The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 2, 2020, 04:27 PM   #26
Shadow9mm

not generally inside the house, but as soon as I step out the door, yes. I also have relatively quick access to firearm in the house If I need to get to it.
Old December 2, 2020, 06:42 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

Damn...no tinfoil hat...raised Catholic...got a graduate degree...exec at a national brand...married...don't drink...don't chase skirt...believe in science...straight shooter in many ways...kids in college...but I guess I'm just living on the fringe. Oh my.
Old December 2, 2020, 08:48 PM   #28
FireForged

I am not sure what any of that means. So is that a NO
Old December 2, 2020, 09:06 PM   #29
zoo

Yes. One never knows when one might have to shoot a family member! I don't even like having to pack a wallet in my pocket at home. Why would I even want to add on the hassle of packin around a gun at home unless I had a feeling of impending doom?
Old December 2, 2020, 10:01 PM   #30
shurshot

"If a 1911 or Glock 19 (whatever) is carried in "indian country" 

Perhaps this should be rephrased? Not to beat the PC drum, but since this IS a public forum and ALL gun owners are welcome here... obviously not stated in a malicious way, but... someone could be offended. This is 2020.
Old December 2, 2020, 10:45 PM   #31
Ingramite

YES

Folks are always looking for an excuse not to.

Suppose I fall over and can't get up? Ya know, like on my way to the fridge?

The Bathrobe Rig will help me keep the buzzards at bay as long as I'm conscience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XDE Bathrobe Rig.jpg (120.3 KB, 28 views)
Old December 3, 2020, 08:56 AM   #32
Crankylove

If I am out of bed, and not in the shower, I carry.

My home is where my most important things are (wife and kids), I want to be able to protect them. Just because I’m at home, doesn’t mean nothing will ever happen there, that it’s is a literal “safe space”.

I know many people that don’t carry at home. Some simply put the gun on a shelf, some lock it up in a safe. Personally, I can’t see making the instrument I use to protect my self and my family harder to use by unloading it, or making it inaccessible.
Old December 3, 2020, 09:45 AM   #33
Carl the Floor Walker

No-I do however keep my Alarm system on and CCTV. I was in the industry for over three decades. I do have a firearm handy and will wear a firearm when I walk my Dog.
Old December 3, 2020, 10:04 AM   #34
Don P

Yes, better to have and not need, than needing and not having. Just a point to ponder, bad things happen in good places
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 3, 2020, 12:46 PM   #35
Sanch

Oh yeah. I gotta. My TV spies on me. Alexa is transmitting my thoughts to Starship Enterprise. Black Ops spooks at surveilling my movements. Outlaw bikers have infiltrated my 'hood. Cookers are making kryptonite three doors down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k with every move I make another chance I take, odds are I won't live to see tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaR3WO71j4 (Johnny Rivers was one heck of a guitarist).

I don't have loaded gun in my home. If I thought I had to carry in my home, I'd be living in the wrong city.

You're not paranoid if people are out to get you. No one's out to get me 'cept Sophia Vagara. Siri has given her the bum steer on my address.
Old December 3, 2020, 02:07 PM   #36
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
"If a 1911 or Glock 19 (whatever) is carried in "indian country" 

Perhaps this should be rephrased? Not to beat the PC drum, but since this IS a public forum and ALL gun owners are welcome here... obviously not stated in a malicious way, but... someone could be offended. This is 2020.
That is not my phrase, but I've seen it used.
The persons that used it have budding psychic ability, they think they can predict where psychos/criminals will or will not be.
They carry "less" in a "good area" but "more" where the threat is perceived to be greater; "bad" people are conveniently immobile and mostly nocturnal according to their crystal ball.
I used language I though they could understand, but it doesn't matter anyway; IME, people that post that (or similar) are not going to change.

I'll rephrase it into my words, much more PC.

Whatever pistol is carried in an area of perceived greater threat, should logically be carried anywhere, everywhere (yes, that means in "good areas" in the daytime).

I edited that post to be PC compliant.

