The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 13, 2017, 09:49 PM   #1
mihogan

Using a carry handle AR sight - RIBZ

Hi guys. So I adjusted my new AR rifle (Smith and Wesson M&P) to the RIBZ, as shown here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/3...ight_Zero.html

Anyway it calls for sighting to zero at 100 yards 3 clicks south of the 6/3 mark.

Unfortunately I am unable to sight in at 100 yds for a while... Lack of space. I do have 50 yards of space though, and apparently with this configuration, adjusting the elevation dial to 2 clicks south of 6/3 will put me at 50yds/200yds. Could I simply adjust the knob to the 50/200yd spot (-2) and zero at 50 yards? And then the sight will be zero'd for 100 yds when I switch back to -3 clicks?

Sorry if this is confusing. I am new to ARs and despite doing a lot of research I'm still pretty confused by how these carry iron sights work.

Thanks!
Old June 14, 2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Mobuck

My opinion is you're putting far too much thought into this. One click here or there isn't going to make a big diff at the ranges you're discussing. In fact "battle zero" only means you'll likely hit somewhere close to a large target at longer ranges anyway.
Adjust your sights to hit 1" low @ 50 yards and don't worry about it until you can shoot farther.
Old June 15, 2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

What you described will work fine, though of course it is always a good idea to confirm your zeros at the actual distance.

Of course if you aren't ever going to shoot past 300yds, then having the elevation wheel properly calibrated isn't much of an issue and you can zero it however you like.