The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Mauser8mm

What was your first gun?

What was your first gun ever? Post some pictures if you can!!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 7, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
grizz223

Savage made Lee/Enfield No4 MK*1 in 1985 for $60.00. Still have it. Sorry no pics at work.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
cvc944

This guy right here. 1966 Browning T-Bolt. I got it knew as a gift from Dad and used it for a long time with a peep sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning T-Bolt.jpg (146.3 KB, 44 views)
Old April 7, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

No pics, but it was an H&R single-shot 20 ga. I dove hunted with it. The lesson that I learned from it: That first shot really has to count.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
L_Killkenny

Pawn shop Glenfield 25, .22lr. Long gone, bought a duplicate years later and discovered it wasn't the gun I remembered.
Old April 7, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

First gun I shot, and on which I learned, was my grandfather's Winchester Model 1903 .22 carbine. (No, I didn't forget "LR" -- the 1903 was not .22LR.) My own first firearm was a long-gone $25, German-made .22 six shooter that was (IIRC) the same size as the Ruger Single Six.
Old April 7, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
kc_hhsl

My First Gun ...

Daisy bb gun ...

then

Cross 22 cal pellet rifle - great thing growing up

20 gauge Mossberg shotgun (was allowed to use)

First real one -still have

Remington 22 caliber rifle bolt action. This has been one heck go a good gun and lots of fun.

NRA Life Member
Old April 7, 2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Mauser8mm

Nice!

Some very nice posts here!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 7, 2013, 02:06 PM   #9
CSG

I was about 15-16 when I got my first firearm - the newly introduced Ruger 10/22. I had shot my dad's old Police Positive at the local range for a couple years before that and had shot Remington bolt .22's at boy scout camp but that Ruger was my own. It was around 1965-6 in California and there was no issue with a kid having a gun in those days. Shot it at the range and up in Ojai on a ranch that belonged to friends of my folks.

Sadly, sold to a fellow deputy sheriff around 1974 when I was hurting for a few extra dollars.

Next purchase in 1967 was a WWII British SMLE. Also gone but I still have a Jungle Carbine.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
shouldazagged

Walther PP, in original hoster with the German owner's name penciled inside the flap. Given to me by a family friend who served in WWII and said he took it from a German officer who "no longer needed it." I've since learned that some Wehrmacht officers preferred the PP and carried it when they could.

I was about ten when it was given to me--first gun I actually owned, but I never got to shoot it. An attempt was made to steal it and my mother insisted on selling it (to a pawn shop for fifteen freakin' dollars), so I can't post pictures. I had a hell of a time forgiving her for that.

Wish I had it today. It was well made, though the bluing wasn't top quality, and had checkered wooden grips.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Oh, drat! kc_hhsl's post reminded me that I had a Daisy BB gun before the 20 ga. I didn't even think about BB/air guns.
Old April 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Skans

First gun ever was a knock-off of a S&W Chief's Special .38 special revolver. I think it was made by INA - it had a puma on it.
Old April 8, 2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

My first gun was a Ruger Single Six with the .22 Mag spare cylinder.

I couldn't hit a thing with it and eventually it got sold, don't ask , but eventually a S&W 686 was given to me as a replacement.

That was a more than fair trade off, but I still miss my first real gun.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:01 PM   #14
8MM Mauser

First gun I ever owned was a BB gun pistol shaped like a Maiser c96 and colored a hideous orange. I also had a BB lever action rifle, not a daisy, but a knockoff. i remember i used to sit on my parents shed and shoot birds in the neighbors yard with it.

First "real" gun I fired was a 20GA Stevens that belonged to my grandpa and now belongs to my dad. First real gun I ever owned was a Mosin-Nagant M44 I purchased when I was 19; I actually didn't care for the gun at all and like a month after I purchased it I received a decrepit Mauser rifle that my grandpa sporterized for me. It's got a 2lb trigger that breaks like glass and it works like the day it was made... In 1913. It actually started life as a Gewehr 98.

I hardly ever shot the Mosin, maybe 200 rounds total and I was terrible with it, the sights were actually bent on it so you had to aim about an inch to the right of where you wanted to hit at 50 yards. Unlike other mosins I've seen, it can't hit the broad side of a barn at 100 yards. I sold it for 180% of what I paid for it and baught a shotgun.

