The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Blade37db

Apples vs Oranges. Savage vs Sako. Worth 3x the cost?

I've heard great things about Sako rifles and really like the specs on paper (barrel length (20"), irons, detachable mag) of their Black Bear:
http://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-black-bear
However, buying one would be sight unseen as I've never come across one in a store

Yesterday, I got my hands on the newest version of the Savage Hog Hunter. The biggest change vs the old model is it now has a detachable mag (instead of an internal only):
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110HogHunter

Looking at the .308s and it would be mostly for range fun and maybe a hunt some day. Maybe 200-300 rounds a year.

Asking those in the know: is the Sako really worth 3+ x as much as the Savage ($499 vs $1,599)? If so, I'm curious as to what the big differentiators are?

Thanks.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Capt Rick Hiott

I don't think so,,,,All I buy is Savage. Never had a problem with any of them.
And they are very accurate!
Old May 13, 2018, 07:12 PM   #3
JeepHammer

Savage has seriously stepped up it's game in the past 10-15 years.
The Accu-trigger varmint rifles are dead nuts accurate, while fit-finish could be better, but what do you expect in the $400-$500 price range?
They shoot good, I've not seen a bad barrel from Savage in about 15 years, and the Accu-trigger, while taking some getting used to, adjusting is easy and it breaks clean & crisp.

A big plus for Savage, several of the premium factory loads work well right out of the box, no need for weeks of loading/testing custom rounds to find a good load.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:51 PM   #4
taylorce1

Forget the sights and buy a Tikka CTR. The biggest difference between the two is fit and finish. The Sako will have a smother bolt, and better ergonomics. It will just feel better overall in your hands, but it's like a luxury car vs. commuter car. Both will get you where you want to go, but one is a lot more fun to drive on a long trip.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:28 AM   #5
jmr40

I wouldn't let iron sights factor into my decision. For your stated purposes they aren't needed.

A Tikka CTR is about $900 and will likely out shoot either of those. They are a little on the heavy side for hunting, especially in steep rugged terrain. But so are the Savage and Sako you're looking at.

http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tik...specifications

A standard Tikka runs about $500-$600 depending on blue vs stainless, will be as accurate as anything and will weigh over a pound less with a scope on it than either of the Sako or Savage with no scope on them. Would be my choice for a rifle intended primarily for hunting.

http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tik.../t3x-superlite

Winston Churchill
Old May 14, 2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Blade37db

Thanks for Tikka suggestions guys. I am aware of them and that they are really good riflles but I want my long guns to have irons. If I need/want to scope them as well, I will.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Don Fischer

I don't think most rifle's are worth what they sell for anymore. I've had several Sako's and they are nice rifler's. But I'm a user, not investor and a rifle that is made to use get's my arrention every time, long as it has a wood stock! I have two Mossberg Patriot's and to me they are nice looking rifles. Yea they don't have the cosmetic's on my M70 but they do out shoot it! Every rifle does the same. You feed it a loaded round. It fire's the cartridge and a bullet is sent down range in expectation of hitting a target, they all do the same exact thing! Is a $1500 rifle better than $500 rifle. Cosmetically yes, in function not in my opinion. People buying the high dollar firearm's have all sort's of reason their better, but most is cosmetic's! Seem's like every rifle made these day's has a decent adjustable trigger yet some guy replace it before even shooting it! They get such and such after market trigger and swoon over it. Have to justify the cost some how. I have a very nice custom 1903. Didn't use it for year's because of it's value. Startd using it last year as I finally came to the idea it is just a rifle, very nice and expensive one but a rifle none the less! My hang up is I like wood stock's. If I want'ed a rifle a certain rifle and it had one of those hardwood stock's the M-788 came with. I'd get it before any rifle with any kind of plastic stock. That is mostly a cosmetic thing but it's my cosmetic thing! Now people can go on about the better plastic stocks and it get's no where with me. I have seldom had a wood stock rifle that didn't shoot better than me. Of course I'm not a competitive shooter, I don't need a 1/4" rifle but, I've had a few with wood stocks.
Old May 14, 2018, 09:54 AM   #8
lamarw

Don't forget resell consideration.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:28 AM   #9
RC20

If having a nice gun makes you feel good, then the Sako or Tika

If its a tool and you want the job done, Savage does it just fine.

Sako or Tika are hand me down guns as well (and you never know what kids will continue with) .

