The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2016, 11:45 AM   #1
tklau000

help with 375 h&h mag reloads

Hoping for some advice here reloading 375 h&h mag with 66.5 gr. Of 4064 an 300 gr. Sierra first 20 shot great then stuck bolt flat primers an stuck cases in chamber oh yah an using cci 250 primers some people said cci 250 isn't igniting it but I do not know was gunna try wlrm primers cases are trimmed exact an no where near the land all is sierra hand book specifications just curious what direction to go
Old April 28, 2016, 12:44 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

66.5 of IMR4064 is 1.5 over max according to Hodgdon. Manuals do vary though.
CCI 250s are magnum primers. Magnum primers are about the powder used, NOT the cartridge name. IMR4064 doesn't need 'em.
"...stuck bolt, flat primers and stuck cases in chamber..." Indicates seriously excessive pressure. Kind of hard to imagine just 1.5 over max is the cause though. You may be seeing high pressures caused by the magnum primer. Try a regular LR primer.
Old April 28, 2016, 01:38 PM   #3
us920669

If this is 375 Holland & Holland and IMR 4064, several sources I checked show 66.5 as close to max but certainly below it, and magnum rifle primers are correct. This also agrees with my own personal experiences. I never used 4064 in 375 but I have used other stick powders that appear in the data. In fact, most data on this cartridge allows for old British rifles; modern rifles should be good for more. Do you use a digital scale? I've had mental malfunctions where a different number looks right for a second. I really suspect some kind of never-happen-again fluke. I would fix up a few more, starting lower and working up to 66.5.
Old April 28, 2016, 01:55 PM   #4
tklau000

Yah all my books say magnum primer as well I think hornady is one that doesn't.I was thinking of the wlrm primers just in case my cci 250 were acting strange but it shot em good an then not so good hodgdon said there max is less than my load but hodgdon is a little more light than most books
Old April 28, 2016, 01:57 PM   #5
tklau000

An sorry about Grammer not much of a computer person I got on this forum today because I have heard people on here have good knowledge when it comes to reloading.....
Old April 28, 2016, 04:27 PM   #6
condor bravo

The first 20 rounds were fine. Was the next round that overloaded from a subsequent loading session or part of the same session? Especially if from the next session, It sounds like an overload managed to sneak in some way. Perhaps if measuring each round by scale, the scale adjustment became offset in error by an additional 5 grains or something along that order. Did you disassemble any of the remaining rounds and check the charges? I assume that no more were fired after the overload. With the balance beam scale that I use to set the powder measure, I can guess that something like that could happen. Perhaps thinking that the scale is still set to 66.5 grains, it may have been bumped up unintentionally to 71.5 grains or so.

Last edited by condor bravo; April 28, 2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 28, 2016, 09:11 PM   #7
us920669

I've come closer to making mistakes since I left the old balance scale and went digital. I write the number down now and put the piece of paper beside the scale. Of course you still have to remember to look at them. The 21st round thing might be important too. Was it a fresh loading session, or maybe a fresh shooting session? A lot of people would think 20 rds of 375 was enough for one sitting. Something about the rifle might have changed and run pressure up. Elmer Kieth told a story how a dauber wasp puttied-up one of his chambers and blew his sixgun up. Could be a lot of things. I would just check everything real good and work the load up again. You may never know.
Old April 28, 2016, 11:17 PM   #8
tklau000

All loads were done at one session of reloading 10 rounds.the beam scale is still sitting at 66.5 I looked when I got home an I pulled bullets to re weigh all was perfect could it be primers???pretty frustrating to get a hole shooter an this pop up.I was gunna work back up from 65 to my 66.5 load with wlrm primers gun is clean iv checked nearly everything but haven't tried a new primer could this possibly help?thanks for all the responses an help with this
Old April 29, 2016, 07:10 AM   #9
us920669

You might dump some powder onto a piece of paper under good light and make sure the kernels are all the same. Ages ago I had a kernel of IMR something-else land in my pan. I got excited and mailed it back and they said once in a while when they change product a bit might stick in the equipment. One kernel wouldn't matter but if a clump came through it could cause serious contamination. I just can't see how one primer from the same lot could make that much difference. If you figure anything out let us know.
Old April 29, 2016, 01:28 PM   #10
tklau000

I am going to work load up from 65,65.5,66,66.5 with same powder an wlrm primers an see if anything changes again I use cci primers for everything so I doubt that's it an I bought a new pound of 4064 I might use on this go around.imr 4064 is not temp sensitive is it I didn't think it was anyways?
Old May 1, 2016, 06:17 PM   #11
tklau000

Could altitude change pressure loaded in oklahoma an now in north Dakota is when pressure sighns came up??
Old May 1, 2016, 07:22 PM   #12
us920669

It would be so slight you could only measure it with sophisticated equipment. Something really dramatic happened with yours. Did you decide to try another bullet?
Old May 1, 2016, 11:58 PM   #13
tklau000

I am still using sierra.Is it possible to push the case neck to far back an cause pressure issues like over size it an still would chamber?
Old May 2, 2016, 12:31 AM   #14
condor bravo

Not quite sure what you are asking but you could be aluding to possibly over crimping during bullet seating and pushing the shoulder back excessively. However when that happens the case body immediately below the shoulder is usually bulged and the round would probably not chamber. But since the round did chamber, and as far as you know it chambered normally, that probably is not a consideration in this incident but just something to be familiar with in the future. Bulging can happen with excessive crimping since the case is not supported by the inside of the die at that point. But on the other hand, if the bolt was closed over a bulge but with excessive force, could that raise pressure? That question remains unanswered but I wouldn't think so.

