The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2021, 09:45 AM   #1
jmhyer

"Claw" accessory for AIWB carry

I have been carrying AIWB for several years. Up until now, my carry gun has always been of the sub-compact, single stack variety (i.e.- M&P Shield). I am considering a change to more of "compact" carry gun (i.e.- M&P 2.0 Compact), but am concerned about the length of the grip with regard to printing.

In looking at holsters, I am seeing some Kydex AIWB holsters with the "claw" attachment that is reportedly designed to keep the grip of the firearm closer to the skin to reduce printing. For those with experience, are these attachments helpful?
Old January 14, 2021, 01:27 PM   #2
gaseousclay

I have a Vedder IWB light tuck holster with the claw. It’s useful for appendix carry, as I’m assuming that’s what it was developed for. I found that the claw does help, but what you’re wearing is also just as helpful imo. There’s tons of YouTube vids out there that can probably do a better job explaining the claw
Old January 16, 2021, 03:57 AM   #3
DubC-Hicks

All of my IWB holsters now have a claw. I've found them to make quite a difference, making my G17 conceal about like a G19 without a claw, as far as printing under a t-shirt.
Old January 16, 2021, 10:20 AM   #4
jmhyer

Thanks for the replies.
Old January 16, 2021, 03:46 PM   #5
sevt_chevelle

Check out JM custom holsters, they are my go to.
Old February 1, 2021, 07:31 PM   #6
Captains1911

Yes, they work very well to pull the grip of the gun in, especially on guns with shorter slides.
Old February 4, 2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Pistoler0

The claw helps for appendix carry.

Even more so in combination with a wedge, you can fashion one for your holster yourself from Dr Scholls shoe inserts, look up some youtube instructions, it is super easy.

I successfuly conceal AIWB a full size Glock 21
Old February 11, 2021, 12:31 PM   #8
Equin

I’m also considering AIWB with a claw. Kusiak Leather’s American IWB holster looks interesting:

https://kusiakleather.com/products/t...an-iwb-holster

But I wonder if the claw interfere’s with getting a decent grip when drawing from it? Those with claws have any experience with that, or does it depend on the holster, type of claw and particular gun setup?
Old February 11, 2021, 03:11 PM   #9
Pistoler0

In my experience the claw in my particular holster (from Hydden Hybrid Holsters)
https://hiddenhybridholsters.com/col...e-appendix-iwb

does not interfere at all with getting a decent grip. It is far below the pistol grip, pressing against my belt.

Claws do help, and as I said in a previous post it also helps for concealment to fashion some kind of wedge to push the muzzle of the gun out (and the gun grip in). Besides helping with AIWB concealment, pushing the muzzle of the gun out also "enhances" the appearance of your endowment, if you know what I mean . Win-win. Although I know that most of us don't have a need for that.

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old February 11, 2021, 04:02 PM   #10
jmhyer

So this is what I have gone with...

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/c...=6801204641844

I, in fact, did get the claw kit. Tried it both without and with the claw.

I am very pleased. Indeed, the claw does help to pull the grip toward the body. No interference with the draw, as it sits tight against the back side of the belt and is flush with the top of the belt.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old February 11, 2021, 07:59 PM   #11
Equin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
In my experience the claw in my particular holster (from Hydden Hybrid Holsters)
https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch...tVersion=1.3.0

does not interfere at all with getting a decent grip. It is far below the pistol grip, pressing against my belt.

Claws do help, and as I said in a previous post it also helps for concealment to fashion some kind of wedge to push the muzzle of the gun out (and the gun grip in). Besides helping with AIWB concealment, pushing the muzzle of the gun out also "enhances" the appearance of your endowment, if you know what I mean . Win-win. Although I know that most of us don't have a need for that.
Thanks for the great info and the explanation on the use of the wedge! Definitely something I want to look into more. That Hybrid Holster looks nice. I like how the claw is minimal in size but functional. I also like how the belt clip is off centered by the trigger, instead of on top of the slide like some others. Do you find it interferes in any way with the trigger finger when drawing?
Old February 11, 2021, 11:28 PM   #12
tomrkba

Claw, wedge, very flat metal clips from Discreet Carry Concepts that attach near the muzzle (they are a great improvement), and enough holes and slots for adjustment are a beautiful thing.

Tenicor holsters are amazing. Their hole pattern and these features make them excellent for carry.
Old February 12, 2021, 02:02 AM   #13
Blue Jays

@tomrkba...thanks for the tip about Tenicor Holsters.
Lots of interesting material to read on their website.
Old February 12, 2021, 10:17 AM   #14
gnystrom

P365, Vedder w/claw, AIWB=perfect.