The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Sarge

45 Colt: Missouri Bullet 255 SWC with HP38

For years, I've loaded the 250 RNFP as my standard 45 Colt load. It shot well and I reserved the 255 SWC for hotter loads. I'm getting lazy in my old age and I wanted to change up my standard load to the more efficient SWC and use it exclusively for just that; but I hadn't settled on a charge, just yet.

W231 is my go-to pistol powder and several sources indicated that 7.5 grains of the stuff was good for about 850 fps with the 255 SWC... One of those sources was John Taffin and he's used it in SAA's as well. A 'variation on a near-perfect theme' to quote him loosely. I figure John has probably shot more Colt SAA's than I'll ever get to coon-finger, so his word is good enough for me and I determined to try the load in my old Vaquero first. HP38 was available so I substituted it as interchangeable; my only concern was if it would shoot to the sights, which I've hammered & tonged to zero with RNFP's.

I needn't have worried... six shots at 25 yards, fired resting one elbow on an open car door. I think it will hunker them down when I shoot it from a proper rest.

Old April 30, 2013, 07:22 AM   #2
rodfac

I like Win 231 or HP38 as well, Sarge. They're interchangeable according to several dealers I've spoken with and that's been confirmed by my chrono readings for identical charges.

In .45 Colt, I've had very good results with 7.2 gr of Win 231 with Missouri Bullet's 250 gr "Cowboy" LBT and a good, solid roll crimp; as well as my own cast Lyman 454190 (WW alloy). Winchester caps and R-P brass complete the ensemble. The last time I checked 7.2 gr was the Max load listed on Hodgen's site. I've chrono'd that prescription though my NV with a 4-5/8" barrel at 829 fps for six shots average. Extreme spread was 60, but it shot beautifully...grps vary from 1-1/2" to 2" at 25 yds from a rest, depending on how well my 67 yo eyes are doing. I've not tried Taffin's 7.5 gr load however.

I long ago settled on those two powders for 99% of my light to medium hand gun loads: everything from .32 Long to the .45's shoot well with them. They meter much better than Bullseye or Unique, and accuracy is superb. However when the big panic hit several months ago, I bought an 8 pounder of WST Winchester as a backup...I've worked up loads for several calibers with it, with equally pleasing results. Gotta be diversified in today's fickle world.

Good shootin' on that door-rest target, BTW.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Sarge

My bad- wrong forum. Thanks for moving it guys.

Quote:
In .45 Colt, I've had very good results with 7.2 gr of Win 231 with Missouri Bullet's 250 gr "Cowboy" LBT and a good, solid roll crimp; as well as my own cast Lyman 454190 (WW alloy). Winchester caps and R-P brass complete the ensemble. The last time I checked 7.2 gr was the Max load listed on Hodgen's site. I've chrono'd that prescription though my NV with a 4-5/8" barrel at 829 fps for six shots average. Extreme spread was 60, but it shot beautifully...grps vary from 1-1/2" to 2" at 25 yds from a rest, depending on how well my 67 yo eyes are doing.
I couldn't agree more on that 7.2 grain load, Rod. That's the standard this SWC load will be judged against.

Last edited by Sarge; April 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old May 1, 2013, 01:20 AM   #4
ljnowell

My 45colt plinker load uses that same 255 lswc from Missouri Bullet loaded over 6.5gr of 700x. Its technicallu over published max, bit its a very light load, specifically when shot out of my blackhawk. Those bullets have great potential for accuracy.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Sarge

I ran six of these loads across the BetaMaster this morning, intentionally selecting a hodge-podge of casings from the batch of reloads. After all, that’s exactly how they’re going to be used- by the handful, six at a time. Average velocity was 857 fps with an extreme spread of 51. I can live with those numbers just fine.