The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2018, 09:04 PM   #1
Grey_Lion

Cleaning a Lee Melter - need ideas please

I've been using my Lee melter for about 5 years now. It's got a significant amount of build-up.

When I reduce wheel weights and scrap I do it in an old aluminum pot and pour ingots first in the hopes of keeping the Lee clear of the worst of the crud.

Can this rogue's gallery give me ideas on how to go about cleaning the inside of the pot?

Lee doesn't appear to have instructions for such an endeavor.

Obviously step one is to run it hot upside down and let as much drain out of the crucible chamber.

I'm wondering if one way to go about it would be to fill it with borax and then go after it with a brass wire brush.

Thoughts?
Old May 4, 2018, 09:33 PM   #2
David R

Sawdust makes a good flux.

You will have to empty it, then scrub, cold, maybe with a scotch Brite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 4, 2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Chainsaw.

Just get a batch of lead melted, flux with saw dust, let it char, then scrape the inside with a metal spoon really well, all the gunk will float to the top, spoon it off and discard. Continue casting. I do a little of this each time I cast and it keeps my pot clean.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:48 AM   #4
armoredman

I have the same issue, thanks for the heads up. Now to find sawdust....
Old May 5, 2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Oliver Sudden

An cast aluminum pot caused me grief. It did something to the lead and made casting good bullets impossible. Cast iron pot for cleaning and forming ingots has severed me well. A wire brush on a drill will clean a lot of that crud off the pot and if it is the type with a bottom pore removing the rod makes it a better job.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Dufus

If you need sawdust, go to Wally World or some other retailer that has pet supplies and get a bag of the pine bedding. It works good.
Old May 5, 2018, 07:50 PM   #7
David R

Cedar smells much better.

David

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 5, 2018, 09:08 PM   #8
243winxb

When the alloy becomes lquid, i flux with bullet lube or some old flux, in a Lee 10 lb bottom pour. I scrap the sides with a knife and spoon, while stirring like soup. Take slag off the top. Open the bottom spout enough to fill the spoon* . This makes sure the spout is open.

The hole in my old pot has been drilled out larger. I forget to what size.

When done casting, i let the empty pot cool. Remove the flow control pin that plugs the hole. Then take the knife and scrape the sides and remove the thin lead film on the very bottom. Turn upside down.

Then i heat the pot and blow the hole out with air. Dont get sprayed with hot lead.

When cool, spray with WD 40 to store.

The large ladle is for the 40 lb aluminum scrap pot when smelting scrap and making 1 lb ingots.

Linotype from Rotometals is added to the 10 lb pot, if extra hardness is needed.

Last edited by 243winxb; October 5, 2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Grey_Lion

243winxb - That ladle with the strainer is truly inspired. I have a large stainless serving spoon with a couple holes drilled in it to scrape my dirty ingot pot for removing the metal wheel weight clamps and fishing weight loops before I pour ingots in a small muffin tin.