The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 21, 2018, 01:42 PM   #1
mete

High Pressure Grease

High pressure grease like those developed for early stainless steel guns for anti-galling such as RIG+. What's available today ? [ EP Grease ]

Last edited by mete; July 21, 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 21, 2018, 02:22 PM   #2
RC20

That would be EP grease.

Not needed for a gun.

I use synthetic as I got a combo order of that and oil.
Old July 21, 2018, 03:38 PM   #3
std7mag

I use one from i believe, Montana gun products on my bolts.
Marketed specifically for guns.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 22, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
RC20

There is not standard for gun grease. It can be anything someone puts in a tube or small tub including bacon grease. Guaranteed its repackaged grease from something.

Equipment greases do have standards. If you want an EP grease, then get something like Chevron, forget which type but your local petroleum company will have it, maybe local auto store.
Old July 22, 2018, 03:39 PM   #5
tangolima

I have gone through my own journey of understanding on gun grease. When I started out, I bought a tube of tetra grease with Teflon for guns. It worked fine for years.

Then I found, by accident, that the moly grease I used for auto repair actually worked better. I gave away the half tube of tetra grease to a friend, who was starting out as well.

Some years later I needed special grease for repairing some food processing appliance. I bought a tube of superlube synthetic grease. It worked as well as the moly , if not better. It is my first choice; it is clear, non-toxic and has very wide temperature range.

There are actually many choices without the "gun" label. They may work even better and are, almost for sure, cheaper.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old July 22, 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
RC20

Yep, as noted, oils and greases for machinery have specs. Very high quality control maintained (by the OEM like Chevron as well as the specialty guys you find in your local Bearing Store.)

Even some regional grease suppliers are iffy. One sold us grease for one use, they moved to use it everyone and when I tracked it down found it was not synthetic like the sale people claimed (and charged for)

Synthetic gun grease is going to be decent and likely re-packged from a good supplier, but costs a fair amount.

Nothing in a gun sees the type of action a gear does. Lugs simply have a single impulse, they are not bathed in grease and it just wipes off. In a bearing its replaced but in a gun it just squirts off to one side.

Open chain drives (Motorcycle) forget it. O ring chains helped a lot but.....

You can't keep a bicycle chain worth a hoot past 1000 miles. O ring types don't even help there (triple the cost and you may double the life, hmmm)
Old August 7, 2018, 02:54 PM   #7
jfruser

I am happy with the red Mobil1 synthetic grease, sold in the tubs. One tub will last you a lifetime.
Old August 7, 2018, 05:51 PM   #8
mete

If you have something like Browning O/U the forces on the hinge pin are high and there are also wiping action forces so an EP grade is suitable ! A small amount on the hinge pin and a standard grease for other parts. . A common example of wiping forces are found on automobile hypoid gears ! !
Old August 9, 2018, 05:16 PM   #9
RC20

Won't hurt but not needed.
Old August 25, 2018, 12:05 PM   #10
SGW Gunsmith

Over the years I've used a "copper dust" impregnated anti-seize grease for use on firearms where like-metal parts rub against one another. Break-open shotguns will be seen with galling on the front of the receiver where the forearm iron rubs.
Many Ruger Mark pistol owners find it difficult to remove the upper assembly off the grip frame due to the metal to metal contact involved. This copper dust anti-seize lube will prevent all of that, and the copper dust itself is a good lubricating agent:

Old August 26, 2018, 04:27 PM   #11
RC20

Interesting. We tried it on fan shafts and it welded the bearings to them.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:30 PM   #12
Dufus

It isn't a lubricating grease. It's intended use is for bolt threads.

https://www.newmantools.com/felpro/c5a.htm
Old August 29, 2018, 04:01 PM   #13
gwpercle

Lucas Red-N-Tacky , good high pressure lithium grease , works well on rails.

Anti seize compounds are more to keep threads from...well from seizing , the next time you want to unscrew the bolt it will unscrew . not so much for the lubrication of moving parts .
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; August 29, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old August 29, 2018, 04:45 PM   #14
FITASC

This stuff works well: I have used it on guns, my pool filter gaskets for lubrication prior to reinstallation, etc. It is also NSF rated for food areas:

Also works great on the collet sizer of my reloading (MEC) equipment
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 30, 2018, 11:25 AM   #15
F. Guffey

I am not the fan of packing my guns with grease. I am also the fan of having nothing between the case and chamber, nothing but air as in atmosphere. When my case expands nothing gets out of the way like air.

I know, grease is thin but it is slower at getting out of the way than air and then there is the worst part; dirt, grit and grime, dirt, grit and grime can be abrasive, grease is like a magnet when it comes to attracting dirt, grit and grime.

F. Guffey