The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 1999, 11:47 AM   #1
gerben

hello group,
is it possible to use pistol powders in the ar15 carbine (barrel lenght 11.5 inch)caliber is 223.
much of the powder from factory ammo leaves the barrel unburned. how can i solve this ???
greetings gerben
Old July 1, 1999, 01:06 PM   #2
Paul B.

Gerban. I think using pistol powders in a .223 is not too good an idea. Even the loads for handguns taking the .223 round in the new Speer reloading manual #13 use rifle powders.
In the rifle section, they show some reduced loads, but I don't think that is what you are looking for.
In either case, pistol powders are very fast burning, and it would be very easy to get a double charge in the case without realizing it. Secondly, I seriously doubt they would function your gun.
With a barrel as short as you say you have, I'll bet the muzzle blast and flash are horrendous. Wish I could have been of more help. Sorry.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited July 01, 1999).]
Old July 1, 1999, 10:12 PM   #3
Rob62

I'll agree with Paul. I don't think it is possible to use any type of a pistol powder and still get the rifle to function. One can use pistol powders with cast bullets in the .223 but the muzzle velocity would be reduced and I'm not sure that I would shoot cast bullets through my AR. I'm not even sure that cast bullets with the pistol powders would cause the rifle to function.
Rob
Old July 2, 1999, 02:41 AM   #4
Kuiper

Using pistol powder in your .223 rounds is one way of getting rid of your AR real quick.

Not to mention the injury you might inflict on yourself.

Dont use pistol powder in a rifle cartridge.
Old July 3, 1999, 08:36 AM   #5
Quantrill

There are pistol powder reloads listed in a earlier Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook but they are for cast bullets and will not function the weapon.
Quantrill