The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2002, 01:53 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

card gun?

Picked up a (mumble) gun rag several years bak - looking for some infomation regarding turkey hunting & ran across an article about "card guns."

Seemingly, there's a sport that's main ideal is to get a shotgun to pattern extremely tight & take out the center of a lpaying card at (mumbel) range/s.

As I recall (cannot find the magazine for the life of me), they were using ~#8 shot & getting patterns of around 1-1/2" at 25 yards or so.

Anyone with anything on this?
Old January 12, 2002, 02:37 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Early Herter's shot cups would give patterns like that unless you slit em before loadin em.

Sam
Old January 13, 2002, 08:56 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It used to be a GOB could take his duck gun to a turkey shoot and have a chance at winning. Some folks used Model 12s or the Winchester(Not Ithaca) model 37 single. In days long gone by, a few hams and so on followed me home once in a great while. Not so now....

The same sort of thinking that turned IPSC into a techno game went to work. Now, bbls are fabricated from Steel tubing, scopes are mandatory, and the whole thing is kinda like Benchrest, with lots of humorless, win at all costs folks out to win. And like IPSC, the guns are darn near useless for anything else.

Be that as it may, some of the best research ever done on patterns, chokes, and interior dimensions are a result of this fascination, kinda like the way cars have been improved by NASCAR and Indy racing.
Old January 13, 2002, 12:30 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Kinda what I figured - seems VERY specialized, but with the attendant research that goes into making one-a these shooters into what they are.

BTW, this article was a spin-off from those on turkey hunting, titled something along the lines of, "you think you have a tight pattern!"
Old January 13, 2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Last card shoot I went to was a while back. One shooter displayed a 30 yard card with just the corners left. He admitted it was a fluke, but the other cards showed a VERY tight core also.

BTW, typically the load used is a Federal specialized one, 7/8 oz of 8s in a paper case. Velocity is way down there too, which aids keeping the shot together.