If either one shoots poorly, someone will give you $300 for the Savage action.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:39 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

The Sako is made in Finland. Aside from the exchange rate(1 EUR = 1.19642USD today)there are duties, shipping and taxes your Uncle Sam wants on every one of 'em.
And those iron sights are the same crappy irons sights that used to be on every hunting rifle. "Rapid target acquisition iron sights" is marketing BS. The Hog Hunter's irons aren't any better though.
Plus there's exactly one warrantee shop in the whole U.S. that's owned by Berretta USA.
It's very hard to beat any Savage rifle for out of the box accuracy.
"...a bad barrel from Savage..." No such thing. Savage stuff is well known for outstanding out of the box accuracy. Always have been. Where they "stepped up their game" is in quitting using low end scopes on their package rifles. All Weavers and Nikons now.
Old May 14, 2018, 02:09 PM   #11
Blade37db

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
The Sako is made in Finland. Aside from the exchange rate(1 EUR = 1.19642USD today)there are duties, shipping and taxes your Uncle Sam wants on every one of 'em.
And those iron sights are the same crappy irons sights that used to be on every hunting rifle. "Rapid target acquisition iron sights" is marketing BS. The Hog Hunter's irons aren't any better though.
Plus there's exactly one warrantee shop in the whole U.S. that's owned by Berretta USA.
It's very hard to beat any Savage rifle for out of the box accuracy.
"...a bad barrel from Savage..." No such thing. Savage stuff is well known for outstanding out of the box accuracy. Always have been. Where they "stepped up their game" is in quitting using low end scopes on their package rifles. All Weavers and Nikons now.
I get that the stock irons are guns are usually not the best ("crappy"), but I like having them and using them.
Old May 14, 2018, 02:26 PM   #12
Remington74

Get the Savage and keep the extra $1,000 in your wallet for something else. Maybe another rifle, handgun, shotgun, half a ton of ammo, whatever.
Old May 14, 2018, 03:50 PM   #13
fourbore

The ONLY thing keeping me from owning a Sako is the price. I think they are worth the cost. I may yet get one someday. Comparing a savage and sako is pretty extreme. There must be quite a few middle ground options. The Tikka was mentioned. I would take that over a savage and its not a lot of money.

Open sites can be useful for the minority who have the confidence and ability to use them.

What is the difference? How about a Mercedes vs a Yugo? it is the same deal. Everything is different, Sako being better.

The Sako vastly superior fit and finish of everything.
The Sako most likely be more accurate.
The Sako bolt will be faster and smother.
The synthetic stock will be much higher quality.
The Sako may have an option for a set trigger. Many do.
... everything .... everything ...

I know I would be a lot more convincing if I had a Sako. I dont have a Mercedes either. I just know. I do have a savage, fwiw.

The over all looks are night and day! It is just off the charts. Savage ugly beyond words, Sako is a beauty. Even the plastic Sako's look good.
Old May 14, 2018, 03:59 PM   #14
Wendyj

I am a huge fan of Tikkas and Sako asn I own my share of them. My first 308 was a Savage Hog Hunter and I shot just as good groups with good glass on it as I did the Remington Milspec I paid over a $1000 for. I still have the sights in my gun box with rings and things I keep. I had great time banging steel out to 600 yards with it. I thought I upgraded but didn't. It's on the heavy side for hunting. I don't have a Tikka in a 308 as I quit shooting the caliber. It does not hold value though. I got $200 for trade in on the Remington. After a Range trip the Hog Hunter outshot it. Go figure. Lots of cheap sub moa rifles out there now.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:03 PM   #15
RC20

Quote:

Plenty of reports, I have one in a Pencil 270 that I took off for the action

Before I did I tried shooting it. 1 1/4 at best, firths one hit and then the other two over 1 1/14 inch.

The Sako 270 had no such issues, dialed right in and under 1 MOA and 5 shot not 3 shot groups.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:09 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
Open sites can be useful for the minority who have the confidence and ability to use them.
I have the confidence to use them, and I enjoy shooting with them on a rifle that was designed to have them. The problem with most rifles today is the stocks were designed for scopes, this puts your head out of position to use the sights. I haven't handled the current HH or the Sako, but I'm willing to bet the Sako sights are easier to use. To me the Savage sights were thrown on as an after thought.
Old May 14, 2018, 06:32 PM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
is the Sako really worth 3+ x as much as the Savage ($499 vs $1,599)? If so, I'm curious as to what the big differentiators are?
Sako is not a promo grade or entry rifle or a clone of anything. Shoulder a Sako sometime. You'll feel and notice the difference between American and Finland made.__ Oh U-bet-cha.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:41 AM   #18
Blade37db

