The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2008, 04:52 AM   #1
rem870hunter

predator hunting

i'm thinking about doing some coyote and fox hunting. but before i do i have some questions.

1. we can only stand or still hunt them, which is recommended?
2. what kind of call should i use? i heard that a rabbit in distress is a very good one. mouth blown and possibly electronic can be used. would most likely get the mouth type unless they make a handheld/operated type too.
we can use shotgun during the night hours 10 ga & 12 ga. only with #4 fine -T shot. not really looking for 25.00 a box for 10 shells of dead coyote.
3. with the right shot placement (vitals) would #2 or BB be good enough?
4. no bait can be used, is there a scent that i can use in its place?

thanks
Old November 15, 2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Pick a spot, sit and call for a while to see who shows up. The wounded rabbit call works just fine, usually.

A coyote's final approach is mostly from downwind, so pick your spot with care, trying to force him in from crosswind if possible. And don't shine your light directly at him; shine a bit high so just the edge of the light makes his eyes shine. Direct light can make them spook.

FWIW, my only shotgun ruination of a predator was on a bobcat. About 25 yards. High brass Winchester 7-1/2 from a very full choke Model 12. DRT.
Old November 15, 2008, 12:58 PM   #3
jdscholer

I pretty much agree with what Art says. Depends on how big your country is, and how thick the cover is on how many stands you do; and how long you want to stay at them.
Quietly penetrate into a good looking spot without exposing yourselves, sit down, and call. Don't over call. Twenty or thirty minutes is about all ya need to wait before moving to another spot. Sit in spots where you can't see more than 50 yards or so, or you'll hardly get any within shotgun range - they'll see you first. BB shot works fine out to 35 yards or so, but #4 buck is my favorite. Use headnets.
If you have bobcats, wait longer and look closer. They're sneaky. jd
Old November 15, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
rem870hunter

what brand rabbit hurt/distress call do you recommend? should i get a mouse squeaker too?

i was just on cheaperthandirt.com, and there is several different brands and types listed for coyote/predator.
Old November 15, 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Are you a handy type fella? If so I have a linky to a home made MP3 format caller machine that is as good or better than those premade jobs. Over calling is the high crime in 'yote work. If daylight hunting add a squirrel tail to a survey type stake in a field. A piece of thin mono filament can be added to it to make it dance. I feel that if you use a rabbit sound, it has to be spot on... They KNOW what they sound like. But if you use distress calls of other critters you may well pique their interest via instinctual prey drive and if they do not KNOW the sound personally you may have room for a little less than perfectly accurate sound.
Good luck. While I am not a yote hunter, I have called them just for fun on and off since I was 8.
Brent
Old November 15, 2008, 10:11 PM   #6
rem870hunter

meaning i could load it on a portable player?

the regs for the hunt says that a predator calling device must be in possesion while hunting. doesn't say that i must use it. i plan on using a call if i got to have it with me.

i didn't read anything about no electronic calls. i'm going to contact the div of f &w here,to find out about the legal use of electronic calls.

i did see a listing on cheaper than dirt. its a 2 piece call,baby cottontail and jackrabbit coaxer for $10.47. item number 15959.
Old November 15, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7
ActivShootr

Check this out

www.coyotegods.com

Daryl, a member here, sent me that link when I inquired to him about predator hunting. Very good site.
Old November 15, 2008, 10:34 PM   #8
rem870hunter

thanks activ. looks very informative.
Old November 15, 2008, 11:37 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

Go here:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com...ubbthreads.php

A thousand times better. Make sure to check out the techpage and techniques (towards the top of the forum page).

LK
Old November 16, 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is the link to build your own e-caller.
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=20626
Portable MP3 player is part of it but essentially you are building your own electronic call machine that can do so much more..
Sdhandgunner is a LEO up in south dakota... He has made a few and I know of others that followed his instructions and all have been real happy with them.
As for the possession statement you quote, I am willing to bet that they are saying "If you use a call, you must have it in your possession, not remotely located or left in the woods." I may be wrong. As for E-callers, in florida it eis unlawful to use an e-caller on "GAME" animals. Bobcats and 'yotes are NOT "GAME" animals so it is legal to use one on those critters. Post a link to what you are reading so others can chime in and possibly clarify the wording.
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 06:41 PM   #11
rem870hunter

http://08-09smallgame_season
above is the link to what would be a quick rundown on the regs. for small game,coyote and fox hunting.
i tried to copy and paste the link to the page with more info. i can't get figured out. the site is www.njfishandwildlife.com. there is a way to open page 59 of the book but my computer can't find the proper path to do it.
Old November 16, 2008, 07:02 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I see it as they do not allow you to "hunt" the coyote... it must be called to you... So if you have a dead yote, you better also have a caller with you unless it was an incidental kill during deer season.
Brent
Old November 16, 2008, 07:41 PM   #13
rem870hunter

thats pretty much what it is. you can still and stand hunt, not stalk hunt them. you are allowed to shoot them during deer season, with bow,m/l rifle,or shotgun. its pretty much whatever deer hunting weapon you have in your possesion.

they have a special permit season which allows you to hunt with any of the 3 weapons i already mentioned. mid jan to mid feb permits are $2.00 each its the overnight hours that are restricted to shotguns 10ga and 12 ga, 3 shell max limit. no smaller than #4 fine but no larger than T shot only. the permit season is mainly what i'm looking to hunt.
Old November 17, 2008, 05:30 PM   #14
rem870hunter

i got a reply to the e mail i sent to the div of f&w. we can use electronic calls for fox,coyote,raccoon and crow.
Old November 17, 2008, 06:05 PM   #15
ƒORTE

