The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2017, 07:35 AM   #1
wildwings

Any water Fowler’s ?

How many you waterfowl hunt?
Old October 29, 2017, 09:26 AM   #2
MarkCO

I do. Mostly Geese as CO ducks taste like pond scum. But Teal will still ure me back every few years.

We shoot snows, but that is not as much hunting as just denting the numbers. Boys shot 14 in 10 seconds last year.
Old October 29, 2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Blindstitch

I've been trying to get into it or understand it better for the last year. Use to hunt geese over cut fields but this duck hunting is a new fun confusion. Friday when I went out I managed to get 4 coots, lost a fifth when I shot and it dived (never came up), and got a bonus pheasant when I got to shore.

All the ducks were out of range about 50 yards at the closest.
Old October 29, 2017, 10:58 AM   #4
wildwings

It is a very addictive type hunting for sure. Nothing else seems to compare
to duck hunting for me these days.
Old October 29, 2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Bayoubulldog

Ive been learning over the past few years. I love it. Social, active and overall just different from any hunting I've done before.

Wish I could find a few guys locally that would be willing to show me the ropes a bit more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2017, 11:31 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...ducks taste like pond scum..." Depends on the duck. The ones that eat fish taste worse than pond scum. Migratory bird hunting starts too early in the morning and it's at its bet when the weather is crappy. Upland bird hunting is far more civilised. snicker.
Old October 29, 2017, 11:56 AM   #7
MarkCO

Every duck I have shot in CO tastes like pond scum. The ducks I have shot in Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama tasted much better.

I do much prefer a good Pheasant hunt (for taste and sport).
Old October 30, 2017, 04:39 AM   #8
Blindstitch

If scummy duck taste gets to you cut it in chunks and wrap it in bacon. If people can make tofu taste good there's a way to make any meat edible.

I think a lot of taste is hearsay. I once heard a group of guys calling geese skycarp because they were only good to shoot and dump in the ditch. They're also the type of people who say every meat is GAMIE. Give them a Black Angus T-bone steak and tell them it's deer and all of a sudden it's GAMIE.

Now if only I could find out why the say Crane is Ribeye in the sky. Wisconsin won't let me shoot one but I know Kentucky will.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:18 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

I don't get to duck hunt nearly as often as I'd like, but there's nothing quite like sunrise in the duck woods.
Old October 30, 2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Roaddog

I quit when they sead I could nolonger use lead shot.I will not shoot steal or subs.
Old October 30, 2017, 07:02 AM   #11
Lohman446

I haven't duck hunted in many years. One of my best memories was me and a teenage friend 20 some years ago hunting with steel shot on the marsh outside of town. We couldn't keep the decoys down and there were whitecaps on the small and shallow marsh - it was WINDY.

We had to paddle the canoe to the hill below the sporting goods store to go get more ammo at one point. We went through 100+ rounds and never hit a duck. You could watch your shot cloud "bend" in the wind.

Obviously I have had far more successful duck hunts. Its a social activity.
Old October 30, 2017, 07:25 AM   #12
Old Stony

Did it for many years and loved working with my Labrador. An occasional duck breast over charcoal with some bbq sauce wasn't too bad, but did prefer the pheasant. Luckily I had a friend that loved duck and I dumped a lot of them on his porch.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:42 AM   #13
MarkCO

Blndstitch, about 90% of the meat we eat is game we shoot.

Sandhills are very good, better than Dove. Shot 40 in about 15 minutes one year. I was tired after cleaning, but they were worth it.
Old October 30, 2017, 10:54 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Having a creek on my property. Jump shooting comes unexpected when out & about along the edge of my creek. I miss more water foul than get. Prefer wood ducks and mallards for the table.

Blue & Green wing teal late in the season along with Canadian geese are known to settle down late in the day on the creek. Very observant both species are do too being shot at throughout the day.
Seldom see Snow geese. But I do hear them occasionally high above my cabin.

Tote a Iver Johnson singe barrel 410 for my unland birds >partridge & sharp tail grouse taken in and around the same area. But when intending to do some sneaky pete along the creek jump shooting on water foul. I use a plain jane Citori 20 ga. Grand Lighting only because my 410s barrel wasn't made to shoot Steel Shot safely.

Frankly: its pleasurable to have different hunts available on the same property. Missing all those different species of animals & birds {quite often.}
Keeps me loose and limber well past the New Year.
Old October 30, 2017, 01:38 PM   #15
AllenJ

I love to waterfowl hunt, been doing it very seriously since 97. With the drought here in the west I did not get out nearly as much as I wanted for a few years but last years rains were great. Very much looking forward to getting out again this year.
Old October 31, 2017, 05:05 PM   #16
Rifletom

What T. O'Heir said[post #6].
Old October 31, 2017, 07:59 PM   #17
Buzzcook

Where you hunt determines how the birds taste. If those geese or ducks are eating grain they taste better than store bought.

I don't hunt for birds anymore because i don't have anyone to go with. For some reason I don't mind sitting by myself waiting for a deer, but birds are supposed to be a shared experience.
Old November 1, 2017, 06:55 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Upland bird hunting is far more civilised.
Agreed. I'll leave the waterfowling to other people. Geese taste OK and might be worth shooting. But ducks?? Rather eat at McDonald's than eat ducks. Besides, getting up just after midnight to drive 2 hrs to hunt and set decoys in the dark and rain isn't my idea of a good time. Pheasant is better, no early mornings, no swamps, and I would rather watch upland dogs work than watch dripping wet labs anyways.
Old November 1, 2017, 08:55 PM   #19
lefteye

I enjoyed waterfowl hunting for many years. It was never easy and often very uncomfortable. Waterfowl rank near the bottom of my food chain. Oh, and I don't mind my two labs, chocolate and white, dripping water outside our home.