If your question relates to pushing the shoulder back excessively during sizing, I wouldn't think the pressure would increase as much as what you experienced. The case would just fireform with some stretching.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 5, 2016, 07:54 PM   #15
tklau000

I did a ladder test from min to almost max an am still getting ejector marks on cases an pretty excessive kick with the imr 4064 an 300 gr. Sierra GK any thoughts
Old May 5, 2016, 09:14 PM   #16
condor bravo

It appears you may have to settle for the load that fails to display excessive pressure rather than trying to push to the limit. The brass you are using could make some difference. I suppose Remington and Winchester cases are the most commonly used for the .375. I just weighed one of each. With spent primers still intact the Winchester case weighed 246.5 grains and the Remington 10 grains higher at 256.5. It is common for Remington cases to outweigh Winchester cases per given caliber. So if you are using Remingtons or even Federals that would probably be heavier yet, you might want to try Winchesters for perhaps slightly more velocity before pressure becomes noticeable. But the 10 grain difference between the two is not all that much considering the size of the case.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:31 PM   #17
condor bravo

Have you considered going with a different bullet like a 270 grain Hornady? One of the most consistently accurate .375 bullet I have come across is the 235 grain Speer, not for elephants of course but for light game, those having been used with a Model 70 Win. Is your preference for the 300 grain Sierra for accuracy purposes? I just checked my notes on the 300 Sierra fired from a Remington 700 and I just indicated the accuracy as "OK", with the Hornadies and Speers superior. I guess the just "OK" notation accounts for having almost a full box of the Sierra 300 bullets remaining (for sale cheaply).

Last edited by condor bravo; May 7, 2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old May 7, 2016, 09:08 PM   #18
tklau000

I am getting a weird like kinda groove all the way around the case were the neck meets the shoulder is this normal
Old May 7, 2016, 09:30 PM   #19
Six Pack

I agree with Condor Bravo's suggestion about the bullets. I use the 270 gr Hornady with an almost max load of RL15 in my Model 70. It will usually print all holes touching about the size of a quarter or a little more. The 260 gr Nosler AB or Partition will do about the same. Great bullets for plains game but I would likely use the 300 gr Partition or A Frame for large bears or buffalo.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:54 AM   #20
condor bravo

No a groove at the shoulder/neck junction is not at all normal. Does this occur after sizing, or after bullet seating, or after firing? And are you crimping the bullet? If still using the 300 grain Sierra, it does not have a crimping cannelure and normally crimping should not be done. Note from post #14 that over crimping can create a bulge around the case body just below the shoulder and this would become apparent during chambering. Lube dents can occur on the shoulder if excessive lube is applied to that area and not removed prior to sizing. But a groove around the shoulder/neck junction appears to be something usually not encountered.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 8, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old May 8, 2016, 01:51 PM   #21
condor bravo

Trying to come up with an explanation of the shoulder/neck groove that could also contribute to the high pressure issue, I may have stumbled onto a possibility. First of all, I'll assume that your rifle has a standard commercially produced chamber of proper dimensions. That will be the good news but if the chamber is short throated, that could contribute to the issue. Next, what is the history of the brass you have been using? Is it essentially new or has it been reloaded a number of times, perhaps excessively? If the latter the cases may have elongated to the point where the chambered round results in the case mouth contacting the mating surface at the end of the chamber. Upon firing, should the shoulder move forward, the case neck would not be able to move with it and perhaps result in the groove you are referring to as the shoulder attempts to force the neck forward also. And that might conceivably contribute to the high pressure. So the possible solution here might be to check the length of your cases and trim if needed to prevent case mouths from contacting the mating surface at chamber's end.

I guess that is the reason why we trim brass. And since most reloaders do not allow their brass to elongate to the point of contributing to high pressure, and the resulting shoulder/neck groove if that is related, it is not immediately obvious how the results would display when excessively case elongation is allowed to happen. A photo of the shoulder/neck groove would be desirable but it seems to be well enough explained.

The Lyman manual shows the .375 case length as 2.850 with trim to length as 2.840.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 8, 2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:37 PM   #22
tklau000

All cases are trimmed 2.840 exact an it's new brass.I am getting the groove around neck after shooting .the gun went to smith an checked out in excellent condition ???????now what I'm running outta options
Old May 9, 2016, 12:22 AM   #23
condor bravo

Yes I guess we are all running out of options by now. Did the smith have any comments or suggestions as to the cause of the grooves or anything else related? I assume he was able to verify that the chamber was not short throated which could result in the same effects as overly stretched brass. What rifle have you been using, I don't recall that it has been mentioned. This is a difficult situation that should have an answer.
Old May 9, 2016, 01:17 PM   #24
tklau000

Remington model 700 safari grade with sendero barrel
Old May 9, 2016, 01:41 PM   #25
condor bravo

I have two model 700 Remington .375s with standard contour and length barrels so I agree your rifle is top of the line. Did your smith have anything to add about the situation? Especially about the shoulder/neck grooves around the fired cases?

Last edited by condor bravo; May 9, 2016 at 02:17 PM.