The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 26, 2015, 12:55 PM   #1
Independent George

Weighted snap-caps

Does anybody manufacture heavy snap caps to practice reloading a revolver with? All the ones I've seen are lightweight plastic or aluminum, which just don't feel the same when practicing a reload. It's especially apparent when using a speed loader, or the ejector - the lack of mass changes the operation too much.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:08 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Easy if you handload or know someone who does. Just make up some rounds with bullets but no powder or primers. Drill holes in the cases and leave out the primer so you wont mix them with live rounds. If you want them to perform as snap caps, fill the primer pocket with silicone glue.

Jim
Old May 26, 2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Pahoo

Yep

Quote:
Easy if you handload or know someone who does.
That's one way you can go and another is;
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...y=dummy+rounds

Now then,
There are snap caps, Dummy rounds and combination of both. I like the Azoom products. I listed Midway, only because that is where I have bought these and they are easy to find but there is a ton of suppliers out there that you can order from. There is even a company that makes solid silver bullets.

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 26, 2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
That's one way you can go and another is;
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...y=dummy+rounds

Now then,
There are snap caps, Dummy rounds and combination of both. I like the Azoom products. I listed Midway, only because that is where I have bought these and they are easy to find but there is a ton of suppliers out there that you can order from. There is even a company that makes solid silver bullets.

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Are those A-Zooms filled solid? The dummy rounds I've seen in stores are all hollow aluminum, and too lightweight for my purposes.

I don't reload yet, though this feels like another argument in favor of it.
Old May 26, 2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Pahoo

I don't really know !!!

Quote:
Are those A-Zooms filled solid?
I don't know about solid but I use the Dummies for cycling and they do just fine.

Quote:
The dummy rounds I've seen in stores are all hollow aluminum, and too lightweight for my purposes.
Well, I guess I don't know about your purpose. I can say that they do have some noticeable weight to them but have to admit that I have not actually weighed them. In a blind test, I can't tell the difference. I also do not know what caliber you are referring to but if you find something that interests you, why not address this question to the manufacturer. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 26, 2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Model12Win

Check these out:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod40860.aspx

Brownells dummy rounds with real lead bullets. Should feel the same weight as real cartridges.
Old May 26, 2015, 06:20 PM   #7
MarkCO

I saved up some Nickle cases and got some red polymer coated lead bullets from Eggleston Munitions. For $45 I can have 500 of them.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Well, I guess I don't know about your purpose. I can say that they do have some noticeable weight to them but have to admit that I have not actually weighed them. In a blind test, I can't tell the difference. I also do not know what caliber you are referring to but if you find something that interests you, why not address this question to the manufacturer. ...
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to practice quick reloads on my GP-100, but the plastic snap caps I'm currently don't feel or act anything like the live rounds I use at the range. They sometimes hang up in the speed loader instead of dropping into the cylinder; the actual bullets are heavy enough that his doesn't happen. When loading individual rounds, the plastic snap caps are way too easy to manipulate with my fingers; it just doesn't feel like a real bullet, which is slick and heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win
Check these out:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod40860.aspx

Brownells dummy rounds with real lead bullets. Should feel the same weight as real cartridges.
That looks perfect - thanks!
Old May 27, 2015, 12:54 AM   #9
OkieCruffler

If you'd like I'll make you up a batch with 125gr cast bullets, powder coated yellow so you can't mix them up. Just drop me an email. [email protected].
Might take a few days since right now my shop is surrounded by a moat.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:50 PM   #10
Model12Win

I'm in the same boat as you brother.

I use plastic dummy rounds of ST-training and while they're nice, they're very lightweight and don't feel like the real deal when using speedloaders or speed strips during reload drills.
Old May 28, 2015, 01:22 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I Learned something interesting...

About using snap caps for function testing.

Don't.

Or, more precisely, don't trust the function just because a snap cap works.

A friend of mine uses the red metal snap caps (I forget the name). He got a new 1911.45ACP. Had it for a while, took it to the range a couple times, everything ok.

Then, one time, he loaded it, and didn't shoot it empty. He found out that it would NOT EJECT a loaded round. It would eject the snap cap, just fine, but NOT a loaded round. Even a short (shorter than ball) hollowpoint would hang up.

The snap cap, while about the same length as factory ball ammo, would clear the port, but a loaded round would not. The gun went back to the maker, and was fixed.

This was something I had never seen before, and taught me the lesson that a snap cap is NOT proper dummy ammo for function testing.