The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1
plom

24" barrel for Home défense?

Today, I got a benelli montefeltro comfortech 12ga with a 24" barrel. Where I live, 24" is the minimum length allowed. Is 24" too long for a home defense shotgun?
Old October 25, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
RedBowTies88

I use a 26"
Old October 25, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
scottd913

24"is just fine.mine is 18" but 24 is fine.

just learn proper techniques with it.

practice moving around your house with it (unloaded)!
remimber barrel pointed downward is preferd to pointing upward!

move from room to room and clearing each room.

develop a plan with your family. knowing your equipment is the key.

if you do not understand seek professional help with home defense!

as with all firearms safety is always first and most important.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:11 AM   #4
idek

I think it really depends on your HD strategy. I for one would not go around clearing rooms with any gun. I would have a safe room that I would hole up in while I waited to police to arrive. So if I'm just keeping the gun pointed at the one door an intruder could enter the room through, I don't think it matters if the barrel is 18" or 30"

If I planned to take a more offensive approach, I'd be more concerned about barrel length.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Sport45

24" is fine.

Unless you are trained in house clearing and have a buddy or three backing you up, I believe your chances of surviving an actual encounter with armed assailants in your home is best if you hunker down and let them come to you. Personally, I will have a king size bed between me and the bedroom door I'll be covering with a 12 gauge. The wife will be on the floor beside me talking to the 911 operator using her cell phone.
Old October 26, 2012, 06:47 AM   #6
jmr40

I have a 24" M-1. I'd prefer about 20", don't really like the real short 18.5" versions that are so popular, but can make 24" work. Since that is the minimum legal length where you live you don't really have another option.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Slopemeno

Actually, a 24" with choke tubes might be the best of both worlds- long enough to work in the game field, and short enough for home defense.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #8
scottd913

I believe your chances of surviving an actual encounter with armed assailants in your home is best if you hunker down and let them come to you.

sure put alot of faith in your local law enforcement and don't worry about clearing your own house...how did that work our for the people in New Orleans after Catrina. what if your children aren't in the same room as you and your wife? with so many houses set up where the master bed room is away from the other rooms you must ask your self do you want to hunker down and hope the police get to the bad guys before the bg realizes that your children or your mother-in-law makes a good bargaining chip? sure hunker down if you wish ...but you better darn well learn how and what and when to clear your own ... or mentally prepare your self to lose what you have!!
Old October 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
BlackWorksInc

While a 24" barrel is on the long side for CQB, if you practice with the weapon and become familiar in handling it, it shouldn't be an issue. Like many have said there are multiple strategies to HD. I personally believe that you should be practicing with your weapon and becoming familiar with using it in various situations anyways if you plan on using the gun for more than just target shooting.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:05 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Scott, While there are many scenarios where a bg could take a house member located in aother part of the home hostage, you aren't doing anyone any good if you are shot or taken while attempting to clear rooms. The very act of doing so might place those loved ones at the far end of the house at greater risk. As long as you are well armed and in a good position, that bg is likely to think hard about getting away with his whole skin, before police can arrive. You may be right, but that is my thought.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:47 PM   #11
Slopemeno

Well put, Klawman.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
BLUETIP

W

A friend of ours (wife and i) was woken by his wife late one night, "there's someone in here" she said nudging him out of bed. My buddy goes an easy 350# and is maybe 5'6'' tall. He grabbed his 30'' barrel single shot 12ga and proceeds to have a peak. As he went from the hall towards the kitchen he must have, in his groggy condition, let the gun go horizontal. The doorway was to narrow it caught on both sides and made a horseshoe out of it. Broke the receiver. Turned out the cat knocked something over.