guys who routinely shoot them at 50 yards.

You can see how effective they are down here where runnin' deer dogs is legal and common... Not many deer are standing still when shot in front of dogs...

Brent
Old September 11, 2011, 11:07 PM   #33
Cheapshooter

Doesn't sound like a place for my 7 Mag! With that, we'll let this thread get back to the OP's question.