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
Sako is not a promo grade or entry rifle or a clone of anything. Shoulder a Sako sometime. You'll feel and notice the difference between American and Finland made.__ Oh U-bet-cha.
I'm sure they are beautiful rifles and would love to hold one (specifically the Black Bear, but any would do). Problem is I don't find many (if any) in the multiple stores I frequent...and some have a very good inventory (of other brands of bolt actions).
Old May 15, 2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Rifletom

I have a Sako Finnbear L61R, wood/blued in .270 Win. Hands down, my favorite and most accurate "big game" rifle. It's a work of art. But, post #12 had me laughing. It's so true!
Makes perfect sense.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:30 AM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
but I want my long guns to have irons.
Me too-and I don't care how "high end" the rifle is. I find it odd that mostly only low-priced rifles come with iron sights and even they are hard to come by. Most everyone scopes a bolt-action rifle anymore, no matter how much the gun costs in the first place.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:53 PM   #21
RC20

Quote:
I have a Sako Finnbear L61R, wood/blued in .270 Win. Hands down, my favorite and most accurate "big game" rifle. It's a work of art. But, post #12 had me laughing. It's so true!
Makes perfect sense.
I would not be shooting the Sako if it was not a family gun.

Lower cost options and better for what I do.

Value is in the eyes of the be-shooter. Some like fine machinery and some are fine with what does the job.

No write (pun intended) or wrong answer - just the facts.

note: most low end guns do not come with iron sights. I.e. a feature they can drop along with the prices.
Old May 15, 2018, 02:36 PM   #22
Husqvarna

I still see guys with 40-50 year old sakos and some slightly younger tikkas. Never see an old savage

My father has a tikka that still shots 0,5Moa and most importantly very consistent poi even with different bullet weights and powderloads

I have had two savages an m10 and an Axis, Yes good accuracy but several small issues
The worst being the m10 who had the Bolt handle unsxrew and fall of when cycling
The Axis was just crude

Finally got rid of the m10 when the stock Split all by itself

I would go t3x totally worth it
Sako are better but not that much as the price says
Old May 16, 2018, 06:27 AM   #23
Saltydog235

I have 3 Sako, 3 Savages and 3 Tikka now among others. They all have very similar accuracy characteristics but it stops there. The Savage is like that loose but ugly girl in high school, fun to be with as long as you’re not seen. The Tikka isn’t bad but they’re LA, one size fits all, closed ejection port and two lug bolt, just a good solid girl. The Sako is a Supermodel, fantastic trigger, super slick bolt, CRF in the 85, great ergonomics, shoulders easy and typically will shoot a tad better. I’m fat and ugly but I take my supermodels on dates a lot more, they’re simply better guns. I don’t mind the cost either, I like nice things.
Old May 16, 2018, 08:23 AM   #24
Jim567

I own two Savage model 11 hog hunters. Stock.
One in .223 and one in .308.
Both can shoot 1/2” groups with Hornady steel match.
I tried to upload target photos from the range last week but couldn’t figure out how to do it from my phone.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:11 AM   #25
Guv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
The ONLY thing keeping me from owning a Sako is the price. I think they are worth the cost. I may yet get one someday. Comparing a savage and sako is pretty extreme. There must be quite a few middle ground options. The Tikka was mentioned. I would take that over a savage and its not a lot of money.

What is the difference? How about a Mercedes vs a Yugo? it is the same deal. Everything is different, Sako being better.

The Sako vastly superior fit and finish of everything.
The Sako most likely be more accurate.
The Sako bolt will be faster and smother.
The synthetic stock will be much higher quality.
The Sako may have an option for a set trigger. Many do.
... everything .... everything ...

I know I would be a lot more convincing if I had a Sako. I dont have a Mercedes either. I just know. I do have a savage, fwiw.

The over all looks are night and day! It is just off the charts. Savage ugly beyond words, Sako is a beauty. Even the plastic Sako's look good.
MB vs Yugo is a very bad comparison.
Yugo's were mechanically an old worn out Fiat and very poor quality. And barely functional!
The Savage is not flashy but is well made and far from poor quality.
It is every bit as functional as the Sako.

Last edited by Guv; May 16, 2018 at 11:29 AM.