The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Prince55

Powder measure help---

I'm wanting to get a good dependable and accurate powder measure.
I haven't used one for years-any suggestions on new or used models ?
Having trouble deciding.

Thanks
Old March 30, 2009, 01:26 AM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Depends on how much you wanna spend. I have been using the cheap one made by Lee (as a backup to my pro-autodisk) and it works just fine and is not gonna cost you an arm and a leg. You will find that any single volumetric powder measurer will not be 100% dead on accurate with all powders because some powders meter better than others. They all will get you within acceptable tolerances though...or they would not be on the market!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 30, 2009, 01:33 AM   #3
luis7

Hello.
If you can buy a used discontinued Ohaus 7200 or Uniflow Duo (ohaus manufacture both) you will have a lifetime and accurate powder measure.
Like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0941.jpg (244.2 KB, 121 views)
Old March 30, 2009, 01:47 AM   #4
Prince55

Thanks for the info and pictures.
By the way-looking at those pictures reminds me of the one I had
years ago. It had that type of handle and adjustments-it was
an Ohaus-just can't remember what model.
Old March 30, 2009, 02:26 AM   #5
butta9999

I agree coyote they are only a near too measurement. I always throw the powder into my pan then trickle the balance..
Old March 30, 2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Sevens

I use the Hornady powder measure. I'm not sure if it has any more of a name than simply Hornady. It's your basic, tall, adjustable chamber measure. It comes with two different mouths for large and small case size (I just keep the large one on it) and it comes with a pistol and a rifle chamber. The rifle chamber is large, the pistol chamber just has a small hole bored in the barrel.

It's very consistent with most powders. Some of the larger flake powders give a little grief with small charges, so I often use the larger rifle chamber at a small setting and it seems to handle large flake powders better.

When I set it up, I get close, then I measure 10 drops and divide by 10. By doing it this way, I get around any small scale error and focus on exactly what the measure is dropping.

Never ceases to amaze me that I can zero a scale, drop 10 charges of a standard pistol charge weight and come up with exactly what I'm looking for.

The measure is solid as a rock and should last the rest of my life.
Old March 30, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
billcarey

I use an RCBS Uniflo with the small pistol chamber...and a recently installed powder baffle. It adjusts by turning a screw and is quite accurate and consistant. Yesterday I test measured 1.3 grains of Accurate #5 powder (ball powder) with consistancy of 1/10 grain or less. I pulled 100 charges and weighed each one on my RCBS 510 scale for accuracy. If you don't know it, this is extremely good measuring on small loads.
Old March 30, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

It does depend on the kind of powder you will be using. The Uniflow, Redding, Hornady and especially the expensive Harrell rotating drum measures all do very well with ball powders. Stick powders are more problematic for them because the drums tend to cut the grains as they rotate. The JDS QuickMeasure is less convenient to setup, but cannot cut grains at all by design and is the most consistent stick powder measure I've found. Second place for sitck powder after that is the Lee Perfect measure, which is dirt cheap and needs a bit of effort to anchor firmly, but which has a patented wiper that doesn't usually cut stick powder, either, though it is a little hit and miss. I have two of these measures I haul to the range for load development with different powders in them. One almost never sticks on or cuts a grain. The other does it a third of the time, so I use that one for short cut grains and small flake powders only (it doesn't like large flakes, like Unique, but almost no measure does). The Lee has trouble with fine ball powder leaking around its plastic drum, so I would stick to the metal drum measures for ball powder. But if you get one with the wiper working properly, it is good for stick powder. For flake powders, the sliding charge bar measures, like on my Dillon reloaders, seem to do best.

If you get a measure without a baffle, I have templates and instructions for making your own in downloadable PDF format at my file repository.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 30, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
jal5

FWIW I used Unclenick's baffle template and it worked well with my Uniflow, even on Unique...not perfect but within tolerable limits.
Thanks Unclenick!
Joe
Old March 30, 2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Prince55

Thanks for all the Great tips and suggestions.
You guys are Tops.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:03 AM   #11
Vstrom

I have used both Lyman 55,s and recently a Redding pistol bench rest powder thrower and I found it to be extremely accurate with all pistol powders. If theres one thing I hate, its powder thrower that gives varied weights!!
Old May 8, 2009, 02:01 AM   #12
Shoney

If you want the top end measures, go to the 1000 yard competitions. A very high majority will be using Harrel measures, at $200-$300 ea.
http://www.harrellsprec.com/

However, if you absolutely, positively, definitely, and unconditionally need the best, accurate to +/- 0.03 (three hundredths) of a grain, powder measure, get the Promethius, for only a meager $1200.00
http://www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 8, 2009, 02:42 AM   #13
Winchester 69

For reliably consistent operation with all powders, the RCBS ChargeMaster Combo is gaining a following. I won't say it's perfect, but they've been working on its problems until they now have a decent instrument. I would look to one of these rather than trying to get by with a mechanical measure. I myself am still weighing each charge, but this is the only way I would spend my money unless I knew I would be restricted to easy powders. If it gives any problems, RCBS will send a replacement unit regardless of age.