The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1
adamc

Bore scope alignment tool for ruger 10/22 ?

Bore scope alignment tool for ruger 10/22 ?

A previous thread got me interested in a scope for my 10/22.
I saw a borescope tool($39) and a couple of scopes ( $75 and less to $36)
in wally, but
I have never had good luck with the cheap wally stuff

anything good but NOT a million $$$$ mybe useful in other guns as well would be a plus.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm lazy and cheap. For sighting in any semi-auto, I made a target from a scrap of 1/4" plywood and a 12" piece of 2x4. Nail the plywood to the end of the 2x4. For targets, I just use a Pentel and draw a horizontal line on a sheet of typing paper and three vertical lines. Masking tape holds the paper to the plywood.

I set up at ten yards and get centered and an inch or two low. It's pretty easy to get on the paper and then get a better alignment. Then, go to 25 yards and get centered. For any centerfire, then, at 100 yards I'm commonly around three inches high and within an inch or two of vertical center.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #3
wyobohunter

+1 Art- no need to bore sight. Just start your sight in session very close. It is cheaper to pop off a few extra .22 cartridges then to buy a dedicated tool. I do the same with all semi-autos. With the bolt guns I literally bore sight by mounting the gun to something, center the target in the bore and adjust the scope. That will easily get you on paper at 100 yds.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
sholling

A bore sight just gets you on paper without wasting ammo but 22, even match 22 is cheap.

As for scopes I strongly recommend investing in good quality scopes and you won't find one for less than $100. You'll also want to match the scope with intended use and for a hunting/plinking rifle a fixed 4x like a Weaver RV4 4x28 rimfire scope or a variable power RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire scope are excellent choices. Both offer good glass and rugged construction that should last you a lifetime. If your interests run more to target shooting than hunting then a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 is a decent if light duty scope to get started in target shooting for cheap (~$130) but the crosshairs are a tad thick.