So in a way, to me, the Mauser is my first real gun. But the Mosin wins on a technicality...

I would love to have a decent lever gun though, that BB gun was just too much fun and it'de be cool to have the real thing.

Course a real C96 would be nice too...
Old April 8, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
8MM Mauser

Quote:
Walther PP, in original hoster with the German owner's name penciled inside the flap. Given to me by a family friend who served in WWII and said he took it from a German officer who "no longer needed it." I've since learned that some Wehrmacht officers preferred the PP and carried it when they could.

I was about ten when it was given to me--first gun I actually owned, but I never got to shoot it. An attempt was made to steal it and my mother insisted on selling it (to a pawn shop for fifteen freakin' dollars), so I can't post pictures. I had a hell of a time forgiving her for that.

Wish I had it today. It was well made, though the bluing wasn't top quality, and had checkered wooden grips.
Dad and I made sure my mom thought my BB rifle was just a snap gun. I used to "dry fire" it all the time in the house and she just assumed. I literally cannot imagine her reaction if she caught me shooting at birds with it...
Old April 8, 2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Mausermolt

my first rifle was a Chipmunk .22LR verry similar to the Crickett .22LR rifles you see today. the next rifle was a Ruger 77/22. the first rifle i bought myself was a Winchester 70 in 300wsm when i was 15....yeah a little overkill for a 15 year old kid but i still have the rifle and shoot it quite proficiently.
Old April 8, 2013, 07:48 PM   #17
biganimal

Daisy pump BB rifle at age 7
Stevens Crack-shot .22 rifle at age 8
Ithaca model 66 lever action 20 ga shotgun at age 11
Model 44 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R (Polish made) same year at age 11
after that about 600+/- rifles, shotguns, and handguns have found a home (sometimes a very short stay) in my gun cabinet.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:03 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

Sears and Roebuck Model 41 .22 rifle for Christmas, 10 years old. Still have it, good little pest getter.
Old April 9, 2013, 05:05 PM   #19
TJMehaf

9th birthday a Daisy lever action bb gun. You could actually see the bb in flight.
11th birthday Crosman 760 pump gun.

13th birthday Dads Remington 550-1 .22 semi-auto. Still in my safe.
Many more since then....
Old April 10, 2013, 09:15 AM   #20
Shadow9mm

first rifle a ruger 10/22, first pistol, on my 21st birthday, sig P226
Old April 10, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

My first "fire"arm was a Ruger 10/22 that I still have. My first "gun" was a Crossman BB gun, similar to their current 2100 model. No gun will ever match the number of pigeons, starlings and sparrows I killed with that thing.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Wyoredman

Like others, my first guns were BB and pellet rifles from Daisy and Crossman.

My first real firearm was a Marlin Model 70, magazine fed .22LR carbine. I think dad paid the local Coast-Coast store around $50 for it when I passed my hunter's safety class, around age 10 I think.

I still have the old gun in my safe and shoot it once in awhile. I don't think the thing is worth more than the $50 Dad paid for it back in 1980!

It looks pretty beat up, but still shoots fairly well.

This brings back memories of summer weekends spent crawling the hills and valleys with some buddies, shooting bricks of .22 LR. Remember shooting 1000 rounds, then riding my bike to the store for more! Never had to worry if there were any .22LR on the shelf, just had to worry if I had saved enough allowance money to buy some!
Old April 10, 2013, 11:39 AM   #23
BarryLee

Remington Nylon 66 .22lr
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 10, 2013, 11:55 AM   #24
KMAX

First firearm: Revelation 22lr (sold by Western Auto). I think the model was 110 or something close to it. It was a tube fed bolt action in a wood stock. I could shoot ink bottles out of the air with it when I was a teenager. Would love to find another like it or maybe a Remington in the same platform. Back in those days I could make a box of 50 shells last a cople of weeks when hunting rabbits daily. That was before I discovered the semiauto 22.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old April 10, 2013, 01:42 PM   #25
bobcob

Iver Johnson .410 single bbl my Dad had when he was young Still have it. Might be over 100 years old now.