The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 16, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1
grize

J. Stevens A&T *crackshot* .22

looking to see if anyone can help with some info on a .22 I just recieved. From what I've been able to find it looks like I have an early model 16 side lever, was wondering if anyone could tell me year of manufacture and est. value on this.

Thanks
Matt
Old October 16, 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First off, Stevens used that marking from 1886 to 1916. The side lever No. 16 crack shot was made from 1900-1913, but I know of no way to narrow down the date yours was made.

There is a serious collector interest in those old rifles, but they were made in such large numbers that only ones in top condition have any real value.

In new condition, a value guess would be in the $400-500 range; in good condition, $150. But most of those guns had the heck shot out of them by small boys and are in sad shape. If the gun is a family heirloom, its true, but non-monetary, value lies in that fact, not in its condition.

Jim
Old October 17, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
grize

Yeah, I know what you mean, the real value is in the story not the gun, wasn't looking to sell just trying to find out all I can on it, any idea where I can get more info on it? I realy would like to know more about it, I keep searching but I cant seem to find too much info on it.

Thanks
Matt
Old October 17, 2008, 06:27 PM   #4
PetahW

J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co made a "Crack Shot No. 16" rifle between 1900-1913 - and it was the first Stevens rifle to feature an automatic ejector.

(Remember, in those black powder/rough chamber days, most empties had to be pried out, so the auto eject was a biggie.)

The #16 is a take-down, w/a screw-attached forend & a short frame.
It was a rolling block w/o finger lever, with the removable barrel secured via an under-thumbscrew.

It's believed to be the first Stevens sporting a case-hardened frame, and a 20" round barrel was standard.
The stocks were walnut with a hard rubber BP, ILO the usual metal (at the time). Weight was 3 3/4 lbs.

Chamberings were .22 long rifle or .32 short rimfire, and the 1901 MSRP was $4.00

Old November 7, 2008, 01:25 PM   #5
TEDDY

stevens

I have one and the barrel is pita,but it shoots.every farm boy had one.if you shot squirrels at 5 cents a skin you could buy one and get a box of ammo to get more.