Going to a 'yote call and shoot next wk out in KS. Can't wait. Good luck on your own.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
rem870hunter

went out late the 19th 11p-1am,and went from 7pm-1030pm last night. saw nothing so far,but heard a few things including another hunter calling (last night). turns out a few hunters are near my way, and do the night hunt. one does wildlife control for a living and is a member of predator masters. i got a call from him today we are going to try friday night,and maybe sat. will let you know how it went.
Old January 24, 2009, 11:50 PM   #17
BLS700

good luck. I recently got into hunting coyote and its addictive. Don't be afraid to hunt around dawn and dusk either. I've had some pretty decent success at these times. Also, I don't know if it was mentioned yet but a coyote howler saved me time since I knew pretty much where they were. Rabbit distress has been my go to call but a diaphram call can do the same.
Old January 25, 2009, 12:16 AM   #18
Swampghost

I'd hold back a year or so and when 'Fluffies' start disappearing from the back yards you may actually be welcomed. Well fed 'yotes can breed pretty fast.
Old January 25, 2009, 07:37 AM   #19
rem870hunter

went friday night 7-10:30. first area,first calling, nothing. first area after moving a few hundred yards called again. heard a few snaps in the brush but saw no eyes or anything. deer or 2 maybe. whatever it was it did'nt show itself.

we left and went to another area,first call, nothing, moved to another spot in the area, called, nothing. moved again to a final spot called with everything he had,electronic and several mouth blown. the guy i went with his last call was a coyoye howler, i had to hold back my laughter because when he let loose with that howler call,way out across the lake we were near a few spotlights came on and were shining all over,someone got spooked in the gravel pit that butts up to the lake.

even though nothing was seen,i still enjoyed that i went with someone with knowledge of predators,and they took the time to hunt with me,and set me up with the first shot at it oppurtunity. if you are reading this on here as well as the site we met on,again thank you very much.

i just got back from going out solo from 3a-6a, first area i went to was where i went friday, sat close to the first spot we sat and called from. when i paused during my first set of calling, i heard CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH behind me so i sat still for a few second,slowly turned my head so my lamp would shine that way,nothing there. called some more,whatever it was might have been coming on to me,and maybe got a whiff and realized what i was,and hauled outta there.

left there to try another area, called, waited heard and saw nothing left for a third area second set of calling in there i heard something moving slowly towards me in the brush,could not get any eyes to shine. no idea what it was. called some more,and still something was moving towards me i turned on my spotlight and slowly scanned, nothing. but my heart was racing because whatever it was, it sounded like it was right on top of me, and that there was no way i could'nt see it. but i could'nt see it.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:53 AM   #20
BLS700

Sorry you haven't had any luck yet but it sounds like you're having a good time. Like the saying goes a bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work.
Old January 25, 2009, 12:33 PM   #21
VaFisher

Quote:
went friday night 7-10:30. first area,first calling, nothing. first area after moving a few hundred yards called again. heard a few snaps in the brush but saw no eyes or anything. deer or 2 maybe. whatever it was it did'nt show itself.

we left and went to another area,first call, nothing, moved to another spot in the area, called, nothing. moved again to a final spot called with everything he had,electronic and several mouth blown. the guy i went with his last call was a coyoye howler, i had to hold back my laughter because when he let loose with that howler call,way out across the lake we were near a few spotlights came on and were shining all over,someone got spooked in the gravel pit that butts up to the lake.

even though nothing was seen,i still enjoyed that i went with someone with knowledge of predators,and they took the time to hunt with me,and set me up with the first shot at it oppurtunity. if you are reading this on here as well as the site we met on,again thank you very much.

i just got back from going out solo from 3a-6a, first area i went to was where i went friday, sat close to the first spot we sat and called from. when i paused during my first set of calling, i heard CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH behind me so i sat still for a few second,slowly turned my head so my lamp would shine that way,nothing there. called some more,whatever it was might have been coming on to me,and maybe got a whiff and realized what i was,and hauled outta there.

left there to try another area, called, waited heard and saw nothing left for a third area second set of calling in there i heard something moving slowly towards me in the brush,could not get any eyes to shine. no idea what it was. called some more,and still something was moving towards me i turned on my spotlight and slowly scanned, nothing. but my heart was racing because whatever it was, it sounded like it was right on top of me, and that there was no way i could'nt see it. but i could'nt see it.
I too am setting up to start hunting these crafty animals. From what I understand they normally try to get down wind sorta like a buck would if you had his interest. I had one good hunter express this and then express it again saying when you set up that it was more important to get in the right position to counter them coming down wind then it was to make a good call.
I feel sure it will take awhile before I get the hang of it here mostly we dont have that many around here yet but sounds like they multiply pretty quickly.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:12 PM   #22
texastweeter

I am a member of both predatormasters and coyotegods, bot of which are chock full of info. check us out.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:12 PM   #23
rem870hunter

i'm sure i'll bag one,just have to be patient. which i am being,my shot will come. and if it don't its a lesson for next year. i did learn a little bit more info on this earlier today.

its not a good idea to go to the same spots/areas day after day, night after night. they can and will get wise. trouble is the spots i went to may have been hunted the day or night right before i went in and i don't know unless i try.

if it gets too much pressure they may not come out or come out but hang up out of shotgun range at night. would have to setup in a different spot and or use different calling sounds. i was toying with the idea of going to areas i have not hunted them yet,to see if i get lucky there. but didn't yet i'm thinking of doing a daytime hunt and use my m/l. which i can use during the day for them.