The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
joeythefish

Reloading .45 ACP with Berry's Plated ...

Hey guys,

I've been reloading only about 2 months so I'm still a little wet behind the ears. For all the other rounds I reloaded I used Winchester 230 GR RN, Titegroup 4.7 GR, OAL 1.260" crimped .471". They worked fine, a little dirty but they fed, chambered and extracted like store bought or better. Okay the question I have is I've bought some Berry's 200 GR RS Flat Nose bullets. (250 of em') I can't find any idea what the OAL should be. I know that the rounds are tailored to my pistol, but there has to be a starting ground. Here is the only info I can find on their site: "Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads." No OAL, and the books I have I really can find a profile similar to this bullet. So any ideas?

Last edited by joeythefish; April 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old April 11, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
woodysan

LRN FT?

Joey, I just posted for the same response to Min OAL for 200 gr. LRN FT seating. I cannot find anything in my reloading manuals about RN FT bullets. I'll keep in touch. Woody
Old April 11, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Dave R

DISCLAIMER; this technique works for rifle rounds, but I can't vouch for it for pistol rounds.

You might try testing for OAL yourself. Set it long, drop it in the chamber and see if it falls straight down the rim. Or use a candle to blacken the bullet, then chamber it and see if you get rifling marks in the blacking. You have to know what to look for, of course. If you see rifling marks, seat a bit deeper and test again.

Reloading manuals will describe this process better.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
jfrey

This is me, and only for my loads, but I seat mine at 1.200 inches OAL. That is the Berry's 200 gr. round nose flat tip bullets. Some folks suggest you go a little longer at 1.230. You have to experiment a little and see if you have any feeding problems. This OAL works great in my pistols and mags.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:23 AM   #5
RickV

I load the same bullet. I use 4.8g Titegroup with a OAL of 1.170 they work fine. One way to check is to remove the barrel from your 45 and drop the loaded round in the barrel if it bottoms out decrease OAL until it drops in. The reason for the shorter length is with RN the tip extends into the barrel with the FN not much of the tip is in the barrel.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Thirties

Try this loading manual . . .

We all hear the advice: get and use multiple loading manuals

Here is an excellent one which, by the way, gives data on plated 200g SWC. But you should use even their COL as a starting point. and don't load plated bullets any where near the strong end of the jacketed bullet powder charge.

The manual i recommend: Accurate Smokeless Powders, No.2 -- get the one that you have to pay for, it has lots of good info in there for pistols, rifles and even pistol caliber rifles.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
The manual i recommend: Accurate Smokeless Powders, No.2 -- get the one that you have to pay for, it has lots of good info in there for pistols, rifles and even pistol caliber rifles.
Good info in this post.

For those that are newer to the ballgame, most reloading guides, manuals and manufacturer websites do not list data specifically for plated bullets. And finding info for cast lead is nearly as difficult.

My theory is that the plating thickness/hardness/sizing/makeup varies enough across brands that the folks who produce tested and published data are having a tough time keeping up, or perhaps they don't want to recognize the new cheaper plated bullet options.

My only non-professional opinion when it comes to trying to work up a load for a plated bullet when you have no starting point: Go closer to jacketed than to "wimp." Plated bullets are not something you want a too-light load with either, because they'll stick in a barrel much easier than will a cast lead bullet.

It's also my opinion that plated bullets are not a decent replacement for jacketed bullets. For my, plated bullets allow me to make ammo that's acceptable for indoor ranges where bare lead is not allowed due to the air handling system. If I'm not shooting indoors or specifically range testing a new load, I am NOT shooting plated, for the most part.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Thirties

I forgot to add in my message that this Accurate Arms manual does list loads for plated bullets in the .45 ACP section (Rainier).