Last edited by CDW4ME; December 3, 2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old December 3, 2020, 02:11 PM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Petit family lived in a "good" area. They lived in an upscale neighborhood of an upscale suburb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshi...vasion_murders
Jeepaholic
Old December 3, 2020, 02:14 PM   #38
Mycin

If I'm up and dressed, I'm carrying unless I have to go somewhere that it's illegal to do so (county building to register auto, etc.).
Old December 3, 2020, 06:18 PM   #39
shurshot

That link and story about the Petit family, just reinforces WHY so many people carry at home as well as out and about. You just never know.
Old December 3, 2020, 06:36 PM   #40
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot
That link and story about the Petit family, just reinforces WHY so many people carry at home as well as out and about. You just never know.
That's exactly why I posted it. Disasters, catastrophes, and bad guys rarely call ahead to make an appointment. Bad guys have cars, and cell phones. They aren't limited to doing home invasions in the ghettos -- they know there's more money in the 'burbs.

Each of us has his/her own level of comfort. I don't accept that there are "safe" or "good" areas where one doesn't have to worry about crime. The odds may be better in the so-called "good" area, but that didn't help the Petits.
Jeepaholic
Old December 3, 2020, 11:38 PM   #41
Moonglum

To be fair a locked door would have done as much to save the Petit family as a gun. The criminals gained entry through an unlocked basement door and attacked the father sleeping on a couch.

Last edited by Moonglum; December 4, 2020 at 05:45 AM.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:55 AM   #42
shurshot

How many locked doors will stop a well placed boot or shoulder from an adrenaline fueled thug(s) from gaining entry? Most won't.
Old December 4, 2020, 07:25 AM   #43
Carl the Floor Walker

A locked door with a alarm sensor very well could have made a huge difference.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; December 4, 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 4, 2020, 07:49 AM   #44
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot
How many locked doors will stop a well placed boot or shoulder from an adrenaline fueled thug(s) from gaining entry? Most won't.
I don't know how many locked doors will stop a well-placed boot but I'll bet you those do a better job than unlocked doors.

Old December 4, 2020, 08:35 AM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

deleted

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; December 4, 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old December 4, 2020, 10:04 AM   #46
dyl

I live right off a highway. But even if I didn't, just knowing that criminals know that most people won't be prepared, makes me want to be.

If I've gotten dressed for the day, it's usually in something that I can pocket carry with. Into the pocket it goes, and there it stays until I change into something to sleep and I'm usually the last one asleep in the house. This way I don't have to worry about having it on / off me depending on if I go out.

Sure pocket carry is slower on the draw in many circumstances, but with 4 young children around I value the security, concealment, and convenience.
Old December 4, 2020, 11:23 AM   #47
ballardw

My house is about 100 yards from the county jail.
While I was moving in there were a bunch of cops out an about in the neighborhood.
Turned out they were searching for an escaped prisoner.

Yes, I carry in the house and keep my doors locked.
Old December 4, 2020, 12:00 PM   #48
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum
To be fair a locked door would have done as much to save the Petit family as a gun. The criminals gained entry through an unlocked basement door and attacked the father sleeping on a couch.
The basement door was unlocked, and the alarm wasn't activated, because they lived in a "good" area. They didn't think anything would/could happen.

The point is that living in a "good" area is not an assurance that bad things won't happen. Expecting that living in a "good" area is absolute protection against bad things happening is magickal thinking, about on a par with thinking that posting a "No Guns Allowed" sign will deter a nut case with a gun from coming in and shooting up the joint.
Jeepaholic
Old December 4, 2020, 12:06 PM   #49
TailGator

I live in an upscale gated neighborhood, but I don't consider that to imply any sort of immunity to crime. I carry IWB outside the house. When I am home long enough to change clothes, I carry in a pocket holster or have the holstered pistol nearby, such as on a side table while watching TV. When my granddaughter is here (frequent visit by a three-year-old) it goes in a quick-access box, as it does at night.

Paranoid? Not diagnosed, and I see a doctor regularly. Fringe? Depends on the beliefs of the person doing the judging. Safe? Yep, always. I am safe to be around when armed, because I exercise care, and it is safe to be a visitor to my home because I defend my home.
Old December 4, 2020, 12:27 PM   #50
cc-hangfire

As the OP first stated - old topic. And there are as many opinions as there are people. What’s right for each of us depends on our circumstances. With that said, I’ll play!
Yes I carry at home. Because;
A) Firearm security and personal control- Where’s my gun you ask? In my pocket or on my hip. Secure and under my control.
B) Response/reaction time: when you NEED a firearm, BY GEORGE YOU’LL NEED IT NOW
C) I’m not a fortune teller: I live in a nice neighborhood. My daily commute goes thru God’s country and among good people. So far I’ve been “over armed” so far my whole life. But even though the odds are low that I’ll ever need it, the consequences are extreme if I need it & don’t have it.
Closed Thread